Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 553 times)

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newbie questions
« on: November 29, 2008, 05:52:54 pm »

So I just recently heard about how fun this game is from /v/ and wanted to try it out, so I download it but I have a few questions first...

1. Should I do some major read-up on the controls and such first? Or should I just go dicking around until I get the swing of things?

2. Adventure or Fortress first? Which is fun for what?

3. I heard something about "2 different kinds of graphics" or something

4. Whats this about playing as a "human Village"?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 06:03:47 pm »

Adventure is like ADOM, or kind of like NetHack, or those things.  Fortress is where it's at!

If you're starting fortress mode, this article got me started with my first fortress: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Your_first_fortress  It's essentially a step by step of the first year or so.  The wiki is excellent reading on any subject DF-related.

The default graphics are based on ASCII, but they're not really ASCII -- there are other graphic sets that you can use instead (Mayday's being the most popular). 
Various character sets: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/List_of_user_character_sets
Various graphic sets: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/List_of_user_graphics_sets

As for the human village: you can mod the game so that instead of playing the dwarves, you play the humans.  (Or goblins.  Or what have you.)  Don't know much about it, but you should be able to find more info in the modding forum.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Mikko

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 06:08:59 pm »

So I just recently heard about how fun this game is from /v/ and wanted to try it out, so I download it but I have a few questions first...

1. Should I do some major read-up on the controls and such first? Or should I just go dicking around until I get the swing of things?

2. Adventure or Fortress first? Which is fun for what?

3. I heard something about "2 different kinds of graphics" or something

4. Whats this about playing as a "human Village"?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. READ FOR GOD'S SAKE

2. This is up to you, I don't prefer neither, and they are pretty much a different game (Tho, getting                      to the legends is fucking awesome.

3. Ask someone else. Tho, you would probably like to try Mike MayDay's graphics http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm

4. Modding the humans as an playable race; more info on www.dwarffortresswiki.net, the holy secretary of all DF knowledge.

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 06:20:33 pm »

Mikko

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 06:26:42 pm »

No matter what anyone says, I am going to use the original one. Forever.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 06:57:34 pm »

I use the original one as well, but I grew up playing rogue and hack.  It's all just preference.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 05:30:24 am »

1) Well, the game is complex, and it takes time to learn it.  Be prepared to start and abandon a few fortresses as you get the hang of things, as there will be planning aspects you won't be able to foresee in the beginning of your DF career.  There's so much info to take in that I'd be bored stiff just reading up on stuff before playing, so I usually have the wiki running in the background for quick reference.  As time goes on, though, a mastery of menus and keyboard shortcuts are essentially to game enjoyment.

Be sure to read up on how stockpiles work, though, and take the time to use them properly.

2) The choice is yours, of course.  I've never even played adventure, since I've been so engrossed in learning how to master fortress.

3) I use May Green's (http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm) tileset.  You can download the latest version of DF with the tileset preinstalled directly from the website.  Highly recommended.

4) Don't know nothin' bout no stinkin human village.  Sorry.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 06:02:24 am »

I'd suggest you start off playing.  That way you can learn what to read up on.  Lose a few fortresses for various reasons and then you'll have some knowledge of the game so that you can better understand what your reading.  Reading up on how to get windmills chained together and build massive pumping stations is all well and good, but if your still trying to survive your first year, then it's not that important.

Adventure mode can be entertaining, and I often embark in adventure first to try and explore my new worlds before building up on them, but occasionally it's fun to mod in a goblin playable civ, build up a goblin fort and then abandon and go crusading against your own creation.

I use the originals.  They're actually pretty intuitive if you've played many ascii based games.

I'd save modding for later.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?