Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: The Founders. [Succession & Community]  (Read 12695 times)

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders. [Succession & Community]
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 12:20:34 am »

I love it, Frelock! Wow, nobody's died yet, and we already have two couples? Who's going to get stuck marrying their best friend's daughter?

Dang, I wish there were some daytime soaps that had dwarves in fortresses...

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 01:40:12 am »

You know I was thinking it takes 13 years for a child to become an adult dwarf. I do realize the year's go pretty faast with just 7 dwarves and the high FPS that comes with it but this is gonna take a LOOOONG time before the pop even reaches 10. Love the story telling though and I hope even further character development is made throughout the existence of the fortress this ll be more of a "big brother" thing then a fortress eventually :P

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 03:34:46 pm »

The Journal of Talakin Farmer/Trader

Granite 1st: Today Deephearth sees it’s fourth year, and its now my turn to lead. Luckily for me, its not the most trying of times, all the basic necessities of live have already been provided. There is just one more thing needed. There have been sightings of goblin archers over the past three years, and they pose a danger a moat alone can not block. As such my first project as leader of Deephearth is to construct a wall around our fort.
   Wait make that my second project. My first project is to go through the records and correct the fact that my name is spelled wrong. It’s Talakin, not Telakin.

Granite 14th: The eleven caravan has arrived. I think by now everyone knows what’s goes on here. I grab a bunch of random junk that won’t offend elven sensibilities, and get a bunch of random food and drink back. The only item of note was a cougar, it could make for an interesting pet.

Slate 5th: The moment I’ve been dreading has arrived. Another band of migrants has come to their doom, and as leader its my job to get rid of them. Unfortunately it does not seem that the undead will be able to do the job, as the first two to arrive were able to take out four skeletal elks with only a single casualty. Given that 16 more dwarves showed up after them, I’ll have to use the drowning chamber. Time to go make preparations.

Slate 12th : In the middle of preparing the drowning chamber the elves told me they were ready to leave. This almost caused a casualty as unknown to me while I was pulling the levers to swaps the positions of the bridge Don was heading out to retrieve an item from the depot. I managed to shout to him to stop, mere seconds before he was about to step onto the suddenly catapulting bridge.

Slate 18th:: It is done. I gave the remaining 16 migrants the standard lie, to go wait for us in the chamber, and we’ll be there shortly. Wait 16, I thought there was 17 still living. Oh the 17th was crushed when I lowered the bridge to let them in.

Felsite 4th: The migrants are dead and the drowning chamber is emptying. It is also apparently filled with fish. I have no idea how so many got there.

Felsite 17th: The tombs that Don planned have finally been dug out. Magua is now smoothing the walls so they’ll be ready for his Art.

Malachite 6th: No humans, Started work on a room specifically for  Magua to show off his art

Malachite 19th: No one has come during the summer. That means no migrants to kill, but still no humans to trade with. It’s strange, humans are usually so eager to trade with every single fortress that every gets off the ground.
      In other news I have realized that this fort is lacking something. We are blessed to have a legendary engraver such as Magua. What we need is a room built solely to showcase his works. I’m drawing up plans right now.

Malachite 21st: Looking back at my journal I’ve realized that while I bought a cougar from the elves I haven’t let it out of it’s cage yet. I better go do that now. I hope its not to angry,

Malachite 21st: I DON’T BELIEVE IT. THOSE SO CALLED ANIMAL LOVING ELVES HAVE SOLD US A DEFECTIVE COUGAR. I wasn’t even aware that it was possible to have a defective cougar but here it is sitting in front of me. At the same time I can’t bear to lock the poor thing away again. I’m leaving it up for adoption, incase anyone wants a giant defective cat.

Galena 24th: The wall is now complete.  Now we can live knowing that there is nothing that can harm us. We’re planning on taking the last 4 days before autumn off to celebrate.

Limestone 11th: The dwarven caravan has arrived. It went just like every single other meeting with the dwarven caravan.

Limestone 5th: I’ve realized that with the new walls I no longer can get a good look at the surrounding area. I’ve drawn up plans for a modest lookout tower on top of the drowning chamber.

Sandstone 14th : We obviously didn’t learn our lesson from the spring. I had to stop no less then three of my fellow dwarves from rushing over a bridge that was about to rise. We really need to devise some sort of signal to stop this from happening in the future.

Timber 6th: Another group of seven migrants has arrived. Thankfully though I have no need to dirty me hand, as the seven dwarves got slaughtered by 7 skeleton muskox. I wish they’d stop coming.

Timber 13th: Love is in the air again. Gord has fallen in love with Apple. Still despite having three couples no one has bothered actually marrying. Do you hear that Keyan. I’m waiting.

Timber 24th: The watch tower is finished even if the final touches did not go completely to plan.

