Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FIXED_TEMP  (Read 1281 times)

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FIXED_TEMP
« on: November 28, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »

I know that you can use melting point and boiling point on stones, but I'm wondering if I can make certain stones have fixed temperatures.  I've heard stories of dwarves wearing fire imp leather items and bursting into flames because of them, so I think items can have fixed temps, but I'm not certain.  Does anyone know or should I just add [FIXED_TEMP:4000000] to all soil layers and see if things burst into flames?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: FIXED_TEMP
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 09:59:31 pm »

Adding it to soil layers would be a bad idea... metal bars, on the other hand, might work just fine.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 10:01:55 pm »

I'm just trying to see if it actually works on matgloss items.  If it does, then that's pretty good, I can make ice demons drop magically cold stones and have the occasionally magical area of stone that is strangely cold/hot.  It also opens up the possibility of weapons that deal damage not just because they're sharp.

EDIT: Well, doesn't do anything on soil types.  Probably because they don't leave anything behind.  Gonna try it on stones and bring some along.
EDIT2: Gah...  Nothing.  Seems that only works on creatures.  Maybe I could make smelter reactions that use some arbitrary creature entry that has no biome tags (ala Wizards) to make stones with fixed temps...  Not going to try it as it would take too long for my tastes.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 10:14:59 pm by Taritus »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »

Stones can't be given fixed temperatures, no, but you can set their heat damage point to something below regular temperatures, which in theory would make them burst into flame when they're mined anyway.
I'd have to check the raws to give you something more exact, but it should work.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 09:09:21 am »

Adding it to soil layers would be a bad idea...
I thought that was the point?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 11:29:59 am »

Adding it to soil layers wouldn't do anything.
They aren't flammable and do not, in fact, produce any items (except sand, but...) thus cannot do anything with flame.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 07:14:18 am »

I don't have the info at hand right now - do fire imps have the fixed_temp in the raws?

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 07:15:29 am »

This would definitely make for some interesting testing. If the imp leather is indeed a fixed_temp object and if we made a sword that had spikes of imp leather, would the sword do heat damage?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 03:14:10 pm »

glad someone tested this. I was wondering about fixed temp stones.making a "freezer" could have all sorts of useful applications. Like storing things you don't want to accidentally ignite...

And a "heat-stone"... well, now - you could drop it on things with a low(er) ignition point to light them up! a controlable 2-part way to start fires? yes please. (flammable things to be kept in "freezer").

alas, it looks like this is not to be.

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]