Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Red tiles.  (Read 871 times)

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
Red tiles.
« on: November 28, 2008, 07:02:16 am »

Hi.

I'm very new to the game, although in the past I did try to play this game several times but always ended up giving up 'cos I couldn't understand what tiles are what till someone pointed out to me the graphic sets available. Currently I'm playing using Mike Mayday's graphic set and I've finally been able to grasp the game mechanics but some things still elude me.

While mining I frequently stumble upon floor and wall tiles that are coloured red, using the look function doesn't tell me anything more about it. Is it miasma (the purple coloured tiles in the vanilla version)? If it is how do I get rid of it?

Thanks in advance.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Red tiles.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 07:07:50 am »

Press k and move the cursor over that tile.
It'll probably say something like "red sand wall" or "cinnabar floor", or maybe there's a pool of blood.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 07:17:11 am »

As mentioned before I already did use look, doesn't say anything except "Silt Loam Wall/Cavern Floor", which is the same type of tile that covers most of my mine. The normal tiles are brown coloured, these are red.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 08:28:19 am »

As mentioned before I already did use look, doesn't say anything except "Silt Loam Wall/Cavern Floor", which is the same type of tile that covers most of my mine. The normal tiles are brown coloured, these are red.

Can you upload some screenshoots please? (one while looking at the square would be neat)

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 09:18:51 am »

Normal silt:

Red silt:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 09:29:48 am »

I think silt loam is different from plain ol' silt.   Someone better check though.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 09:44:43 am »

I think silt loam is different from plain ol' silt.   Someone better check though.

Spot on. I remember that one of the soil layer is dark red. The screenshoot shows that the grey silt and the red silt loam are not on the same level, so it is probably a different kind of soil.
In this case, don't worry, the color is only for some flavoring and have no real side effect (excepting hurting your eyes...)

Worldwaker

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 10:54:08 am »

Still, a screenshot with you K'ing over the said tile would help diagnose this once and for all. Use photobucket or some other image hosting site.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 11:03:27 am »

Ah, my bad. I've only just noticed that they're indeed different types of silt. The brown is loam and the red is clay. Sorry for the noobish oversight :-P
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 02:10:23 pm »

yeah, i tend to avoid embarking places where there is "clay" or "loamy clay" or "silty clay", or "red sand" because i dont like the look of the red soil layers.

If i have a magma flow, i want it to stand out and be distinctive, and if i have a bloody battlefield i want it to likewise stand out.

but this page may be helpful to you:

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Soil

similarly, you should look into the page on "stone layers" and the various links from it to pages about "ores" and such, as well as the general page on "stone" which gives you an index of every type of stone and its associated icon.