Its only a few stories high by given the flat terrain the view is magnificent.

Moonstone 1st: Magua has finished smoothing all 7 tombs. He’s now smoothing the art room to make it a proper canvas for his works.

Moonstone 15th: My year is almost at an end. I have decided that my last project will be to add a number of statues to various areas of the fort to spruce things up a bit.

Moonstone 18th : The goblins have sent a raiding party lead by an elf. Of course they neglected to give said raiding party a way of bypassing our moat and wall, so their sitting harmlessly outside.

Granite 1st: The year has come to an end. I spent some time alone on top of the watch tower with Keyan before we headed for the traditional party in the dining hall. Now someone else can lead.

OOC: This year wasn’t as productive as it could have been. I let the dwarves idle a lot to see if I could get a marriage or two to occur. That did not work out. I slightly violated the no Quantum Stockpiles rule because apparently even if you designate a huge area as a garbage dump the dwarves will pile everything in only a couple squares. I caught it before I got more then a couple of stacks of two to three stones though.
   I have one request and one piece of advice for the next ruler. The request is that since the art room was still being smoothed during my turn, I would like it by designated for engraving when its done. The advice it that the goblins are still waiting outside, so be very careful about lowering any bridges.

Map
Save

Oh yeah add me back to the end of the list.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:08:31 pm by Linthar »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 03:42:06 pm »

Awesome!  I have an Art room!  And properly capitalized even!

But, what's a defective cougar?  Is it missing limbs?
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 04:10:31 pm »

But, what's a defective cougar?  Is it missing limbs?
Oops, looks like I forget to upload the proper image to go along with the entry. Well it's up now.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

Right, nicely done.  I love the idea of an art room.

By the way, I forgot to request that you add my name to the end of the list too.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2008, 06:23:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frelock and Linthar re-added to the sign up sheet.

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2008, 10:27:47 pm »

(It's not that long, but here's Navi's Log. I'll need help to upload the pictures, I don't really know how or where to do that.)

Early Spring, 205

My turn. We're having some problems. Hmph. It's time to clean up and get some real work done. Perhaps we should go make a mess first, though. Those goblins came to us unarmed, they deserve to die.

Sixteen levers. In one room. I can't stand it. I'm having levers placed near what they actually control. The goblins won't come close enough to the moat, and I can't get out due to these misengineered bridges.

The elves were nice enough to bring us some trash. We were nice enough to kick them on their way. More goblins came, and were abruptly torn apart by skeletal muskoxen while the first wave fled.

Mid-Spring

Migrants arrived amidst a the skeletal ox herd. Only one survived. Might as well use that trap chamber for him. (Image3)

Apple has been wrestling a goat zombie for the past week or two. Fun's fun, but I've sent Gord out to go help him. (Image4)

The muskoxen are chasing everyone all over the place! Gord, Magua, Apple, and Don are all trapped outside. Gord and Apple finally got sick of running and smashed the ones chasing them, but Gord suffered an arm injury in the process. Good thing she's left-handed. I'm going out to shoot down the rest.

Success. The last one fled. Time to make some buckets for poor Gord.

Late Spring

Ah, wonderful peace. Time to relax and have fun. It's far easier to organize good parties when I have control over the venues.

Early Summer

Gord is healed, and a good thing too, since no one was bothering to bring food or water with the party going on. Hmm. Of course, there's nothing wrong with holding out for some good wine, instead!

We're under attack by a nasty collection of miscreants! One knocked me off the wall where I was standing guard. Gord shot them one after another, and Apple came to my rescue. My leg was broken, but that didn't stop me from turning the goblin that did it into a pincushion.

A new party of goblins showed up while we were preparing to eliminate the ones chasing someone's pet mule around, and we were forced to retreat under a hail of bolts. The goblins fled after their leader bled to death in a trap, however. Great news for me, as I was still laying on the ground by the gates.

Mid-Summer

Talakin brought me some water, finally, and some time after Don took me to bed. Phew. Don hates doing healthcare, why isn't anyone else doing it?

Early Autumn

My leg is better, but Keyan's arm hasn't healed yet. I'll take care of him. Next task is inventory consolidation. I'll put all that wood Don gathered to use in bins.

A kobold thief was torn apart by skeletal macaque theives, who then fled. Wonderful. A heroic goblin wrestler showed up to get killed by some more of them, and another squad ambushed the caravan. They killed our Liason. We're not involved in this hilarity, yet. I'll shoot any that come near, from safety.

(Image7) Nice try, gobbos.

Mid-Autumn

We traded with the merchants. A goblin ambush caused serious harm to them as they were leaving. (Image8)

It's time for another party!

Early Winter

Peace. No disturbances, and we are safe and secure.

