Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: The Founders. [Succession & Community]  (Read 12682 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Founders. [Succession & Community]
« on: November 27, 2008, 12:27:05 am »

Summary of Gametype
There are 7 starting dwarfs, these are the founders.  All other dwarfs in the fortress can only come from their gene pool.  All immigrants are to be killed off.  Immediately, (except for nobles - which are allowed in.)  All deaths, (including their cause.) and all births, (including their parents.)  will be recorded and I will update a large family tree on the first post.

This game will be heavily story driven - and while I ain't asking for Grade A English - I am asking for a bit of meat to chew on your stories, (atleast 3 paragraphs per year.)

Qloos 201.  Story on Page 1.
Magua 202.  Story on Page 2.
Frelock 203.  Story on Page 2.
Linthar 204.  Story on Page 3.
Navian 205.  Story on Page 3. 
A_Fey_Dwarf 206.  Story on Page 3.
boogerman 207.  Story on Page 4.
Qloos 208.  Story on Page 4.
Magua 209.  Story on Page 4.
Frelock 210.  Story on Page 5.
Linthar 211.  Story on Page 5.
Navian 212.  Story on Page 5.
Boogerman 213.  Story on Page 6.
Qloos
Magua 214.  Story on Page 6
Frelock
Linthar
Navian
boogerman

Rules & Game Settings
  • 4X4 starting location
  • 3 Paragraph per year story requirement
  • Nobles are to be kept happy to the best of our ability
  • No Quantum Stockpiles
  • 1 week limit per turn, turns will be 1 in game year.
  • Players that play the [succession] are required to have a dwarf named after them [community] If no free dwarfs are available, then you gotta wait until one is born.
  • First Person Narrative when writing.
  • When you die, you can request another dwarf.

Community Names List.
Blue is yet to be born, Green is alive and Red is dead, (or kidnapped).
Mashirafen aka Fred,  baby name: Udil. Born 210, Died 210 in a flood.
"Rovod" the baby, Born 212 and has been kidnapped by goblins.
Qloos aka Gord "Constructparched the Held Order"
Magua aka Magua
Frelock aka Don "Boltcraft the Mechanical Bowels of Worry"
Linthar aka Talakin
Navian aka Navi "Swampalace the Armored Weight of Seizing"
A_Fey_Dwarf aka Apple
boogerman aka Keyan
sonerohi aka Mcwiggles baby name:Cilob Born 209
Shoruke aka Shoruke, baby name: Deler Born 211 (wants to be marksdwarf)
vagel7 aka Orik, baby name: Zon (wants to be hammerdwarf) Born 212
Talvara aka Daniël, baby name: Iton Born 212
Madison, baby name: Tun Born 212
Shoruke Born 212

Barbarossa the Seal God aka Roland (Carver)

Family Tree
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:18:23 pm by Qloos »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders. [Succession & Community]
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 03:26:17 am »

I'll join!

Magua, the Engraver!  Male is preferred, but not necessary.  A few bars of a preferred metal or blocks of a preferred stone are all I ask...
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 02:00:35 pm »

I'll take a dwarf, Mcwiggles! Any profession you need him to be. And it has to be the first dwarf born, since I can't play.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 03:15:48 pm »

I'll sign up for a year, and a founder dwarf.

Name: Don
Profession: Architect, Bookkeeper, Mechanic (put points into Architect and Mechanic and make him your bookkeeper afterward, please)
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 05:12:51 pm »

Don't think I'll get a chance to play, but I'd like to adopt a dwarf when one's born. No real preference for gender or profession, although hammerdwarf would be nice. Also, call him/her Fred.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 05:27:52 pm »

I'll sign up for a year. Name my dwarf Talakin, and I'll take any profession that's needed.

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 05:34:15 pm »

Hi! I just registered, but I'd love to play. Leatherworker/ambusher/swimmer sound good? 'Navi' will do fine for a character nickname.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 05:38:02 pm »

Last spot goes to me...

I'll take a miner seeing as we don't have one yet. Call him/her Apple.

Boogerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 05:39:24 pm »

I wish to play!

Name: Keyan
Miner and mason, if possible.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 06:57:16 pm »

That makes 6 players, do I have a 7th?
*looks around earnestly*

Boogerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 06:59:13 pm »

I did say I would like to play...

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 07:03:03 pm »

Woups, brain fart.  Starting the succession.

