Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: WWI MEDIC  (Read 21334 times)

PsychoX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WWI MEDIC
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2004, 12:10:00 pm »

Nah, it's just a game not an actual recreatiion of WWI, who really cares whether it's mustard or some other gas or how deep the trenches are?

Of course, troops ordering airstrikes is ridiculous and shouldn't be implented.

Kal YoshiKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2004, 08:04:00 pm »

Radoslav I'm going to disagree with you because while it does take awhile to come into effect, once you are affected you would have to be taken from the battle field and as such as far as this game is concerned, dead.

I've gotta agree with the airstrikes being a bad idea, someones being playing to much RTCW and ET.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2004, 08:11:00 pm »

I don't have any planned release dates.  I'm working on my dwarf game now, and I'll decide which of the many projects to devote time to after that one gets where it's going.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Radoslav

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2004, 07:24:00 am »

Koshika, you ever played it 2 hours straight? The only way you can survive that long in this game is lie in the trench and even then you still need some luck. Besides, eyes watering won't be treated by anyone seriously cause it may equally well be something in your eye (besides mustard gas) so a soldier in that condition would just be slowed down at times and couldn't aim right. The lung/throat narrowing just makes you loose your breath faster and won't be nececarily noticed by anyone. You'd probably just take it as part of fear and shock. Soldiers went to the medical dug-outs/tents only after they were blind, had blisters the size of fists or they were bleeding from their mouths and suffocated.

Kal YoshiKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2004, 07:40:00 am »

I've played about 1 hour straight but the main reason I disagree with you isn't so much reality its just that the game is fun and a small part is the way the gas works, if it wasn't dangerous as such then it would feel less important and in theory it wouldn't affect the medic for atleast a few hours.

Though in future versions is it possible to maybe have the troops avoid Mustard gas during a charge, it just feels so stupid seeing these soliders charge right into the gas (after its being sitting) and then just die.

Radoslav

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2004, 09:07:00 am »

Well, true, but why does it have to be mustard gas avoiding historic facts when it can be any other gas used during WWI? If that's asking too much, then atleast I wish it wouldn't work like a long-lasting, spreading explosion (you touch it, you die) and the radius wouldn't touch a crawling soldier when the gas is above him.

You're right about the AI, although dodging the gas would probably make them fall into enemy fire. If the AI should be so exact, then they should also try to run for the least protected part of the trench whenever possible.

Kal YoshiKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2004, 04:00:00 am »

About the AI I was just thinking of an easy solution but with the gas, I thought MG tended to sink, thus it gets stronger towards the ground.

As far as I can tell though there isn't much AI to speak of ATM (I'm not a programmer) but moving away to much from a straight line path may slow down the game since they can't move diagonally. Also they have grenades to take out heavier defence.

Monkeh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2004, 01:53:00 pm »

OK people, here's the deal: this game is fine. Great. Not perfect, but it's a wonderful game to play when you're completely bored and/or on a coffee break.

It is NOT (to my understanding, at least) supposed to be an accurate simulation of life in the trenches during World War One. So all you war buffs, put your pants back on and stop hassling this guy. He's got other things to do.

In conclusion, the game is perfectly fine as it is. Stop whining and get back to beating your high score!

Handshakes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2004, 04:32:00 pm »

Very cool game overall. SImple but fun. Only downfall I see is the controls. Very awkward.
hy does it hurt when I pee?

chambochae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2004, 06:10:00 pm »

I'd like to quote from Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. Whether I can find the quote or not is entirely another matter, but I'll try. OK here's one, it's not what I was looking for but it does the same job.

On the way up [if i remember rightly this is going from the village to the trench] they were given wire cutters.
'I thought the guns would cut the wire' said bryne.
[meaning the artillery]

Then, a few pages later..

Grey shook his head. 'The wire isn't cut, you know. I don't want you to tell you men, but I've been up down with these things [binoculars] and I can assure you for stretches of hundreds of yards there is no shell damage at all. The shells have just not gone off.

Then during the attack...

The gaps in the wire became packed with bodies.

So the wire was supposed to be cut by the artillery bombardment that went on for days before the attack. But it wasn't. The soldiers were given wire cutters, but can you imagine stopping to cut the wire in the middle of no mans land? So the soldiers all went for the gaps that were there, and all the germans had to do was train the machine guns on the gaps. Complete slaughter.

So in relation to WWI medic, the wire could exist at the beginning of the game as pretty good barrier, but then could become destroyed by the artillery as the game goes on. This would raise questions about improving the AI and everything... it might be better just not to go there. Or they could just clamber over it.

Kal YoshiKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2004, 08:37:00 pm »

Thats cool but I can see how it may be difficult but atleast your teammates couldn't get slaughtered any easier.

MiKe14

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2004, 10:41:00 pm »

Hey... i loved the game, its awsome... now about all the other stuff...

on the next version, could you also include the map .bmp file. i like to mod things (like the people makeing them have WAY more blood when they die). i want to add stuff like grass and other things. also... the barbedwire sounds really cool.

about the new landscapes... it would be nice, but why dont you just add levels. like after your team kills all the germans you got to level 2-3-4-etc.

Also about the violence stuff, why do you just give your guy a stick or shovel and you just hit the *alive (not dead or injurd) men so you can patch them up to your advantage (but make you more weak when doing so so you dont just go on rampages)

And what program did you use to make this game? or how anyway. because i just wanted to make a ww1 mod for your game but you be a soldier. it would be for just my use (unless you email me and ask for it or something) so dont everyone complain about how it would ruin the game...

You havent posted in awhile so are you even working on it anymore?

un game...

MiKe14

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2004, 10:50:00 pm »

(edit) btw 5352... wounded by gunfire...

and i just played... i walked 2 inches from the start... got drilled in the head by a german rifleman

the germans have taken over my base a few times but still workin on theirs...

[ May 01, 2004: Message edited by: MiKe14 ]

[ May 01, 2004: Message edited by: MiKe14 ]

un game...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2004, 12:43:00 am »

I'm working on something else for the time being, but I'm writing down suggestions so that when I get around to doing the next version everything will be accounted for.  It could be a long time before I get back to it though.  There's a lot going on.

Regarding the map, it's randomly generated brown stuff each time (no bmp).  I wrote the game in C++ with OpenGL for the graphics and FMOD for the sound.  I have no idea how moding works.  Do people decompile the exe somehow?

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

chambochae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2004, 07:17:00 am »

Generally the developer releases an SDK with all the pre-compiled files in.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17