Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Define Kobolds  (Read 21553 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Define Kobolds
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 07:39:11 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's in this book, which is not quite as old as me, but not so far away either.

I used to have the picture in digital form, but I can't find it.  The page is probably buried off somewhere.  It was a binder with individual sheets, so they were easy to lose.

If only I had a scanner...I have that....

Bah! Just make a picture with a mobile phone at least. :P

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 08:51:30 pm »

I asked at a D&D forum, and got linked this image: Kobolds.  Is this the right one?
no, those still look kinda dog/dragon like.

When you see a snout, reject it.  This thing has it's face smashed in like a pug.

Maybe it's not the specific image, but it looks about right.  Shortswords, spears, and tunics.  Grubby thief looking varmint-men, civilized folk laughing at them as they casually attack.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 07:08:50 am »

Maybe kobolds come in races like dogs do? Snouted kobolds, pug kobolds, bulldog kobolds, cocker spaniel kobolds.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 07:21:43 am »

Maybe kobolds come in races like dogs do? Snouted kobolds, pug kobolds, bulldog kobolds, cocker spaniel kobolds.

oh! i want a golden retriever kobold! He can fetch my slippers every morning before i take him for a walk!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 08:05:36 am »

For some reason I get the impression that Kobolds are related to the Rhino

In the sense that they are mammals with scales. (please don't correct this... I said impression)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 09:25:57 am »

I have a fort on a freezing mountain and dead Kobald keep appearing around the edges.  I never discover them beforehand.  I think they might be reptiles.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 02:58:09 pm »

Kobolds remind me of mice, so before 3rd edition D&D (I hated draconian kobolds at first, but slowly grew to love them thanks to the lore), I always pictured little mouse people. They steal things, are extremely cowardly, live in massive groups, and are smarter than they look.

Fun facts about mice, which may or may not apply to kobolds. Most of this applies to rats, too:

They can have more than 16 young in a litter, and can become pregnant in the 24 hours after giving birth. It takes three weeks for a litter to be born, and the new babies arrive just as the old ones are weaned.

They live like two years tops. The oldest mouse ever is five years old and he's on a calorie restricted diet and gets lots of exercise in a laboratory setting. As a tradeoff for this short lifespan, they live their lives in fast forward, going through a higher percentage (by body mass) of calories in a day than even the most active human. They eat a ton to keep up this energy level, and sleep in short increments and are active throughout the day (kind of like living several little days in one of ours).

Mice are fastidiously clean, which is the only way to survive when you have large groups of animals living in confined spaces.

Rats (but not mice as far as I know) can be trained to use tools, but don't do it naturally. Maybe they are copying what the higher races make by stealing the objects, then learning about them?

Mice and rats have extremely poor eyesight, but make up for it with powerful scent and hearing, and a tactile sense via their whiskers that is many times more sensitive than our fingertips.

Old stories of kobolds go back to german copper miners, who would find cobalt that looked a lot like copper ore. This being the middle ages, the only obvious explanation was that a spirit called a kobold did it.

INTERESTING STUFF
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 03:17:33 pm »

I have a fort on a freezing mountain and dead Kobald keep appearing around the edges.  I never discover them beforehand.  I think they might be reptiles.

Or it might be because they typically show up with little more than a loincloth on.  If that.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 03:25:30 pm »

Or it might be because they typically show up with little more than a loincloth on.  If that.
Well, I've had a donkey chained outside for ages and all it has to show for it is a full-body bruise.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 03:29:50 pm »

Donkeys have 3 4 fat and 100 layering though.  Kobolds have 1 fat and don't even have a layering entry.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 03:57:39 pm »

Donkeys have 3 4 fat and 100 layering though.  Kobolds have 1 fat and don't even have a layering entry.

So judging from that they're more meattyerur, so I say that picture Fieari posted is correct.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 05:21:17 pm »

So judging from that they're more meattyerur, so I say that picture Fieari posted is correct.

Kinda I would think.  Bigger eyes and smaller ears.  Its just a mini goblin with bigger eyes from the book toady pointed out.
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2008, 01:24:40 pm »

Meet Greengus:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
From annother angle:
He's not exactly done, yet (he won't be red after the firing) but right now he does look like most kobolds 30 seconds after they've been spotted. I'm also not sure if he's how the Adams Bros. picture them, but he's exactly what I think of.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2008, 10:12:19 am »

Meet Greengus:
From annother angle:
He's not exactly done, yet (he won't be red after the firing) but right now he does look like most kobolds 30 seconds after they've been spotted. I'm also not sure if he's how the Adams Bros. picture them, but he's exactly what I think of.

That's awesome.  Is he occurring?
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2008, 11:53:48 am »

Well, he's out of the firing now, looks great. I'll try to take some good pictures next time I can find a real camera.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4