Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sanity Check - Magma Filling Trap  (Read 589 times)

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
Sanity Check - Magma Filling Trap
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:35:53 am »

All right, after having the elves laugh at me by bringing nothing but 8 bins of cloth and four loose bolts of cloth, I've decided I want to create a warm little surprise if they try that again.

Here's my concept:

Code: [Select]
*Pumping system*
|~A~~|     |~B~~|
|~~~~|       |~|
|~~~~|       |~|
|~~~~|       |~|
|~~~~|       |~|
|~~~~|       |~|
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
So the pumps pull magma from the pipe, A, and hold it in a chamber above/around the trade depot, B.  Once flooding/burnination is accomplished, hatches in the floor of B open, dumping the magma into a reclamation tube that funnels back into the pipe, where it hopefully disappears.

That "hopefully" is my main sticking point, as even testing it would be a major undertaking.  Will dropping magma into the side of the pipe cause it to disappear, or will I need to pump the magma out of the depot again and drop it back into the pipe from above?  That would be tricky, since due to the pipe being undiscovered when I embarked, I managed to dig a lot of my fortress directly above it.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sanity Check - Magma Filling Trap
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:01:00 am »

To the best of my knowledge, magma does not disappear back into the pipe -- if it did, you would never be able to channel magma away from the pipe to begin with.

It *might* disappear into the top of the pipe, but I've never checked.  Doesn't sound like it would work for you anyways.

If you don't have a chasm/pit/HFS to throw the stuff into, consider obsidian farming to get rid of it.  Or, drop it into a really large cistern and have it evaporate.  Since any amount of magma will burn things, you don't need to flood your depot to 7/7, so you don't really need *that* much magma.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sanity Check - Magma Filling Trap
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:13:12 pm »

Just pump it out onto the rest of the map. Burn the world.

EDIT: Better idea. Dig magma lakes above ground.