Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25

Author Topic: Meta-Slature (Bring your monocles!) [Turn 10, Phase II]  (Read 56439 times)

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
Re: Meta-Slature (Bring your monocles!)
« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2008, 02:57:37 am »

341:
How are the NICE representatives chosen?

The rule would add one into the government, to vote as the current supporter votes. It's essentially a bonus vote, that must be used.

How are points divided?

Say there is two players with 5 points, one with 2, one with 10. A donation of 24 points is made. They each get 8 points, except for the two players with 5, they split their share of 8 into 2 shares of 4 and 4.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2008, 04:13:14 am »

3382:
I fail to see the point in all this. What does "active" mean? Participating?

Put simply, a player cannot participate in any other phase if they do not make a proposition in phase I.  However, a player is penalized for being "inactive."  Hence, my proposition attempts to amend the situation in which a player accidentally misses the first phase, but comes back before the others are finished.  Players in this situation, in my opinion, should not be penalized (by being given cats).

[rant] I suppose I should state that, on a whole, I don't think that we should force people to play.  There were many days during Battle of the Gods II where I just didn't want to write anything.  My mind was shot, and the Internet was the last place I wanted to be.  But I slugged through it knowing that if I didn't post, I would lose, my race wiped out.  I was stuck between wanting to "win" and wanting to relax.  I always want to avoid that situation, and am a firm believer in the idea that, if you want to take a break from a game, you should be able to do so without penalty.  Otherwise, it becomes work, and we have enough of that already. [/rant]

Of course, this would be somewhat nullified by Tylui's proposition, which implies that only people who proposed something should be allowed to argue for and against the propositions (which I again disagree with; people should be able to express their opinions....).  That would effectively make any comment either illegal or spam, neither of which we want.

338: as is the general consensus, restriction of voting rights is the last thing we need (don't worry, I'm sure this turn will see some failed propositions)

340: I'm still a fan of simplicity, and this seems rather over the top, and it still gives us nothing to do with cat bones/meat (though I do support subsection A).  I am, however, for a way to make cats less troublesome.

341: "Cats are valuable creatures" Wait...What?  Though I'm for people being able to suspend their participation without penalty, rewarding them for it is not what I have in mind.

342: I'm for this, as it gives incentive to help out others.

343: I disagree.  Personally, I think there should be a completely different rule dealing with contracts and the like.  Not to mention, "to follow the demands after the points are accepted" could be applied to ANY demands, not just those made before the points were given.  Also, demands by whom?  According to your wording of the rule, demands by anyone would be applicable.

344: Alright, I'll bite.

345: I disagree with the second subsection.  Like I said before, people should be able to post their opinions whether they posted a proposition or not.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:24:51 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 20, 2008, 08:17:32 am »

[rant] I suppose I should state that, on a whole, I don't think that we should force people to play.  There were many days during Battle of the Gods II where I just didn't want to write anything.  My mind was shot, and the Internet was the last place I wanted to be.  But I slugged through it knowing that if I didn't post, I would lose, my race wiped out.  I was stuck between wanting to "win" and wanting to relax.  I always want to avoid that situation, and am a firm believer in the idea that, if you want to take a break from a game, you should be able to do so without penalty.  Otherwise, it becomes work, and we have enough of that already. [/rant]
I see. I agree with you on this, but I think it would be better to simply propose that the whole "cat" rule be removed.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #228 on: December 20, 2008, 09:39:01 am »

Well, the  whole point of the cats are to make missing a turn even more undesireable, by giving them penalties. Adding all of the extra stuff does NOTHING unless someone wanted to create a way to construct workshops.

The point of it is to scare the inactive players away from messing with forces that they can't understand.

The only other changes are the optional cat sharing and the change to cat meat and cat bones.
Eh?
Eh!

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 20, 2008, 09:50:48 am »

The point of it is to scare the inactive players away from messing with forces that they can't understand.
The whole point was to be confusing? I don't think penalties should make the game harder to play, but make it harder win.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 20, 2008, 09:59:41 am »

Well... at the time I had planned it just to be a completely useless but logical extension of the cats, to something more dwarf fortressy, but it grew to something a bit to complex...

Still, if you look at it, most of it needs a butcher's workshop, and that will probably never be constructed.
Eh?
Eh!

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 20, 2008, 01:03:29 pm »

You'll need to add rules for constructing buildings before you add rules that involve using them.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 20, 2008, 07:22:26 pm »

345: I disagree with the second subsection.  Like I said before, people should be able to post their opinions whether they posted a proposition or not.

Actually, my Proposition has nothing to do with limiting peoples' rights to post.  It just states what would make that Player a Participant in that Phase.

