Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nekolkeskal, Skullshot (Community Fortress)  (Read 2601 times)

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nekolkeskal, Skullshot (Community Fortress)
« on: November 26, 2008, 07:33:43 pm »

List of players (since I accidentally quoted, not edited, my first post... heh):

Myself
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:37:37 pm by Milskidasith »

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nekolkeskal, Skullshot (Community Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 07:35:08 pm »

Milski's Journal, Spring 188: Gah. After most all the other officers got assigned to go to various ill fated outposts, I figured they'd at least keep the few of us left to advise the current fortresses defense. But no, they've decided to send me out to a fortress they call skullshot. The king has a sick sense of humor, and since this is another one of the so called "war outposts," IE sites built to intentionally attract the giagantic* goblin menace in an attempt to keep the capital safe, he thought it would be neat to name it after what he assumes our crossbowdwarves will be doing to goblins. I have a feeling the recruits won't see it that way.

Anyway, luckily enough I've been given free reign to pick six dwarves to settle the outpost. Unluckily, most of the dwarves left are either unable to handle the rigors of settling a new fortress, legends, or unwilling to go, and I don't feel like trying to convince an elite axedwarf that I really do have the power to tell him to go to his death. Nope, instead, I'll be picking six volunteers** to work under me, and I doubt many of them will be very experienced. I hope to Armok this fortress works out.

*Goblins in this world are size 10, IIRC. They also have nofear and noexert along with multiple litter: rare taken off. A true threat to the dwarves, for once. Probably.

**: If I get a high amount of people wanting to play, I may embark with more dwarves using a certain cheat program. (and using another one, add a few points for supplies).

Strike the earth, comrades!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:22:53 pm by Milskidasith »

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:23:08 pm »

C'mon, nobody wants to play? :(

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:32:57 pm »

I wish, but I have another fortress to attend too.

Don't feel lonely, I have only 2 people in my story that joined.  ;)

Alright fine, you got me I'll join, give me a Miner/Stone Worker or something.

Edit: name him ToonyMan if you can. (male)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 10:36:03 pm »

(Urist McName)

I'll take a hunter, if possible.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 10:38:34 pm »

One hunter/farmer and one miner/mason, coming up!

I suppose other people can join later. It's always open, after all!

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 11:03:50 pm »

Milski's journal, sometime in spring.

At last, I was prepared for my journey. One of the dwarves taught me a trick to acquiring barrels that he found out: thanks to the laziness of the dwarves working at the outpost management center and a forged document, I proved that it was legally required that they give me a seperate, highly valuable barrel for each different type of meat I asked for. Thusly, I had barrels only one fifth of the way filled with meat for cheap. I also brought along an axe and a couple picks (thank heavens the picks come in copper. That axe cost a good fifth of my budget!) and selected some dwarves.

The dwarves weren't anything to write home about, but as far as I can tell they were a competent bunch. First off there was me. I picked up a thing or two since my promotion to a stuffy job as an officer of the king's lower court (IE an old washed up military dwarf). I've got some decent bartering skills and know a thing or two about setting gems, and I'm probably one of the best miners we'll have for a while. Some of the dwarves were asking if I was going to help out with the military effort but... it's just too soon. I don't think I'll ever pick up a crossbow again after what happened to my squad in my last battle.

Next is my buddy "Toonyman." He's a great miner and the best damn mason I saw in the few adventure seeking dwarves I could round up. Honestly, I'm suprised the other dwarves glossed over him on their recruitment drives. He's level headed, and so far his judgement hasn't been wrong, but I don't know if he's really built to handle starting an entirely new outpost in hostile territory. I don't even know if I'm up for the job...

The only other dwarf of note is this one guy who just went by "Urist McDwarf." I thought he was gonna be one of those wise cracking types, but his eyes told me he was a soldier. As far as I can tell he's got a little cooking and a little brewing skill, but he knows his way around a crossbow and from what I've heard, he's quieter than the elves when he tries to be. I hope he can bring us back some good food.

Otherwise, not to much of note. A farmer, a mechanic, a highly recommended and slightly crazy looking blacksmith, and a carpenter complete my crew. We brought a lot of dogs, since the things are always useful for hunting and war, and tonnes of seeds. Now it's time to strike the earth!

*Note, the items page isn't complete. On the second page is some more meat (including lotsa' turtles) and some dimple cup spawn and wood (I always bring wood: Sometimes heavily forested just isn't enough).

EDIT: Sorry about the screenshots, I forgot to take out the white on paint. Can anybody tell me how they get theirs to be constantly the same size? (Is there some function on DF?)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:07:05 pm by Milskidasith »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 11:08:00 pm »

We arn't bringing cats?

Also, can I see a picture of my profile?

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 11:09:41 pm »

Whoo, sign me up!

Name: Kornash
Profession: I'll take the carpenter please, although if you find he is idling about set him to crafting as well.

Thanks!

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 11:20:13 pm »

Kornash is in. I'll make sure all named dwarves have their profiles put in with the next update (which will *probably* occur whenever I get done with the initial workshops and finally have everybody doing things).

Teaser:

Stuff has already died!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 11:21:34 pm »

Stuff as in dwarves!?

Or stuff as in dogs!?

Or stuff as in stuff!!!?/?

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 11:23:08 pm »

Well, there were quite a few things from the dog *family.*

And a couple of horses who were there when we showed up. :(

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 11:25:39 pm »

Damn chasm creatures.  >:(

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 11:31:29 pm »

The suspense must be killing you! I'm about to update. Hopefully.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 11:58:22 pm »

Milski's journal, day of arrival (real dwarves don't keep track of the exact date, only seasons):

Dwarves all got here all right. Things are looking pretty decent for the fortress: Lots of trees, some sand, some lakes just perfect for irrigation, and all the rock we'll ever need. Got to know the dwarves a lot better on the journey.

One of the guys, Kornash the woodworker, is a real dwarfly dwarf. He likes steel and ballistae arrows. Gonna need people like that for the war.

Urist McName is... well, she'd have made a fine soldier. It's a bit weird how she likes mules, though.

Toonyman's doing pretty well so far. He isn't handling the stress of getting the fort started very well, but he'll ease into it. Never thought he liked the color pumpkin. I always thought he liked sulfur. Shows what I know about my friends.

And now me. Well, I'd like to think my profile speaks for itself.

Still early spring:

Woohoo! The first workshops are springing up pretty quickly and we already struck platinum and bauxite! It's a shame bauxite isn't worth much. Most dwarves don't ever like to experiment with lava, but I think lava could easily save any fortress if done well. If not done well... you get the idea.

Mid spring:

Wow, Urist McName is a real killing machine. So far she's killed what seems like an entire herd of animals. Unfortunatly, they are probably going to rot while we set up the farms and butchery, but there are plenty more out in the forests.

Late spring:

Nothing much has happened of any real importance. A few more kills, underground stockpiles set up, and bedrooms are just beginning to be dug out. We need to get a farm set up, but our preserved food should last for a while, and I don't want to start an irrigation project before I'm sure there isn't any nearby soil.
Pages: [1] 2