Prelude
1st of Granite, Early Spring, 201.
   Our lord Ushat Mineink in the greathall has led our civilization of The Closed Oar successfully for 32 years.  But.  His fanatical worship of Anan and his 6 devil children have had their toll.  We've segregated, and will allow none of their ilk into our retreat that we'll construct.  They can trade all they want.  We may be settling in the The Teeth of Crucifying and The Unwelcome Prairie.  But! this will be our, and our families: home.  Deephearth, led by us: The Sunny Pillars

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Worship List
  Logem the Mine of Irons, deity: jewels, minerals, metals
  Keshan, deity: mountains, volcanos
  Legon Westmarket the Wealthy Merchant, deity: wealth, trade
  Kikrost Gloveguarded, deity: fortresses
  Reksas, deity: theft
  Anan Moistnesswashes the Wave of Oars, deity: caverns, lakes
  Ad the Coasts of Braving, deity: lightning, coasts
  Alil the Courteous Honesties, deity: consolation
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 02:29:29 am by Qloos »

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 04:56:34 am »

3th of Granite.
   Apple and Keyan have begun the entry hall into our new home.  The rest of us: Magua, Navi, Telakin, Don, and myself haul the supplies over to the location.  Not alot of items were specifically requested when I carried around a shipment request form to them.  So I've taken the liberty of bringing a couple of animals to settle with us.  3 Horses, a donkey, a dog and a cat.

5th of Granite.
   It worries be greatly that for extra privacy and recluse that we've chosen this area.  Skeletal beasts roam the wastes and need to be watched constantly.

7th of Granite.
   Navi may not be used to holding a pick and Telakin may have no experience making a crossbow.  But they've started in on these jobs anyway as channels need to be dug and bolts need to be kept ready for the ever present horrific monsters. 

10th of Granite.
   Even in death the skeletal muskox continues to exhibit herd like behavior. . . never straying far from the pack.  While this may be beneficial in the short term in could be a large problem later on.  The scarier creature is the undead mountain goat.  It- it's watching us from so close.  While I want to have the crossbows at hand I'll never shake the thought of its skeletal horned face. . . staring at me.

14th of Granite.
   Too many sleepless nights have passed for me.  I've declined my carpentry duties in favor of practicing my bowmanship.  Someone will have to take up the slack for me, but I won't have goats chomping on me in the middle of the night.

15th of Granite.
   Looking over my shoulder has become a habit in this terrifying waste.  But its even more horrific to find that such an action is to be warranted.  As I glance over to the North East, (the favored roost of the mountain goat.)  I was aghast to realize he was on - our - side of the brook.  I yelled a warning and called for the haltage of work and for the gathering of weapons.

*** Major event - First Battle of Deephearth***
Magua and Telakin, (Dabbling unarmored Axedwarfs) The Stray Dog and Gord, (Dabbling unarmored Marksdwarf) 
VS
the Skeletal Mountain Goat.

17th of Granite.
Magua, Telakin and myself gathered ready to do battle.  I adjusted my crossbow, still I'll at ease with it's use as we rallied in the camp center.  We turned to set out against our foe where we stumped upon a - a pile of goat bones - with the dog trotting away with one in its teeth.  Thanks dog.

18th of Granite.
Spent the day celebrating my victory with a barrel of Dwarven Wine.

1st of Slate.
Navi has outfitted me with some leather armor and a quiver!  Althought I was brought along as a cook and brewer I seem to enjoy practicing my bowmanship alot more!

3rd of Slate.
Apple and Keyan continue their work on the moat.  Our entire North side is impassable and they continue down stream deepening the far bank.

17th of Slate.
A herd of Skeletal horses slowly approaches from the south.  Such a sight gives me visions of skeletal hooves embedding themselves into my belly.  They wont get me while I got my crossbow though.  Furthermore a new zombie mountain goat has arrived on the north shore.  Impeded by our moat: it simply watches and spooks us as we work.

22nd of Slate.
The goat and the horses have wandered away, their desire to kill is foiled by their inability to sense where we are.

24th of Slate.
Except for Apple and Keyan who's work is tireless and relentless, the rest of us rotate off the moat making shift with other duties.  Such as making me bone bolts to practice with.

27th of Slate.
The skeletal horse herd has fled to the south, probably to seek a more juicy prey.  The mountain goat remains.

7th of Felsite.
The building designer Don finally got to design something: a bridge over the moat to the south.  And speaking of the moat: It nearly encompasses the entire camp now.  Sheltering us in its pristine watery glow.  But this water will be used for more than just security.  I've designed something of my own:  A drowning chamber for all immigrants.  I won't tolerate loafers coming in and reaping the rewards of OUR hard work!

15th of Felsite.
Apple has struck Microcline.  While it's useless in the practical sense it is a lovely shade of blue, which is just the color I want for the drowning chamber.

