Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can I add [FIREIMMUNE] to Dragons without having to regen?  (Read 2212 times)

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can I add [FIREIMMUNE] to Dragons without having to regen?
« on: November 28, 2008, 02:33:28 pm »

Can I add [FIREIMMUNE] to Dragons without having to regen? I want to cure my Dragons of fire next time they visit my fortress. I've already had two skeletal dragons and one normal.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Can I add [FIREIMMUNE] to Dragons without having to regen?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 02:50:01 pm »

The only times that your are required to regen is when you add a completely new creature or remove an entire old one. Though some ethic things that are qualified at world gen such as clothes will require regen. Just adding or removing tags does not require a regen.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 03:36:47 pm »

Thanks a ton! Can't wait to see my dragons not die from sitting on !!Stray Dog Tail!!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 05:47:04 pm »

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that will actually make dragons weaker.  They already have [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER].  On top of that, the fireimmune tags only make them resistant to fire breath attack (the super tag makes them immune to dragonfire breath).  It also has the side effect of making the creature think that they can walk into magma when they can't.  To make them immune to flaming objects (which the game considers different from the firebreath) they need to have a material tag that makes them have similar temperature resistances as a fire proof metal.  One tag that will work is [MATERIAL:METAL:(insert magma or fire proof metal token].  It will then be able to resist fiery objects.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:54:45 pm »

Fire Imps have this:

[HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
[IGNITE_POINT:13500]

Adding that to dragons will make them immune to magma and brushfires.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

Thanks! So add [HEATDAM_POINT:13000][IGNITE_POINT:13500] and also have [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] instead of both [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER][FIREIMMUNE], is that correct?

Also, if I have a dragon on my map already (I don't, just hypothetical), can I restart the game and add these settings and affect that dragon who's already on my map?

And finally, do I have to delete the data\objects folder every time I change the raws, or can I just leave them and they'll automatically change when I reload my next game? Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:01:46 pm by FFLaguna »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 06:11:10 pm »

So long as you save, close DF, make the changes and then reload, those changes will activate, yes.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 06:11:53 pm »

Thanks! So add [HEATDAM_POINT:13000][IGNITE_POINT:13500] and also have [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] instead of both [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER][FIREIMMUNE], is that correct?

Also, if I have a dragon on my map already (I don't, just hypothetical), can I restart the game and add these settings and affect that dragon who's already on my map?

And finally, do I have to delete the data\objects folder every time I change the raws, or can I just leave them and they'll automatically change when I reload my next game? Thanks!
Changes will affect creatures already on the map (this is how nuclear catsplosion traps usually work) and you do not have to delete the data/objects folder.  I never do.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 06:15:50 pm »

From the wiki:
FIREIMMUNE        The creature is immune to all forms of fire, except DRAGONFIREBREATH.
FIREIMMUNE_SUPER       The creature is immune to DRAGONFIREBREATH. AI acts as if FIREIMMUNE. Does NOT imply FIREIMMUNE.

So why can't I set both [FIREIMMUNE][FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] at the same time? Can I? Is it a good idea? The dragons in my game are greatly boosted (flier, damblock 30, etc.)

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 07:14:40 pm »

On eof the early problems that I had when modifying my dwarves to be able to fight in magma was that with either tag their skin and/or bones would still catch fire until they died but I found out that adding the bottom tags from a fire imp or similiar creature took care of the problem.
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 09:02:34 pm »

On eof the early problems that I had when modifying my dwarves to be able to fight in magma was that with either tag their skin and/or bones would still catch fire until they died but I found out that adding the bottom tags from a fire imp or similiar creature took care of the problem.
Considering that, and the fact that [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] implies [FIREIMMUNE], the latter of the two tags is useless when used with the prior tag.
Just so I remember

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 10:11:29 pm »

Changes will affect creatures already on the map (this is how nuclear catsplosion traps usually work) and you do not have to delete the data/objects folder.  I never do.

There is one exception to deleting the stuff in the data/objects folder that I have found. If you completely remove or rename a .txt file, you have to remove the stuff in the data/objects file before regen or the world will have the old stuff and the new, as there is no file to rewrite the old cache.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bobokapi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 10:20:21 pm »

[FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] makes them immune to dragonfire
[FIREIMMUNE] makes them immune to normal fireimp and demon firebreath
[HEATDAM_POINT:13000][IGNITE_POINT:13500] makes them immune to heat from contact (forest fire/magma)

to be immune to all fire a creature needs all of these tags and you don't need to regen if you add tags to a creature

the [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] tag seems to be useless for dragons because it only protects them from their own fireballs

Orange Drink

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 10:34:55 pm »

the [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] tag seems to be useless for dragons because it only protects them from their own fireballs

i find it quite useful because i made a dragonfire breathing race and didn't add [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER]. i found that when they shoot fire at a creature, the flames engulf the tile the creature is standing on, and my guys burnt to death :(.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 12:06:28 am »

[FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] makes them immune to dragonfire
[FIREIMMUNE] makes them immune to normal fireimp and demon firebreath
[HEATDAM_POINT:13000][IGNITE_POINT:13500] makes them immune to heat from contact (forest fire/magma)

to be immune to all fire a creature needs all of these tags and you don't need to regen if you add tags to a creature

[FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] has the effects of [FIREIMMUNE] as well.  You only need two of those three tags.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2