Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miners turned soldiers won't mine again after going off duty.  (Read 504 times)

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
Miners turned soldiers won't mine again after going off duty.
« on: November 28, 2008, 09:25:28 pm »

I was experimenting with squads for a bit and decided to add in my miners into an existing squad consisting of a ranger and a woodcutter/carpenter. I had some fun issuing them some orders but after I stood them down they won't pick up their picks from the weapons bin and go back to mining. The ranger and woodcutter on the other hand continued doing their jobs as usual. I'm not sure how to get these lazy buggers to pick up their picks again. Is there a workaround to this or something?

Also, another thing that irked me is that although I had assigned them to carry swords (which was all I had in stock), the miners simply dropped their picks when reequipping but didn't pick up the swords (is it because they're made of wood? I got 'em from the elves :-P ). And when I stood down the squad I noticed they just dropped their squad equipment on the ground went elsewhere and then came back to pick up the stuff one by one and return it to the bins.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miners turned soldiers won't mine again after going off duty.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 09:58:48 pm »

They're probably carrying things in their hands.  You'll need to check their inventories and see what all is in their hands.  If they have something, go into the stocks menu and designate those items for dumping.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 10:09:11 pm »

Aye, I read the other thread about dwarf archers and checked my miner's inventory. They weren't holding anything. While they were on duty they did pick up bucklers like I assigned them to but their left hand remained empty.

edit: Just got myself some new immigrants and assigned them mining labor. They went and picked up the picks the other two left behind. The old miners have been stripped down to mining labors only but they still aren't doing anything even with some picks left in stock :-(
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 10:12:31 pm by amade »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 10:39:47 pm »

Try setting them to woodcutting, and then when they fetch an axe, back to mining?

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 03:06:09 am »

Ah, I got it now. If you set your miners to hold weapons it cancels their mining job so I had to set it back to unarmed after I deactivate the squad.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