Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommend a mod  (Read 1529 times)

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recommend a mod
« on: November 29, 2008, 08:31:48 pm »

As I intend to start a new fortress soon, I'd like to take that opportunity to try out a mod or two that improve the existing game. Keeping in mind that I want to still play as dwarves rather than samurai, goblins or romans, which ones are the best?

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a mod
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 09:25:06 pm »

In my experience, modding in orcs generally makes for a fun time, fortress-wise.
The original thread can be found here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26858.0

I messed with mine a bit, like changing the 'c' in orc to a 'k' and making them a bit less powerful. At one point, mine were so powerful that 15 (non-legendary) Orks decimated my 5 Champions along with the rest of my army. Fun to watch, I suppose. But not so great for my fort.

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 09:27:51 pm »

As I intend to start a new fortress soon, I'd like to take that opportunity to try out a mod or two that improve the existing game. Keeping in mind that I want to still play as dwarves rather than samurai, goblins or romans, which ones are the best?

I'd recommend the minerals mod. Its gives you a fair bit of fun stuff to play around with.

Go here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=18931.0
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 11:34:45 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've started the new fort with both mods. Only time will tell if I need to nerf the orcs as you did.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 12:10:50 am »

If you really want a challenge, go with the GOBLIN FAMILY
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 05:07:50 am »

Just install the modbase and pick every desired element.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

Does Modbase work on Mac?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »

I don't think that it does, but then I have never had much opportunity to experiment with it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 11:28:43 am »

KOLBOLD CAMP!!

Best. mod. evar.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 03:39:20 pm »

I'd recommend the minerals mod. Its gives you a fair bit of fun stuff to play around with.

I have just discovered the fatal flaw in this mod: discovering inobtanite is treated the same as discovering adamantine for the purposes of attracting a king, but unlike adamantine, inobtanite can be found anywhere, even on the surface! I just abandoned my fortress when the king arrived in the summer of the second year.

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 04:03:07 pm »

I have just discovered the fatal flaw in this mod: discovering inobtanite is treated the same as discovering adamantine for the purposes of attracting a king, but unlike adamantine, inobtanite can be found anywhere, even on the surface! I just abandoned my fortress when the king arrived in the summer of the second year.

Yes, I experienced that, too...luckily, they all wandered into a nest of skeletal ogres.

It was beautiful.

'course, you could just change the RAWs so it shows up less and not on the ground.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf