Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: WWI MEDIC  (Read 21344 times)

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WWI MEDIC
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2004, 05:25:00 pm »

Oh hey, yeah I guess I do owe a bit of an explaination...
As for the tree phase.. always kinda been there.. just not really a tree...
The stalking and heavy breathing..
Ya know sounds like me   ;)
I showed Thedead yer games.. some of em.

I've been pretty good, I always checked up on the site.. just havent posted..
Wasnt really sure what my password was either for a while...
but here I am again..
Waiting for another Armok Release  ;)
Heh

oof

Thedead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2004, 07:41:00 pm »

Yeah i knew renaxer for a bit of time now  me and him are good freinds from   P.A.   K.D.S.
Reprosent  pillowkase and Skratch in da house

ok i am done just nedded to get that out me and renaxer are working hard we are makeing  desinges and shit for you if you wan't them just e-mail me at pillowkase666@aol.com  i think they are pretty good if you asked me   well you didnt so ill shut up now lol well back to gay ass work.   hiho hiho of to gay ass work i go dadadadadada hiho hiho hiho yeah i can sing  well seeya later post back soon from Dead.   ps. hurry i wan't to see the new ww1 medic nah j/k  bye  i am cool i think (wink)

ooooooooooooooot   (i like to rape little renaxers)   RAWR!!!!!

PsychoX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2004, 01:23:00 pm »

Awesome game, very addictive!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2004, 11:18:00 pm »

Thanks!  There should be more interesting projects on the way to my next Armok release.  Whenever that is.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Kal YoshiKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2004, 08:15:00 am »

I've got to say varying backgrounds would be nice, nothing special just tree here, hole in the ground there.

Like a lot of people here I keep getting KIA by friendly's (top 3 scores all Shot by friendly) and really hope you can do something about it.

A idea I just sort of thought of that isn't hard to do is that were motar hits the whole that appears is acuatually indented in some way like the trenches, thus inenabling a medic to duck in if a charge is called while he's till on the field.

Thanks for atleast reading this, great game by the way, addictive.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2004, 02:55:00 pm »

Fortunately, craters already have altitude (you can tell if you run left or right across one).  Making them protect the medic and anybody else crawling would be easy -- I think for the display, I'll make the crater crawler darker/gray so that you know when you are safe.

I do want some level of friendly fire, but maybe what I'll get rid of is when they fire when you are right next to them.  That does seem kind of silly.  They were more reasonable in the original, if I remember.  The whole system is going to be changed for the next version somewhat, so that people are ducked behind the trench and just come up occasionally to look, and they might fire if they see somebody peeking on the other side.  This should also cut down on instances of friendly fire.  If there is an enemy charge going on and you are on the field, friendly fire is always going to be there.

I had planned to have grass, rocks and trees in the next version, in addition to that list I put up a few posts ago.  They probably won't count for much, except to highlight the destruction (brownification) of the landscape.

fastjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2004, 08:35:00 pm »

this is a great game, seriously noone ever makes ww1 games cause they say it would be pointless, well this is, IMHO, the perfect ww1 game, shows the pointlessness w/o being pointless.

suggestions: i read here about clearing a trench giving points, then you go to a new trench, right? (i havent done it).  

i think that officers tanks and craters protecting are all 3 superb ideas! dont add firing or xtra lives tht would strip the game of its essence.

suggestion: seeing how you die even when you dont make high scores, a la nethack (i love seeing how you died btw.)

dont take out friendly fire, its great!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2004, 11:43:00 pm »

Yeah, you get 1000 points for clearing a trench.  It could happen randomly, but usually will only happen if you've been a good medic, hence the bonus.

I'm going to leave friendly fire in -- I was just thinking of getting rid of the times when the guy can see you and he still shoots you when you're like 2 feet away, even though you are clearly a medic on his side.  I don't think something reasonable like that waters down the game at all.  It's not that the bullet will go through you -- the soldier will just hold off on the trigger in the first place.  He might not hold off in the case that there is an enemy charge going.  At that point, nerves might get the better of him.  One should be careful during charges.  Hmmm...  maybe very occasionally, soldiers should just flip out and scream and run into no man's land, or huddle and cry in the trenches, although there's no reason to hit the player with more of a sledgehammer than is already in play with all the moaning wounded.

I like your suggestion regarding death cause notification.

Kal YoshiKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2004, 01:36:00 am »

After reading your comments Toady I must implore you to reconsider or atleast reach a comprismise. Could you make FF default but leave an option in the game to disable it, I recommend this because the alternatives is much harder (Prevent Firing, Aiming away).

More importantly though and something I havn't seen mentioned is a multiplayer. Now I've thought a little how it could work .
Now aside from the obvious 2 player hot set style (1 medic per side, upon death or capture end) an online multi would be great.

Now first there'd need to be a lobby of some kind so people can join but what about game settings. Well I think firstly the game could easily support 4-6 medics (3 aside) and since the game isn't played in full screen this should work out fine.

Now the objective would be to take the other teams tench by healing enough men but when a medic dies he isn't out permanatly only for a set amount of time (custom 20-120 seconds). Upon capture the trench moving sequence occures (leading to a different style of area like trees or wrecked houses(Which would require updated AI)) it continues this until a set amount of wins are gained.

Another brief idea for multi is that rather then start with an army, there's many wounded netural troops waiting to be saved and as you save them you get more troops (not 1:1 more like 1:3) thus the more skilled team has a better chance and this may help live'n up mutli.

I think this would be fun, taking cover behind a tank as you heal a guy, then a team medic takes the guy and runs while you stick with the tank mending people only to get mortered with the tank.

So I know this is kinda long but I hope you read it and consider it because that would be pretty cool   :) .

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2004, 03:29:00 pm »

Preventing firing and aiming away isn't as hard as it might seem.  It should only take a few minutes to code, unless I make careless mistakes.  I'd just as soon keep friendly fire in completely, but like I said before, having your friends not shoot you in the face when you are 2 feet away and there's no charge going on seems reasonable.  I'm not going to add an option to disable it.  Friendly fire is actually surprisingly common.  There might as well be an option to turn mustard gas off (it might be the most well known, but it wasn't in use for most of the war and wasn't the most frequently used chemical, at least according to my internet reading).

On the one hand, I'd like to make these games as customizable as possible, because there's not much sense in being imperial about it where the player's enjoyment is concerned, except that in this case I think it's important to present the game as a single entity without watering it down to enhance the impact on new players and to keep the "arcade game" aspect of it.

Multiplayer games have the potential to be creative and fun, but I don't have the expertise required to set one up.  I just don't know the first thing about it, and I have too much on my plate to learn a whole new sort of programming.

Kal YoshiKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2004, 04:28:00 am »

Okay then I guess I'll just sit tight until you realease a new version then. Though I hope you can get in contact with someone who can do multi.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2004, 09:47:00 pm »

As with LCS, I've put up an ISSUES and PLANS LIST for this game.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2004, 10:37:00 pm »

I like the idea of the people in the trenchs freaking out, it would make the game more realistic.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2004, 10:40:00 pm »

what about foot rot from standing in muddy trenches too long?

Kal YoshiKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2004, 12:42:00 am »

I like all the plans, sounds good as for Insanity thats cool, randomly running at trenches shouldn't happen often as would get irritating. As for trenchfoot I think its a bad idea IMO because you've definitly got enough to contend with as it is.

Though you didn't mention it directly but night combat should also happen (Either with small lights or no lights) because you can't smoke at night without night.

You also didn't list ruined buildings/farmsteads as a To do, are there any plans to do them?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17