Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress in the future?  (Read 3290 times)

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress in the future?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 06:06:56 pm »

I'm really just waiting until Dwarf Fortress can be run using the human brain.

I'm ambivalent about how fancy I want the visual interface to be, though. Do I really need naked dwarven queens beamed directly into my brain? I don't think so.

It isn't much faster. I know. Water doesn't slow it down so much, but too much pathfinding is still a beast.

Oh, and it's still all ASCII anyway, so... yeah.

Diabl0658

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 05:22:51 pm »

When I read the title of this topic I thought "Dwarfs Space Fortress". Could you imagine making a fortress in an asteroid belt? No longer would we be burning goblins in magma, wed be flushing them out the airlock!

Seriously, one of you modders make this happen, now.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 05:35:28 pm »

Aye, running d7, using partial print, all current drivers (including motherboard and cpu drivers/bios) updated, and checking that thread daily.  Still ... man ... very slow once a fort gets interesting. :(

Well, people who have older comps got better FPS at least. That is an improvement also, correct?  :)

Borgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 06:44:06 pm »

Personally, I'm happy to stick with ASCII. An isometric graphical representation of the map would, in my mind, be too difficult to display without massive headaches. Currently, since multiple "things" can occupy the same tile, how would an isometric graphic scheme accomplish this? I actually like the ASCII scheme, as it's very simple and once you get the hang of things I actually think it's MORE intricate than a standard graphic scheme as it really lets your mind take control. Watching a white lowercase g get smashed upon some upward triangles is, in my mind, way cooler than seeing an ugly isometric goat whack up against a slope. The mental pictures more than make up for the current "poor" graphics.

Plus, honestly, I don't want nine-year-olds ruining the awesome game and forums that are currently populated by intelligent and masochistic persons like myself. Maybe that's selfish, but what do I care? ;)

As far as "speed" goes, I'm not having any problems with 40d6. I've managed to push my FPS up from about 30 on the standard 40d release to a solid 200... with a 3x3 embark area and 110 dwarves. I don't use reveal and I leave temperature/weather/et cetera on. The only speed-increasing option I use is partial print, which REALLY helps.

Plus, I'm running DF on a laptop with Vista. Hardly the optimal setup, and I still bet I could beat 1k FPS with a 1x1 embark area (using the appropriate memory hack) and a small population cap (maybe 25). That seems almost unnecessary, as it seems the game was built for maybe 100 FPS.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 08:23:59 pm »

Gameplay > Graphics
Because we all know you can not possibly have  a good game with decent graphics. Never !

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 08:33:57 pm »

Post-Singularity dwarf fortress will just create a new universe for you to rule as a God of Blood.
!!&!!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 07:40:52 am »

Gameplay > Graphics
Because we all know you can not possibly have  a good game with decent graphics. Never !

Depends on what you mean by "decent graphics". Dwarf Fortress + full 2D tile support [gfx/text separation] = perfectly enough for me. 32x32 2d tilesets can be amazing, if the gfx quality is decent. I am quite good with photoshop, so once Toady will separate txt and gfx, I will start to work on the graphics mod. ;)

DavesWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 10:51:07 am »

Don't get me wrong; DF (with some code optimization first) with graphics at least on the par of, say CivIV, or Empire Earth, or maybe (greedy) Dawn of War, would be *awesome*.  But I'll take the gameplay over the graphics.  Gameplay keeps me coming back.  Graphics are shiny for a few hours, then lose their luster.
I'm not proud of it, but we've run out of coffins
 - Robocorn, at the fortress of Battlefailed -

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 09:45:21 pm »

I am worried about the whole, "elephant occupying same space as a kitty" issue.

Possibly we could flip sprites? (Like in normal DF)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 11:09:54 am »

I am worried about the whole, "elephant occupying same space as a kitty" issue.

Possibly we could flip sprites? (Like in normal DF)

I am not really worried about that. It can work like it is working now in the vanilla ascii based game.
Pages: 1 [2]