28th of Felsite.
It's been 3 months, but I'm finally satisfied with our defenses.  Satisfied enough to start carving out actual bedrooms.

1st of Hematite, Early Summer 201.
Despite having ample cots to sleep in Navi has again decided to sleep on the rock floor.

14th of Hematite.
Some simple tables and chairs have been thrown into a hall for people to eat off of.  Keyan continues to mason work my drowning chamber.

4th of Malachite.
I've gotten don into making some sharp stakes for some weapon traps.  Not to do any real damage of course, but simply to cause an enemy to scream and reveal themselves when they strike at them.

9th of Malachite.
The drowning chamber plans are becoming more elaborate by the minute.  To date we plan to have it comprise of an intake water channel and an overland water out-take.  Furthermore the floors have been channeled and covered with floor hatches.  These hatches lead to the entry point of our fortress and thus creates a last ditch self defense mechanism.  Although it's summer now I have my doubts about whether we'll have it complete by the end of the year.

*** Major event - Second Battle of Deephearth***
Magua and Gord, (Skilled leather armored Marksdwarf + Untrained Unarmored AxeDwarf) 
VS
7 Skeletal Rhesus Macaque

12th of Malachite.
Skeletal Rhesus Macaque Attack!  7 of them rushed straight towards the southern bridge where I was standing watch.  I shot and killed one, but the other 6 were already upon me.  I screamed and ran for my life, calling for help the whole way back.  But they over-ran me, forcing me to fight or die.  I slammed my crossbow into their skeletal bodies again and again while my friends rushed to my aid.  I think I managed to kill 4 of them before they knocked me unconceous and gouged out my eye.  Thankfully Magua showed up in time to finish off the remaining two with his steel battle axe.  I hope that spine wound of mine isn't too serious.

1st of Galena.
Progress continues without note.  With the entire moat finally finished and the bridge connected to a lever, I can finally breath easy enough to drop the bolts and pick up some stone to help with the mason work.  Everyone came here expecting to do a specific task, but it hasn't turned out that way for alot of us.  Still upset I lost my eye, but atleast I didn't lose my mind.

11th of Galena.
Food stocks are finally running low.  However the farms are already ready for telakin's plow and seeds and I'm ready at the brewery once the booze gets scarce.

26th of Galena.
The water intake system to the drowning chamber is complete bar a power source however our mechanic, Don, is busy dismantling the south bridge so that we can channel out the moat underneath it.

27th of Galena.
Two horse foals have been born, a fantastic start to Navi's future leather working industry.

4th of Limestone, Early Autumn 201.
Despite the lack of trees, Magua has found ample wood for a long while and I've no further need of deforestation and alot more need for moved earth.

6th of Limestone.
More horse foal births, totaling the horse population at 8.

13th of Limestone.
We have nothing to trade, not food, not booze.  Only rock and building supplies.  I know soon the immigrants will show up in droves. . . and I'll be ready for them.

23rd of Limestone.
The final piece needed for the drowning chamber is some simple mechanisms.  We'll have this chamber ready for this first immigrants - no problems.  And speaking of the foreigners, Telakin is trading with them right now and to my amusement only succeeding in angering the merchants.  Trading extremely heavy and simplistic pieces of rock furniture to a bunch of guys with trade mules is a hard sell.

25th of Limestone.
Can't have enough floodgates.

2nd of Sandstone.
Magua struck Yellow Zircon down in the water cistern for the drowning chamber.  I'll have the precious gems carted up somewhere safe before we have it filled.

16th of Sandstone.
Apple had a nearly fatal mining accident today.  A cavein was caused as he was widening the moat at the brook to the north.  Thankfully he walked away unharmed.  We'll need to be more careful in the future lest one of us kick the bucket. . . I want to see us all live to a ripe age of 200.

17th of Sandstone.
The skeletal creatures have returned, I fear not.  As our moat is impassable.

20th of Sandstone.
Late today Don was working hard on our new southern bridge, grinning: his task nearly finished.  However the cat walks up to Don and drops a dead firefly corpse right next to him at his job site.  Don screams in rage:

22nd of Sandstone.
Telakin has generously carted the firefly remains away for Don so he can continue his work.  I was hoping that cat would bring a bit of homely comfort to this bare retreat while we construct it, but it seems nothing but trouble so far.

27th of Sandstone.
Some migrants have arrived, oh dear!  It appears the zombie mountain goats have spotted them.

28th of Sandstone.
After the 8 migrant recruits wrestled to death a group skeletal mountain goats I politely led them into the drowning chamber.  I gestured around the room, "This is our meeting hall, we'll be with you shortly to get you settled." I said and quickly left and locked the doors.  I asked Keyan to pull the lever if you please.

9th of Timber.
The migrants still aren't dead.  We can hear them yelling for a change of socks but apparently their pants are still dry.

13th of Timber.
Their pants are starting to get wet.  I heard one grumbling about taking a bath.

15th of Timber.
Don replaced the waterwheel with a windmill, hopefully that'll speed things up.

16th of Timber.
Another mining accident has occurred.  Thank Amok the brook isn't very deep this time of year.  Magua bruise his limbs pretty badly when he fell as well.  With some simple ramping work by apple they were all able to scramble to safety.  My bad.

19th of Timber.
The Immigrants are furious about their beards being soaked.  Shouldn't be long now.

20th of Timber.
I've decided a roof for the drowning chamber is in order.  In case an immigrant manages to learn how to swim before he drowns.

21st of Timber.
One of the immigrants just complained that she's thirsty.  Geez. . .

1st of Moonstone, Early Winter 201.
I've failed, the immigrants have figured out how to swim before they were forced to tread water.  I've halted the waterpump before the levels get high enough for them to climb out.  I'll need to finish the roof before I continue to pump in water.  Maybe they'll die of hunger before I finish.

4th of Moonstone.
The waterlevel was high enough for them to climb out.  One managed it before I activated the water drainage system the rest of them were sucked into the water outflow and are now trapped inside of it.  The other immigrant is having a drink of booze and laughing as if it was some big prank.  I'll send him outside the fortress on some errant and simply lock him out.

5th of Moonstone.
Erush Ikudedem, Stray Cat (Tame) has adopted Zaneg Unibliruk, Recruit.
The cat loves the guy who climbed out of the drowning tank.  Well. . . Atleast he wont starve lonely out in the wastes.

12th of Moonstone.
Just finished banning the clueless escapees.

19th of Moonstone.
I herd of skeletal horses just ran down the banished immigrant - trampling him into an unrecognizable mass of meat.  The cat was spared as it was smart enough to run away.

26th of Moonstone.
With the majority of the essentials constructed for the fortress complete.  I've put time aside for Magua to smooth the entryway into the fortress.

7th of Opal.
The skeletal horses who do not tire and never give up have finally run down and killed the cat that I had forgotten outside.

20th of Opal.
The roof of the drowning chamber is 40% done.  And all but one recruit has starved to death in the out-flow chamber.  Last night I heard something that prevented me from sleeping peacefully.

21st of Opal.
Except for Telakin and Myself, everyone is working hard on finishing the drowning chamber ceiling to prevent any more escape attempts in the future.  Don continues working on the mechanical aspects of the fortress.  Due to the channeling of our moat, the entire brook down stream of the fortress is dry.  I'm sure the elfs will give us a stern talking to about the dangers of destroying of the ecosystem down river.

6th of Obsidian. 
Water is being diverted to the underground cistern Interior well use.

20th of Obsidian.
Telakin finally gave the liaison enough time to blurt out that they'd pay almost double for toys and seeds before shoving him out of the fortress.

26th of Obsidian.
Another horse has been born.  I've turned my leadership over to Magua and I think I'll relax and take it easy for the next couple of years until it's my turn again.  But then again - with how hard I've worked the rest of them - they may decide it's only fair that my fingers be worked a little raw as well.  At any rate, I've channeled out a barrier around ourselves.  Given us the basics of food water booze and shelter and a device to drown the immigrants.  However the luxuries of our dwarfs are lacking and we have little time off to get to know each other better.  Eventually we'll need time to mingle and slip the loop to increase the population.  But theres plenty of time for that. . .  plenty of time.

save:http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=691

Oh! I forgot to add notes to the levers.
From right to left:
Water Inflow, (safe to toy with - except for those in the drowning chamber)
Water Outflow, (safe to toy with - except for those in the basement water cistern)
Floor Hatch Fortress Flooder, (Not safe for anyone in the fortress lobby, but otherwise safe)
Interior Fortress Floodgates. (100% safe - but makes Floor Hatch Fortress Flooder more deadly)
South Bridge Control (Safe - unless you're standing under the bridge of course)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:00:36 am by Qloos »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 09:15:20 pm »

I have downloaded the save, but when opening the game, I get an error "Missing Creature Body Defintion: CAT_MOUTH"

I assume this was done to stop the cat spam, so I followed the directions in the wiki.  That took care of that message, but now I get "Missing reaction definition."

Did you change reaction_standard.txt?  I may need that file.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 10:00:41 pm »

Vanilla Mike Mayday download has messed with my game again!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8