But because of Rule 310, they would not become a Participator for that Phase if they did not Participate in Phase I of that Turn.

I think that 310 needs modification next Turn.

Also:  My Proposal was meant to be fully compatible with yours, Frelock, where there is a distinction between being a Participant and being merely Active.

I guess nobody really gets to discuss my opinions since I'll be starting the next Phase, but here are my opinions anyway:

338. "Limitation of Ayes"
I don't think this one is really needed.  There have been some neat Propositions the last couple of Turns; but as you'll see soon, I really have no problems with voting "no" if I don't like a Proposition. :P

339. "Activation"
I suppose I should have posted my opinions sooner to get this reformed.  It'd be nice if Propositions didn't address other Rules so specifically like this one.

Anyway, I believe this to be a needed Rule, especially if mine is ratified as well.  A Player being "Active" is different from a Player being a "Participant" to a Phase. For instance, you shouldn't have to be a Participant to vote for a Score Keeper or change your Mentor, but these actions are most definitely indicative of Player who is active.  This should have been in the Core Rules, along with my Proposition. :P

340. "More on cats"
Fweeee...  As others have said, I believe a more robust system should be fleshed out before we do anything else with cats/resources/workshops.  We need a way to declare the things we can have/do a little more...  Modularly.  Like what we did with the sub-games Rule(R321).  But better.

341. "Inactive Intent"
I like the style that this Proposition was presented: good organization, precise terminology, etcetera.  However, I don't think I like the idea of rewarding inactivity.  Already Meta-Slature has suffered from gaps of inactivity due to Yours Truly and I have to say that it didn't bode well.  It would be bad if people purposely were inactive.

Again, it was a very nice first Proposition, Serg.  Nothing personal. :P

342. "Donation Box"
Again, good organization, and clear execution, but I don't think this is something we really need.

(Off Topic: I think it would be a really great thing to start thinking of ways to restructure the Rules.  I realize it's early on, but better now than later[like the multithreading discussions say. :P])

343. "Agreement"
No.  For one, nobody has even used the Charity Points system, and I don't think that forced actions woul dbe beneficial, really.

344. "Elimination of Mutual Mentorship"
This should have been taken care of the first time around.  Kudos for discovering the error.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 20, 2008, 07:31:08 pm »

Turn 6

Phase 2.5 - Voting

Status

http://www.lanimals.com/Other/metaslature/default.asp

Status Changes This Phase:

Tylui, Participation(R330)
Tylui, +5, First Participant of Phase 2.5(R202)
Fenrir, Participation(R330)
Servant Corps, Participation(R330)
qwertyuiopas, Participation(R330)
Serg, Participation(R330)
Frelock, Participation(R330)
Frelock, -1 BV, Bonus Vote(R314)
Fualkner, Participation(R330)
webadict, Participation(R330)
Tylui, +2, webadict's Mentor(R336)

--Propositions--

338. "Limitation of Ayes"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

339. "Activation"

340. "More on cats"

341. "Inactive Intent"

342. "Donation Box"

343. "Agreement"

344. "Elimination of Mutual Mentorship"

345. "Participation Definitions"

Again, the Phase names are going to be wrong, sicne I haven't any way to edit them where I am.  Also, that page will be undergoing some changes so it works a little more dynamically.  It'll update based on actions instead of me manually typing in what it should look like.  Anyway!

webadict, it's funny that you should have chosen me as your mentor, because I was going to choose YOU as mine, since you have the most participation. :P
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:21:42 am by Tylui »

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 20, 2008, 07:35:32 pm »

(Hurray for Triple Posting!)

My votes!

338. No
339. Yes
340. No
341. No
342. No
343. No
344. Yes
345. Yes

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 20, 2008, 07:38:52 pm »

338: No.
339: No.
340: No.
341: No.
342: No.
343: No.
344: Yes.
345: Yes.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 20, 2008, 08:32:22 pm »

338. No
339. Yes
340. No
341. No
342. No
343. Yes
344. Yes
345. Yes
Not to mention, "to follow the demands after the points are accepted" could be applied to ANY demands, not just those made before the points were given.

Oh dear. Well, if you look at the full clause though, it does state that you can donate points in return of demands. I do wish there was a way to withdraw proposals...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 08:35:04 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 20, 2008, 08:36:09 pm »

338 No
339 Yes
340 Yes
341 No
342 No
343 Yes
344 Yes
345 Yes
Eh?
Eh!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 20, 2008, 09:30:09 pm »

Can somebody propose a law so that I can rejoin when someone wins? I don't want to be out forever :(.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Serg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 20, 2008, 09:40:22 pm »

338: No
339: No
340: No
341: Yes
342: No
343: No
344: Yes