Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Building a ship=possible  (Read 2085 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Building a ship=possible
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 04:57:47 pm »

Oh yes and sailing would be awesome. Just that dwarves don't sail. They dig a tunnel under the ocean.

Cool is better than theme.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 05:15:37 pm »

A current bug makes it so that any structure built on a lake that can freeze will be able to float unsupported after winter ends.
Does this work for rivers as well?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 05:22:11 pm »

Haven't tried that.  I suspect it would work, though variable depth water might mess it up.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 06:41:39 pm »

Oh yes and trading.
Caravans need a land route to your trade depot, I thought.

I wonder what would happen if you gave "amphibious" to other trading races and wagons, though... probably wouldn't work due to pathfinding issues.

dwarfs will still starve to death, but you migth survive (by purifyng water, fishing, and animal breading)
Actually, I think if you muddy the ground you can establish an aboveground farm on non-soil tiles. Or does that only work with underground crops?
Just make sure you buy or gather some edible and/or brewable ones and bring them on board before you wall up.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 07:05:17 pm »

Okay so ships can be made to not sink rather then float really. Whatever you do they couldn't become objects in their own right and be affected by fluids so it would be stationary. Sure its possible to idssable cave ins etc. but I consider the result more of a  platform then a ship.

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 08:08:52 pm »

Just a thought, you could search for a peninsula that fits into your embark square, and build a wreck on a reef, maybe with a kinda-pirate-like hide-out behind a waterfall in close proximity (a dwarven pirate hide-out, of course, so you don't need to miss anything, except magma or stuff). Arrrrgh!
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.
Pages: 1 [2]