Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stop ransacking Tasked materials when crafter halts  (Read 825 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Stop ransacking Tasked materials when crafter halts
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:45:07 pm »

Has anyone ever noticed how a Crafter will often stop in the middle of their work to go get a drink or perhaps a bite to eat and immediately haulers will grab up every raw material they were using and put them back in storage forcing the crafter to collect them all over again.  This is an annoying waste of time and merely creates extra hauling for everyone involved.  If a task is at the top of the queue and it goes from Active (green A next too it) to not active the materials should go from 'Task' (TSK) to and a new state called IDLE which would prevent frivolous hauling.  The idle materials are still associated with that top queued job and if the player cancels the job the materials are freed up to be hauled away so you don't have to worry about things getting permanently 'stuck' in a workshop.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Stop ransacking Tasked materials when crafter halts
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 01:02:02 pm »

Has anyone ever noticed how a Crafter will often stop in the middle of their work to go get a drink or perhaps a bite to eat and immediately haulers will grab up every raw material they were using and put them back in storage forcing the crafter to collect them all over again.

Yeah, seconded. It's annoying indeed.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 01:38:57 pm »

Definitely agree with this.  Maybe the OP should add it to the eternal suggestion list?
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 02:28:44 pm »

Hm.  What happens if the dropped item isn't in a workshop, but in a tile where a wall is about to be built?

I know this problem already exists with construction materials, but I'd rather not expand it.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 02:55:24 pm »

Hm.  What happens if the dropped item isn't in a workshop, but in a tile where a wall is about to be built?

I know this problem already exists with construction materials, but I'd rather not expand it.

Maybe have some tag so that it only takes effect for items actually in the workshop?
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 10:05:25 pm »

I never implied it would affect materials outside a workshop, only the items in the workshop have that TSK marker.  Keeping items dropped randomly in hallways would indeed be a bad idea as it would clutter things up.  Logically things left in a public hallway are going to get moved out of the way and things at are at someones workstation and are needed for work thats scheduled will not be. 

On the more general point though I think crafters just dropping things in the halls the moment they become thirsty is a problem in its self.  I mean If your in the middle of a task and are moving something and get thirsty you don't literally drop everything ware you stand and rush off to slake your thirst, you finish putting the thing in question at your workstation and then get the drink.  Programaticaly I'd do it like this, a dwarf has a 'thirst' timer that eventually runs down they become thirst but they don't stop their current task, they just schedules a drink as their NEXT task, at the same time a second short timer starts and if the drink hasn't been obtained by then they will just drop everything as they are now 'very thirsty', same logic applies to every other kind of 'break' they need to take just vary the length of that secondary timer to represent how pressing the needed break is.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 11:32:49 am »

It sounds like what we may want is a system whereby we can store materials in the buildings  (kind of like a storage pile)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 11:41:31 am »

# Req385, HAUL JOB OVERRIDES, (Future): Workshop jobs should remove haul tasks from items within them if the item is applicable for the job.

I think there's also one about suspending tasks instead of canceling them when, say, a crafter goes to get a drink, but I can't find it.

There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 11:44:44 am »

^^^ Haha wow.  I'm always amazed how much of this stuff he's already thought of.