Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Metal waterwheel and axels?  (Read 3084 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Metal waterwheel and axels?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 03:53:36 pm »

Metal water wheels for collecting power from water are blindingly obvious as footkerchief points out and I see no reason not to to have them other then figuring out how they will be made (presumably a blacksmith would make metal buckets and pipe sections in the normal fashion and these would be assembled into the wheel).

A Steel or Adamantium wheel should be usable in Magma and I see no reason to have magma solidify on the wheel when magma doesn't solidify on ANYTHING ELSE that it logically would like a floodgate.  The game avoids this because it would be nothing but a royal nuisance. That said their are no natural flows or streams of magma now (though I whole heartedly endorse having underground magma rivers which really flow).  Its of course possibly to engineer flowing magma with pumps but that means any 'magma wheel' power at this point would be recapture magma pump power and suffer the same 'over unity' issue that effect water.

In conclusion it's an idea worth having if magma rivers were added and the over unity issue was resolved.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 06:37:50 pm »

On magma rivers, If I channeled the rock at the surface of the magma and led it out down a hill, would the volcano keep overflowing through this channel?

I would test it, but skeletal fire imps are no fun within the first two years of a fortress. I haven't cleaned them out yet.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:39:22 pm by BradB »

ogion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 01:42:49 pm »

Bugger.... so much for my high pressure river water squirter... :(

Well.... Fountains would be an awesome construct... 1 mechanism, 3 blocks/bars, 1 cork screw, and in-situ decorations  ;D
If that wouldn't generate happy thoughts, nothing would...
Sy wut?! Me ranger is fishing in the well??? He better not catch anything...
Pages: 1 2 [3]