Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: WWI MEDIC  (Read 21348 times)

Pvt. Ajelico

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: WWI MEDIC
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2004, 01:20:00 am »

My friend and I made a batch file that will switch the sides so you can play as a German!  It also requires 2 new files for the German Machine Gunners.

Save the following text in the art folder as switch_teams.bat.

code:

copy ally.bmp temp.bmp
copy ally2.bmp temp2.bmp
copy allymedic.bmp tempmedic.bmp
copy allymedic2.bmp tempmedic2.bmp
copy allymedic3.bmp tempmedic3.bmp
copy mgunup_occ.bmp tempmgunup_occ.bmp
copy mgunup_shoot.bmp tempmgunup_shoot.bmp
copy face1.bmp tempface1.bmp
copy face1s.bmp tempface1s.bmp

copy german.bmp ally.bmp
copy german2.bmp ally2.bmp
copy germanmedic.bmp allymedic.bmp
copy germanmedic2.bmp allymedic2.bmp
copy germanmedic3.bmp allymedic3.bmp
copy germanmgunup_occ.bmp mgunup_occ.bmp
copy germanmgunup_shoot.bmp mgunup_shoot.bmp
copy face2.bmp face1.bmp
copy face2.bmp face1s.bmp

copy temp.bmp german.bmp
copy temp2.bmp german2.bmp
copy tempmedic.bmp germanmedic.bmp
copy tempmedic2.bmp germanmedic2.bmp
copy tempmedic3.bmp germanmedic3.bmp
copy tempmgunup_occ.bmp germanmgunup_occ.bmp
copy tempmgunup_shoot.bmp germanmgunup_shoot.bmp
copy tempface1.bmp face2.bmp
copy tempface1s.bmp face2s.bmp

You'll also need to edit the mgunup_occ.bmp and mggunup_shoot.bmp to look like blue German soldiers, then save them as germanmgunup_occ.bmp and germanmgunup_shoot.bmp respecively.  Don't worry, it's really simple.

So then after doing that, whenever you want to play as the other team, run the batch file.  And remember to backup your files first!

[ April 14, 2004: Message edited by: Pvt. Ajelico ]

Kal YoshiKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2004, 02:22:00 am »

Just a post to show people I'm still visting  :p

chambochae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2004, 01:29:00 pm »

I really like this game! I have a few suggestions.

The starting field could be green grass, with flowers and everything, and after a while it will turn to mud with all the craters.

It is hard.   :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2004, 02:32:00 pm »

Making the environment look nicer in the beginning is already on the issues and plans list, although I hadn't thought about flowers.  Occasionally having flowers would be nice.

It's part of the game that difficulty isn't progressive, even if that doesn't help the replay value.  It's not like the allies got closer and closer to the germans.

Although I think it's probably "on theme" to lose your medic in the confusion sometimes, it's also incredibly annoying.  I'll think about changing the uniform colors for both sides.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Pvt. Ajelico

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2004, 04:20:00 pm »

One thing I'd like in a future version is to have the trenches zig-zag.  That would be more realistic, and prevent strafing biplanes from wiping out an entire team.

http://www.laurencecook.com/speakman/wwi/trench01.html

Gasmasks will be a good addition as well.  Right now it's not so bad when you have to wait for the gas to clear to help your own guys, but the enemy medic is stupid and will run right into the gas and die.

chambochae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2004, 06:46:00 am »

I finally took a trench! woo yeh!  :D

I was a coward and stayed in the trench the whole time. It worked though... *luck*

Pvt. Ajelico

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2004, 05:54:00 pm »

I found out how to pause!

I'm not sure if this works in all versions of Windows, but the alt button will allow you to pause the game.

If you switch to another program or window you will lose the pause effect, so don't try it at work!

chambochae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2004, 12:50:00 pm »

yup, it works for me (Windows 98SE).    :)

F10 seems to do it too.

I've been thinking about the progressive difficulty thing, it's true that they didn't actually get a lot closer to germany, but the germans would concentrate more soldiers in places where their lines are breaking. So if you take a trench the germans would put more germans at that section in an attempt to reclaim the ground.

Also, how about a defeat situation, where if you defeat the germans at one point (i.e., capture an objective) you could be re-assigned to another section of the line where the fighting is more fierce.

[ April 17, 2004: Message edited by: chambochae ]

Kal YoshiKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2004, 06:44:00 pm »

I was thinking if its possible to put in a Free Battle style thing. Where you choose the # of allies # of Germans and other details like # of bombs and radius, # of airstrikes.

If you've ever played Little Fighter 2 (lf2.net) then you'll understand what I'm getting at.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2004, 04:45:00 am »

Up at the frontline where the game takes place the sections seem pretty straight, but the scale was omitted.

