Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Idiot slothful archers  (Read 1366 times)

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Idiot slothful archers
« on: November 28, 2008, 12:22:19 pm »

So in my last fort i had a legendary hammerdwarf that I though should also become a legendary marksdwarf and be named megaman. I assigned him to crossbow and he pick up a bow and a quiver and never any arrows, he never trained while standing down. I thought, well maybe he just likes a-hammerin' too much and left him with a hammer alone.

Now i have a professional wrestler who has the same problem, even when on duty he refuses to pick up bolts. how do i fix this ? i have archery ranges, bone bolts and metal bolts, nothing's forbid and his crossbow weapon is selected and been picked up, they just don't treat them as anything more than glorified clubs.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
Re: Idiot slothful archers
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 12:43:04 pm »

Did you make the archery ranges rooms? <.<

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 12:55:57 pm »

5 archery ranges, 4 of them in all different directions so if he wants to stand on the otherside of a wall, he can shoot from there. he just doesn't want to.

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 01:15:37 pm »

he does have minimal neck and brain damage, i've never seen neck damage stop an archer, but i have brain damage so rarely i don't know.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 01:19:17 pm »

But have you made rooms? As in areas larger then a single tile?

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 02:38:16 pm »

he does have minimal neck and brain damage, i've never seen neck damage stop an archer, but i have brain damage so rarely i don't know.

I'm almost positive that if someone has ANY nerve or spinal damage (brain damage, etc), they will never spar. I guess this also applies to archery practice.

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 02:47:19 pm »

No, neck damage does not prevent sparring ,that was infact what determined how many archers i had, they'd get neck damage wrestling so i'd make them archers. but brains might be a different story. i don't know on that count. and there is plenty of space by the archery ranges. it's most irksome.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 03:46:27 pm »

check his off hand. If hes holding someone elses clothes, he cant grab bolts.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 04:27:23 pm »

But have you made rooms? As in areas larger then a single tile?
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 05:20:31 pm »

as in "make archery range" on a target? yes.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 05:21:25 pm »

I embarked on a similar project -- making soldiers who were legendary with every weapon.  Crossbows were last.  Well, they'd pick up the crossbow, and just spar with it, ignoring my archery targets.

Long story short, they were holding pieces of armor in their off hand.  I set their armor level from 'plate' and 'shield' to 'none', waited for them to dump their stuff in the stockpiles, and then set it back.  After reequipping themselves, they happily went on to shoot at the targets.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 07:07:20 pm »

But did you make them large enough that he would have room to practice?

That's the only thing I can think of.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 09:27:13 pm »

5 archery ranges, 4 of them in all different directions so if he wants to stand on the otherside of a wall, he can shoot from there. he just doesn't want to.
... and there is plenty of space by the archery ranges. it's most irksome.

asking the same question a half dozen times doesn't change my answer. But the off hand question i'll look into. and funnily when i tried getting all my other guys to work on archery some of them started getting skills in hammerdwarf, not archery. curious blighters.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 10:10:00 pm »

I embarked on a similar project -- making soldiers who were legendary with every weapon.  Crossbows were last.  Well, they'd pick up the crossbow, and just spar with it, ignoring my archery targets.

Long story short, they were holding pieces of armor in their off hand.  I set their armor level from 'plate' and 'shield' to 'none', waited for them to dump their stuff in the stockpiles, and then set it back.  After reequipping themselves, they happily went on to shoot at the targets.

This has happened to me as well.  I noticed marksdwarves beating on each other in the barracks, checked, and saw that one was wielding a shoe in his off-hand and the second one's off-hand held the first one's pants.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 11:06:36 pm »

This has happened to me as well.  I noticed marksdwarves beating on each other in the barracks, checked, and saw that one was wielding a shoe in his off-hand and the second one's off-hand held the first one's pants.

I think your alcohol rations are either too high or too low.
Pages: [1] 2