Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why metalsmith?  (Read 4121 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Why metalsmith?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 06:18:09 pm »

i think no one mentioned that for studding with metal you need metalsmith too...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 06:48:38 pm »

Doesn't matter.  If you're able to sell ten times as many anvils, then you're able to sell ten times as many goblets as well.

Edit: And besides, the more rocks you request, the less other stuff you can get.  This may or may not matter, but it's worth mentioning.
I think it basically boils down to the value/weight ratio, to increase the total amount of dorfbucks you can stuff in the caravan to get what they bring - and/or that you actually want. In short, it's a matter of efficiency. (On a different note, cloth/silk crafts weigh virtually nothing, making them crazy-efficient trade goods.)

Another problem is if the caravan can't CARRY enough anvils, or if you have to buy extra crap you don't care about in order to get it on there - not a huge problem, but it encourages them to bring more crap and less useful stuff next year. This is especially troublesome if they don't bring any wagons (i.e. elves). I don't think humans typically bring rocks, either, but wood works as a substitute for weight pushing. If you need it.

And again, without mood Legendary-ing, training up metalsmiths leaves a lot more near-useless junk than going for platemail. I don't know if they weigh the same (I would expect platemail to weigh less), but even mediocre armor has some use in keeping your military dying or injuring each other, if only until you have better-quality ones.

Iron isn't always really easy to get... fool that I am, I've mostly embarked in grasslands and forests so far, and the only reliable source of iron has been melting down Goblin junk. Without magma this also uses up a ton of wood/charcoal, and I've never really been able to outfit my military with full sets of iron armor, let alone steel.

On the other hand, a single anvil is a LOT less to carry to the trade depot than 100 craft items. If you keep your haulers busy and you consider their usual work a high priority, it can save a lot of time if a handful of anvils can pay for everything you're planning to buy.
But platemail can be binned. A heavy bin may take forever for a dwarf to carry to the depot, though.

But yeah, using a legendary one if you get it first can work pretty well.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 07:22:40 pm »

My mason can make furniture out of the ore, and it's just as valuable as furniture made from metal bars (and requires only 1 ore vs. 3 bars). Same goes for metalcrafting vs. stonecrafting.

This is wrong in the sense that it only applies to SOME ores, not to mention that it doesn't even make sense for it to be true in the first place... even when it is.

In addition to it being untrue for certain ores, some metals don't even HAVE ores, like say, any alloy at all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 08:47:25 pm »

BINS

bins cannot be made from stone, you often dont have enough wood. You need lots of bins There is no use for the lead and aluminium. There is also no use for copper if you have iron.

BINS

oh and building metal constrction, like giant platinum tower of doom
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 08:52:47 pm »

BINS

bins cannot be made from stone, you often dont have enough wood. You need lots of bins There is no use for the lead and aluminium. There is also no use for copper if you have iron.

Slight nitpick: Aluminum is worth the exact same as Platinum.  So...

BINS

...is a place where Aluminum would be useful ;D

Also, no matter what somebody's stance on anvils vs. goblets and this other stuff is, ya gotta admit, seeing some poor schmuck trying to carry a lead bin full of lead bars up to the trade depot is absolute hilarity.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Boogerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 09:33:34 pm »

BINS

BINS

I've never had problems with bins, and my current fort is on a treeless badland. I just import metric fucktons of wood from caravans each year.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 04:15:09 pm »

barrels/bins on maps with a lack of trees

or if you're trying not to piss off the elves...

... *Snort*

HAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAAA!!! I know... I couldn't keep a straight face either. ><

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 12:17:13 am »

You know I've always thought that if a dwarf can make a bin out of lead and a cabinet out of stone, it makes no sense to not be able to make a bin out of stone.

I usually add that in to the smelter raws, so metalsmithing isn't good for bins for me at least. I think it's pretty good for studding all the nearby trade goods with copper or billion or some useless plentiful metal (You can make 2 bars of billion with 1 tetrahedrite ore)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 08:40:52 am »

Since nobody's corrected it, I'm going to say that anvils are made by the BLACKSMITH skill, not the metalcrafter skill.

Although since the thread title is "metalsmith", a title that anyone with a variety of metalworking skills get, maybe I should shut my mouth or presume the whole thread is totally CFed from the start.

Armourers make armour, very handy.

Weaponsmiths make weapons, handy and easier to train.

Blacksmiths make anvils and cages, probably metal furniture as well. Pretty useless, since the things you'll be making with blacksmith will not require quality levels. Who cares if it's a *iron anvil* instead of a -iron anvil-. I admit that higher quality metal furniture means something, just not enough to care about.

Metalcrafters make crafts and goblets, and stud things. Good for trade, otherwise even more useless than blacksmith.

A metalsmith is somebody with a mix of these skills. Useful? It depends on which ones.

EDIT: No use for copper if you have iron????

copper is the base metal for a LOT of funky alloys, besides being the main source of sparring weapons. It's useful.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:42:44 am by Marlowe »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 11:28:19 am »

Alright, I just need to interject har fur just a minute!
*Bitchfest, ON!*

Based on some of the most intelligent people on the planet, a platinum/gold tower would be impossible (Well not impossible, just real small.)
Why?

There is only 3 olympic swimming pools full of gold on this earth at any given time.

If you tried filling up a olympic swimming pool with platinum, it would only go up to your ankles.
This may be implemented in later versions, but for now lets just believe that its the magical world of DWARVEN! were evil cyclops and hippies are commonplace.

Bobokapi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 11:32:55 am »

copper is the base metal for a LOT of funky alloys, besides being the main source of sparring weapons. It's useful.
For sparring weapons I think silver or trade with the elves for wooden ones is better.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 11:43:06 am »

For sparring weapons I think silver or trade with the elves for wooden ones is better.
"Ow... I got a splinter....... YOU BASTARD!!!"

With dwarf tempers as-is I vote against that action.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 02:15:38 pm »

Alright, I just need to interject har fur just a minute!
*Bitchfest, ON!*

Based on some of the most intelligent people on the planet, a platinum/gold tower would be impossible (Well not impossible, just real small.)
Why?

There is only 3 olympic swimming pools full of gold on this earth at any given time.

If you tried filling up a olympic swimming pool with platinum, it would only go up to your ankles.
This may be implemented in later versions, but for now lets just believe that its the magical world of DWARVEN! were evil cyclops and hippies are commonplace.
There's a lot of things that are a lot less realistic in this game.

...or is that the point you're trying to make ???
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2008, 02:27:40 pm »

Er, ya... I have always thought of Dwarf Fortress as a mining simulator, until one day Toady got drunk and added killer elephants.

Is it just me or does it seem like he's laughing at us?  ???
Pages: 1 [2]