I guess I could remove pausing by getting rid of the menu bar at the top of the window?  I really don't know much about windows programming.

Regarding progressive difficulty, I just don't like the thought of having an easy part of the game.  It's supposed to be frustrating right from the beginning...  I think making it have levels of whatever guise would kill the mood, to me anyway.

Pono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2004, 12:34:00 pm »

I have an idea...

A trench in the direct middle... so soldier dont need to get slaughtered... they run in...some die..and some get in the middle trench.. the trench doesnt need to be the whole field length.. just like a small 1/3 of  the field...but in the middle.
it shall have no stationary guns but be 2 lengths so you see your soldiers...and you see the heads of the enemies...

also... an airstrike... instead of just the artillary add an airstrike... you here like either speech or gibberish but it says like "requesting airstrike"and the sound of a plane like 30 sec later (or whatever)and the bullets of the plane...followed by a line of explosions...in order...not all at once. like boom boom boom boom boom...like 5 explosions or so.. or it can be a shadow like the mortars and mustard gas, but a red smoke falls down... then that area gets bombed horozontilly across the field
this will only be done 2 or 3 times during a game...or in a time limit? or the medic can throw it

o yea my friend modded WW1Medic to make WW2Medic... it includes louder guns and graphics, plus a new feature of when you die it also shows "Shot in face" by friendly, machinegun w/e

so if anyone wants it if you have AIM IM me on i1i1notu2
MSN: i1i1notu2@msn.com
or email me at the above address

[ April 24, 2004: Message edited by: Pono ]

Radoslav

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2004, 06:05:00 pm »

In case you haven't noticed, this game tries to recreate a WWI trench battle as well as possible while keeping the gameplay up... well, besides a few facts. First of all, the trench settings. Trenches were 2 meters high with a platform up front so that the soldier could shoot ahead. According to the map Pvt. Ajelico presented, there were also barbed wires in front of the first line(which I wonder how they got through) and the trench lines were connected by narrower, zig-zagged but just as deep trenches. That would mean after enough soldiers got through to the enemy trench, it became an all-out fire fight with melee (bagnets on rifles) combat. The field between the enemy trenches was about 700-1500 meters, so the game's already easier than by history without a trench in the middle. About the airstrikes, I doubt those crappy planes have had radios, and even more I doubt there was an air-base anywhere near the trenches to have a bombard come by in 30 seconds. From another thing that's already in the game, bombards in the same small area of about 3-6 shells happen, while I've got no idea how could a plane at that time carry that many bombs or a mortar/artillery unit shoot so accurately at one point. The game itself gives me no answer as to what time of WWI am I at. I see planes dropping bombs and actually using MGs, chemical warfare in use, while I don't see camouflaged uniforms or gas masks. At the beginning of the war, the pilot of the plane could merely drop grenades at the trenches to increase fear among the soldiers and possibly kill someone. Weapon development goes really fast during war and in preperation for it. Although I don't expect most of that to be done in the game since it could decrease gameplay value, I like to mention the unmentioned. Just give the gas masks cause right now the mustard gas is like a long lasting explosion, it works too fast while it shouldn't work at all when it's just puffs and you're in prone position.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2004, 06:27:00 am »

The bombardment clusters were just for looks.  I couldn't help it.  Planes do occasionally drop one bomb when they fly over.

It is supposed to be later in the war -- late enough to have gas masks.  I just ran out of time.  They'll be in the next version, along with barbed wire (although I'll have to read about how it was circumvented).  I know the mustard gas is very inaccurately portrayed, and it dates the game since it only came into use in 1917, but it's a gameplay concern, as you suggest.  Phosgene just doesn't have the same ring to it.  Worse still, gas masks were not very effective against mustard gas (which can go after armpits, the groin and other exposed "moist" areas) but were more useful against chlorine and tear gas.  I'll still probably put gas masks in and keep the mustard gas...

Kal YoshiKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2004, 04:14:00 am »

Well, I'm looking forward to the new version, when's it planned to be finished?

Radoslav

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2004, 07:18:00 am »

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWmustard.htm  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_gas
The effects of mustard gas- damn slow, annoying and painful. According to those sites, it minorily works with eye watering in 2 hours after exposure, lung and throat narrowing in 3 hours and skin rashes and blisters the next day. While death comes at about 3-12 days later if it's serious and inafectively treated. Kinda meaningless in this game unless you'd make taking a trench move the time ahead one day, which would make sense, since getting a trench usually means getting the next 1 or 2 lines through the narrower, zig-zagged trenches, and after that, both sides have to set up the barbed wire while the winning side has to set up some platforms up front. But if ya wanna keep the current setting, you have to change the chemical to something else. (the second link has got some other gases used during WWI).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17