Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie Farming Problems  (Read 605 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Newbie Farming Problems
« on: November 30, 2008, 03:41:35 am »

Hey everyone!  I found Dwarf Fortress a few days ago, and with some help from the people that showed it to me, got my first fortress mostly built, and almost have all the basic requirements for life set up.  I have access to both a ground level river, and some small ponds/lakes that go deep enough for an underwater water source, should the need arise.  I am set up in a forest, with a sand floor, making base digging fast and easy.  However, two z-levels down I have access to plenty limestone, and have also found some bauxite.  Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting the farms set up.

From what I understand, building farm plots on sand (underground) should work.  I built a small (5x5) room near the entrance to my fortress and designated a farm plot that covered it completely.  The plot shows up as needing construction, but my farmer crawled down my mine shaft and won't some back out to build the plots. 

Here's what I've tried/checked so far...
  • The mineshaft exit is not obstructed, as my miners have come and gone multiple times.
  • The plot is completely underground, with no holes in the roof.  No tile is considered above ground, or lit.
  • The farmer was acting as a stone mover, and backup miner in the mean time, but now has all mining jobs disabled.
  • The farmer isn't performing any other jobs, and is idle.

I've run out of ideas, and my friends haven't written back to me about this problem for a substantial period of time.  If you have any idea what may be happening, please let me know.  My thanks in advance to anyone who helps,

Timothy
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Farming Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 03:52:50 am »

Does he have the farming labor on? (lulz)

Maybe another farmer is tasked to build it.

Or you just got some new bug. Good for you.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 03:57:01 am »

Yeah, is farming (fields) on?

Just wait a bit and it should fix itself, sometimes it takes a while for the orders to reset/refresh.
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 04:51:16 am »

Well, I waited for a while before giving up and canceling the plot and trying it again.  Unfortunately, it appeared to be working, but on the way back up my farmer got killed when a single tile collapsed from the floor above her in the mineshaft (I guess that's what I get for using a sand ceiling with no supports.....).  Unfortunately, this also blocked the only exit (I was actually preparing to dig an extra exit shaft too....), trapping two other dwarfs, as well as my only two picks, several layers underground.  Among the other two dwarfs that were trapped was my backup food source, a forager.  With two units of food left, and just entering summer, I did the merciful thing and buried the rest of my dwarfs and abandoned the fortress... losing is fun :P

On to my next attempt.  Maybe this time I'll be able to bring a better set of skills/items :P

Thanks for your help guys!
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 05:05:38 am »

Eh, that's odd, because sand floors don't just detatch from the roofs...

Still, good luck this time then!

+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 05:16:43 am »

Huh.... could something have happened on top of or next to that tile that may have caused it to fall?

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 05:22:58 am »

Were you chanelling out anything next to the tile that fell or anything?

Doesn't matter anymore I guess, I'm just not sure about what might have made it fall...
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 05:46:31 am »

Tha Dwarves, they have magical mining skills, if they dig in tha sand it doesin collapse, unless you completely detach them from the cave walls, or floors...

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 06:19:33 am »

Wait.... do they connect to ramps?  Cause it was the middle that fell, and it was surrounded by either stairs or ramps (I forget which I was using at the time).  Heck, I bet one of the other two dwarfs was building the last ramp/stair when it collapsed.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 07:00:10 am »

I don't think ramps support things, but stairs surely do.
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity