Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Different kind of a cat problem  (Read 1502 times)

accent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Different kind of a cat problem
« on: November 28, 2008, 02:24:21 pm »

Having many cats resulting in a catsplosion is a common problem. But what I have had to endure is caused by only one cat on her own. I can't get my stupid kitten to stop dropping dead vermin on my farm waiting to be built, causing the dwarves to suspend it over and over. The kitten adopted my only farmer and when he tries to go make the friggin farm plot, the whiskery meow-machine of evil drops some corpse on it every time. The farm plot gets suspended and the farmer goes back to his other tasks while some other guy with refuse hauling goes and takes the corpse away and I can activate the construction again. :/

Also, I'm new here, Hi everybody! :)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Different kind of a cat problem
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 02:30:23 pm »

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHHAHHAHH!!!!

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system.

Eh-HERHM...
As far as I know there is no solution to this except to solve it with FIRE!
Or a kitty deathtrap. Cant remember the thread(s)? but it involved pulling a lever to activate a spike trap to SMITE the kitty. Try two doors, one is pet forbidden.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 02:37:23 pm »

My advice (short of killing the cat) would be to just assign someone else to actually build the farm, and once its built, re-assign it to your original farmer.

Also, hello there!
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 02:52:07 pm »

It would be more dwarvenly to build some insanely complex machine (with magma) that would harmlessly keep the cat away from the dwarf while he builds the plot.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 02:57:26 pm »

It would be more dwarvenly to build some insanely AWSOME complex machine (with magma-BEES) that would harmlessly DWARVERNLY keep the cat away from the dwarf while he builds the plot.
fixd

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 03:40:25 pm »

Or just a door set not to let pets through...
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

accent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 04:25:48 pm »

Or just a door set not to let pets through...

the farm was in a large hall with no doors built. I tried to build above ground so I basically just stripmined a huge area for initial workshops, beds, farms & stockpiles. Abandoned that fort just a while ago having only a small apartment building for the initial seven dwarfes ready. Building every wall piece by piece outside was becoming more and more boring every minute.

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 05:42:50 pm »

Those crafty cats, always finding new ways to sabotage our fortresses!

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 11:35:44 pm »

Building every wall piece by piece outside was becoming more and more boring every minute.

You can designate walls, floors, etc. to be built in sections up to 10x10, using the umkh buttons.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 12:16:42 am »

If you don't want to kill the cat, try making your farmer military, assign him in a room with doors, when the cat is in, forbid animals from comming in and out of your room. The farmer will go about his buisness and the cat will be safe.

If you want to do it in the name of dwarven awesome, do the same, except fill it with water... (A good way would be digging out the whole ceiling area of the room exposing the ceiling, and channel water into it from a nearby brook