Late Winter

No events, construction progresses beautifully, though it will not be completed in my term.

1st Granite, 206

And that's the end of it. Keyan's arm is healed, just in time to do Apple's bidding. What fun we had amidst this year of mine.

(Just a note. The reason why Linthar's meeting hall didn't work was because it was designated over such a large area that the dwarves in it didn't actually... meet. I used one of the statues for a smaller, less remote meeting area now, and it works--now people are developing social skills! It might be necessary to set up a refugee camp for migrants outside the walls in order to get anything done, though, since a lot of stuff refuses to happen with such a low population (sieges, strange moods, noble arrivals, and possibly marriages.) The sieges they trigger should give them a fun time, even without our drowning chamber.)

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=727
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:02:36 am by Navian »

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2008, 01:35:11 pm »

Very well done, Navian.  If you're having trouble with the levers, just press "N" and you can see the helpful note we placed. 

Now it's A Fey Dwarf's turn.  What shocking things will happen next at the fortress of Deepearth?  Tune in next week for another exciting episode of The Founders!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2008, 05:10:52 pm »

O.K. I nearly forgot about this, but I am here now...
Will get to work on it asap.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2008, 07:44:08 pm »

(It's not that long, but here's Navi's Log. I'll need help to upload the pictures, I don't really know how or where to do that.)

Creating an account at Photobucket.com and hyper-linking with image tags works best for me.

Sixteen levers. In one room. I can't stand it. I'm having levers placed near what they actually control. The goblins won't come close enough to the moat, and I can't get out due to these misengineered bridges.

D=

Success. The last one fled. Time to make some buckets for poor Gord.

D=
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:50:45 pm by Qloos »

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2008, 09:31:27 pm »

Blegh, I don't like way that site asks for so much information. Also, don't worry, the levers in the room are still there, and all but one or two of them still work. And hey, you got better, and so did the buckets...

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2008, 04:46:02 pm »

Apple's journal of the events from early spring 206 to late winter 206.

1st of Granite:
I have assumed leadership over Deephearth for some reason or other and am to rule over this dump for exactly one year. And as the first order of my rule I will get Keyan, Navi and I to expand both central stair cases so that we are not tripping over one another when trying to reach the bedrooms or workshops.

3rd of Granite:
Food is quite an issue at the moment. I have told Gord to stop brewing plants so that we can us the plants as a food source instead.

4th of Granite:
I had Magua run at me screaming and crying at the same time. I had no idea that I was doing it but apparently my designation for a larger staircase had resulted in precious works of art being destroyed. Ah well you can't please every soul when in charge and sacrifices must be made.

9th of Granite:
An elven caravan arrived today. I ordered Talakin to seize all their food and drink, we have no need of the flower growing scum. I hope they take it to their hearts to leave and never come back.

11th of Granite:
We stole loads of strawberries, sun berries, seeds, barrel of drink and even another cougar. This rare animal will be put in it's very own pen with the other cougar roaming around. Then hopefully they will breed and we will have a fortress full of cougars.

23rd of Granite:
I have ordered a strawberry farm be set up outdoors. The elven traders sent us a lot of strawberry seeds so it should work pretty well.

4th of Slate:
More dirty migrants have arrived. I told half of them to go spar in the 'barracks' and the other half to go fight of the Skelks. Hopefully they don't try wonder off else where for a drink or something. There were two children in the bunch so I designated a death bedroom to each.

19th of Slate:
The drowning chamber is full. However as it was a pain to get everyone in with out letting people out I have ordered an airlock like system to be built in front of the drowning chamber doors. That way you can let individual migrants in without letting the whole mass of migrants trapped in their out.
I am also having a bit of trouble with the wee ones. It is hard to tell which children are migrants or which are born from the seven founders. If by chance one of us gave birth at a similar time to when the migrants arrived then we might accidentally lock our own child up with the migrants child as we will have no way of knowing.

26th of Slate:
The Cougar doesn't seem to be doing very well. It has brown wounds to all internal organs due to the cold temperatures here that it is not used to.

3rd of Felsite:
It took a little longer than I expected but the central stairway is now large enough so that we don't trip over each other on our way down or up it.

13th of Felsite:
Both cougars of opposite sex are now in the pen. I hope their brain and spine injuries don't prevent them from have cubs.

15th of Felsite:
We now have nothing to do but socialize in the meeting hall to do so I have ordered everyone to build the outer perimeter wall to be extended upwards and to provide an area where we can shoot at any zombies, skeletons or goblins that try to pester us.

23rd of Felsite:
I have decided we need a secure wood chopping area outside. When the time is right I will go out there and dig a channel around a section of the forest in hope of creating a safe area for Magua to do his work.

