Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why metalsmith?  (Read 4128 times)

OneTrue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Why metalsmith?
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:07:13 pm »

Aside from making more anvils, is there any point to metalsmithing? My mason can make furniture out of the ore, and it's just as valuable as furniture made from metal bars (and requires only 1 ore vs. 3 bars). Same goes for metalcrafting vs. stonecrafting.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why metalsmith?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 01:08:31 pm »

can your mason make platinum goblets? i think not!
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 01:10:32 pm »

Metalsmithing and crafting allows you to use alloys to make furniture or crafts, which could potentially be more valuable?

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 01:21:31 pm »

buckets and maybe blocks for building? I know buckets come in handy on no wood maps, when you chuck a bunch of useless copper into them, since it only takes 1 bar per bucket

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 01:47:45 pm »

Aside from making more anvils, is there any point to metalsmithing? My mason can make furniture out of the ore, and it's just as valuable as furniture made from metal bars (and requires only 1 ore vs. 3 bars). Same goes for metalcrafting vs. stonecrafting.

Weapons.

Armor.

Magma safe bridges, floodgates, etc.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

OneTrue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:53:55 pm »

Weapons.

Armor.

Magma safe bridges, floodgates, etc.

Weapons and armor are made by weaponsmiths and armorers, not metalsmiths. Good point about magma-safe stuff though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 02:26:19 pm »

My answer: Mandates.

Besides, metal furniture and stuff has a coolness factor to it that you just don't get with the raw ores.

Other useful things: Metal chains & Cages for woodless maps. Animal traps too, for chasm vermin.

That and not all ores are worth as much as the base metal, just some of them. Granted, most of the really expensive ones are.

It is true, though, that my Blacksmiths get a lot less work then my WeaponSmiths, Armorers, and Metalcrafters.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 04:10:42 pm »

why is it that anvils aren't considered wicked awesome trade goods? an item value of 100 makes these better than goblets considering the invested materials.

goblets = item value of 10 and three can be made with one bar. three bars make nine goblets with a total item value of 90.

anvils = item value of 100 and takes 3 bars to make

a standard quality iron anvil is worth 1,000 dwarfins, an exceptional one is worth 5,000 dwarfins, and a masterful one is worth 12,000 dwarfins, not bad considering its made out of the most easily acquired metal.

steel anvils are more awesome, 3,000 dwarfins for a standard quality one, 15,000 dwarfins for an exceptions one, and 36,000 dwarfins for a masterful one.

If you want to go out of your way to make an anvil out of adamantine, the last metal you can make anvils out of, with a material value of 300, are worth 30,000 dwarfins for a standard quality one 150,000 dwarfins for an exceptional one, and 360,000 dwarfins for a masterful one.

One should take note that Platemail has the same item value as anvils, as well as using the same amount of material, so a legendary armorer or blacksmith can be used interchangeably to make high value trade goods.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 04:16:26 pm »

To the above: Metalsmithing is far less useful than armorsmithing, so as far as "high value" trade goods go, platemail is your best bet. And since the weight problem can be easily negated by buying cheap rocks from caravans, it's better to train armorsmithing, n'est pas?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 04:21:05 pm »

armorers are definitely better than blacksmiths. however, if a mood happens to land you with a free legendary blacksmith, don't shrug him off! he can make anvils out of your iron, and high value buckets out of your other valuable metals.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 04:24:56 pm »

I admit, that is useful. Of course that should only happen if you have your blacksmiths do hauling jobs rather than risk low grade armor (I know I do. ;))

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 05:03:07 pm »

why is it that anvils aren't considered wicked awesome trade goods? an item value of 100 makes these better than goblets considering the invested materials.
Anvils are seriously frickin' heavy, so you can't trade nearly as many to the caravan.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 05:05:32 pm »

Err... not really.

All you have to do is request some stone and you can get massive weight for 3~10 dwarfbucks each.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 05:07:34 pm »

Doesn't matter.  If you're able to sell ten times as many anvils, then you're able to sell ten times as many goblets as well.

Edit: And besides, the more rocks you request, the less other stuff you can get.  This may or may not matter, but it's worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:09:40 pm by LegacyCWAL »
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Boogerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 05:48:38 pm »

Metal chains & Cages for woodless maps.

The metalcrafting skill is used to make chains.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:51:26 pm by Boogerman »
Pages: [1] 2