Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just started back up  (Read 861 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just started back up
« on: November 28, 2008, 09:06:20 pm »

Well after a long time of not playing DF I think its time to start playing again. To be honest I've been waiting for the next version of DF to come out but I was growing bored. Anyway I've been looking through worlds to find an "ideal" spot and I came upon one that I like. It has a chasm, magma pipe, lots o trees, and HFS. Thing is I've no experience with chasms and I wanted to get some advice (along with offering other people this spot) on where I should start digging the entrance of my fort (I don't know how aggressive the creatures are). Heres a map of the place
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4035-grizzlesabre
and my prefered starting level is the level below my dwarves. I know the graphics look a bit funky but I had downloaded the most recent Mayday package and found the defualt graphics to be different. To be honest I prefered the other graphics than these newer ones but switching them ran into problems, I'll work on that later. This world is with the Sage Vs. Sodom Mod. So whatcha guys think?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Just started back up
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 09:15:18 pm »

Well it doesn't look like there are many flying creatures (if any-I didn't see any) so you should be able to dig in fairly close as long as you don't dig into the chasms ledges.  Enjoy the silk!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 09:51:42 pm »

Well it doesn't look like there are many flying creatures (if any-I didn't see any) so you should be able to dig in fairly close as long as you don't dig into the chasms ledges.  Enjoy the silk!
There are I think around 3-7 flying units and I think 10-15 ground units that are able to move towards me. I'm thinking of digging straight down right now but I want to wait for some more advice.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 11:03:19 pm »

There are I think around 3-7 flying units and I think 10-15 ground units that are able to move towards me. I'm thinking of digging straight down right now but I want to wait for some more advice.
Doors are your friends, so make stair well in the nearby cliff face with double doors to seal it off from the animals.

Farms are your friends too, make a 5x5 booze farm and a 5x5 food farm, you may need soils, so dig under soil to your right and you'll save some time by bypassing the tedious tasks of irrigating rock surfaces.

If you have cats, cage them as fast as possible, so make a carpenter's workshop with rocks, then cut some trees down, then designate some cage creation, set up the cage, then shove them furries into it, deconstruct after it is finished.

Make 3x3 bedrooms for 25 and call it a night.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:10:22 pm by Foa »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 11:50:18 pm »

Doors are your friends, so make stair well in the nearby cliff face with double doors to seal it off from the animals.

Farms are your friends too, make a 5x5 booze farm and a 5x5 food farm, you may need soils, so dig under soil to your right and you'll save some time by bypassing the tedious tasks of irrigating rock surfaces.

If you have cats, cage them as fast as possible, so make a carpenter's workshop with rocks, then cut some trees down, then designate some cage creation, set up the cage, then shove them furries into it, deconstruct after it is finished.

Make 3x3 bedrooms for 25 and call it a night.
I'm not new to the game, I've played for 6 months at least, I'm just new to having a chasm around.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 07:03:09 am »

Chasm beasties aren't that problematic unless you dig to the land crawling ones. If its not open air then as long as you leave it untouched you have no worries. If its open air you may get some flying monsters like batman and stuff like that coming out. They usualy are as challenging as goblin theives but won't necessarly come out straight away. Keep a little military squad near at end for when they do or stick a marksdwarf or two on te ledge to put holes through them.

When it comes to taking them on not that problematic of a challenge unless you get some semi mega beast like the big phantom mean spiders. less challenging then HFS for sure a squad or two of wrestlers etc. can deal with chasm beasts easily.

If you don't feel like bothering to go in there with dwarfs use "dwarven engeneering". Burn or flood it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 07:34:21 am »

Of course, all this is assuming there is no giant cave spider.  While those are not as strong as they used to be, I think they start out hidden, and apparently the tag that gives them web shooting abilities allows them to fly, according to the wiki.  They can also paralyze your dwarves with either web or venom.  If you have GCS you are in big trouble.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 10:12:36 am »

Well I started out with the dwarf thats usually the all around craft dwarf turning her into a military dwarf as a crossbow or "coward" as the mod calls it. I'll figure something out on the entrance, thanks for the info.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 05:44:01 pm »

My one run in with mobs from my open air chasm has been a caveswallowman trapping one of my initial seven outside while he was unloading the wagon. So we had an unarmored and unarmed dwarf with no military experience (Pretty sure he was a non-miner as well, but considering 5 out of my initial 7 were set to mining duty, I could be wrong...although the miners would've been too busy mining) vs an undead caveswallowman. The dwarf shattered'em within a matter of seconds and had no injuries.

Not sure if that was pure luck, but I haven't worried about the chasm since. The only issue I've had at all up to this point was a lone harpy that triggered a stone trap. (Limiting my use of traps to three 3x1 stacks early on, to be removed once I have a standing military. Normally I'd not use them at all, but I can't spare a single dwarf for even temporary military duty at the moment. Even with four to five miners working, I'll barely be able to get my farm up and running before immigrants arrive. Between carving my extremely long entrance, of which there was a magma pool right in the center of, scouting out the underground river, which I got very lucky on, digging out the first level of my tree farm, and digging out the high volume water transportation system...it's taken a while ;p)