11th of Hematite:
The children in their rooms are still alive. I don't know how they manage it seeing as they haven't had any food or drink for two months.

12th of Hematite:
Some human traders arrived today couldn't get to the depot as the bridge was up. I was informed that their wagons bypassed our site. I don't know why they coulnd't just have waited for me to open the drawbridge.

13th of Hematite:
The moment I opened the depot bridge, I heard the message that goblins were nearby. I quickly ordered the gate to be closed. Lets see who survives out of a human caravan, 5 skelks and a goblin ambush party when they all meet at the same time.

14th of Hematite:
Oh no the human liaison was caught between both skelks and goblins.  The crossbow goblins shot him and then the skelks stomped his unconscious body dead. I hope this doesn't mean war with the humans. Then the skelks meet and attacked the goblins. The goblins suffered no causalities and swiftly destroyed all skelks. As soon as the skelks were destroyed some skeletal horses came in and attacked a second group of goblin ambushers. The ambushers suffered one causality before kill all horses. Gee I sure am glad that I'm up here on this balcony watching these battles from afar.

15th of Hematite:
A third ambush party on the other side of the map was today attacked by skeletal horses. This time though the undead prevailed taking on each goblin as a mob one at a time. These undead must really hate goblins.

25th of Hematite:
The remaining goblins and the remaining undead attacked each other this morning. The goblins outnumbering the horses 2:1 lost the battle as when one goblin died the whole group of them fled for their lives. I don't know what they were afraid of, they could have quite easily killed all of the horses. However because of their cowardice, the horses killed a number of the fleeing goblins who were to scared to fight back. In the end the skeletal horses were reduced to 4 in number (from five) and killed seven of the goblins. What a great start to the day.

4th of Malachite:
A children died of thirst today. One down one to go.

5th of Malachite:
The second child died of thirst today. Finally we have rid this fortress of the impure.

7th of Malachite:
The marble was found today by me. To celebrate this I propose a giant marble spire built in my honor.

16th of Malachite:
The skeletal horses have left, they were however quickly replaced by zombie marmots. This means we can lower the bridge and let in the merchants how have been sitting on the far side of the map for the past month.

18th of Malachite:
The merchants left today. I can't say I don't blame them, I myself would have left the moment I set foot in the place being locked out with a group of skeletal elks, horses and goblins.

6th of Galena:
I think there may be something terribly wrong in Navi's head. For some reason she just dropped to sleep while we were mining. This would normally be alright, except for the fact that we were outside of the walls digging a channel. I really hope the zombie marmots don't notice her sleeping.

26th of Galena:
The secure wood chopping area outside is now finished.

11th of Limestone:
A dwarven caravan has arrived. I will let to the trade depot but no further. Unluckily I closed the gate a day before the caravan arrived so the caravan had to bypass our site. Why does this always happen?

16th of Limestone:
Work is progressing well on both the spire and the outer wall.

9th of Sandstone:
The female cougar have given birth to single cub. This calls for some celebration.

25th of Sandstone:
I have ordered Navi to shoot at the zombie mountain goats scaring off the masons trying to build the wall.

6th of Timber:
Navi just got to her point when the mountain goats left the area. I told her to go back to her previous duties as we wouldn't need her as a marksdwarf for the time being.

9th of Moonstone:
Time is just slipping away while the stone constructions are being built. I hope that I can get them done before my turn as leader is over.

29th of Obsidian:
Nothing much happened over the winter. The time just slipped away as we worked on building the outer wall. We managed to finish one layer of it but there is still the parapet on the next level up to go. The marble spire is also incomplete, although it is the tallest structure for miles round here, it is still only a tiny thing compared to the great constructions of the ancient mountain homes.
Anyway my time here is up and I now have to hand control over to the next in line.

Map: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-4155-founders-endoffeysturn
Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=737

(edit for spelling)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:48:25 pm by A_Fey_Dwarf »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2008, 05:10:15 pm »

4th of Granite:
I had Magua run at me screaming and crying at the same time. I had no idea that I was doing it but apparently my designation for a larger staircase had resulted in precious works of art being destroyed. Ah well you can't please every soul when in charge and sacrifices must be made.

Nooooooo!  My *Art*!

(Also, you can tell whose kid is whose because it'll be listed along with their thoughts.)
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2008, 05:28:51 pm »

Food's not an issue, I've seen this repeatedly in Succession games for some reason... We're got thousands of prepared meals, but people keep stressing out about a lack of raw stuff. It's okay, really, it's all just as good cooked!

On the subject of children, we're supposed to be naming any that are born, anyway, and that'll keep them visible on the unit screen. Plus, we'll have plenty of warning with the marriage message followed by the birth message.

Oh, right. And I'd like to sign up for another year!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:55:58 pm by Navian »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8