Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Somewhere between tactics and strategy...  (Read 3690 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Somewhere between tactics and strategy...
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

I don't know if this exists.  I'm looking for game recommendations.

Okay, so I'm looking for a game that's somewhere between X-Com and your average RTS.  Should have plenty of strategy, terrain should matter (cover and concealment), should have more than like eight guys without being unwieldly (X-Com stops being fun when you have more than a small handful of soldiers), reflexes should not be a major factor, but should not be absurdly slow (again, X-Com stops being fun when each turn takes forever...I like my turn-based games, but here I'm looking for something realtime if possible).  Multiplayer is an even bigger plus.  Resource management should be limited to ammo.

So far, the closest thing I've ever found to this hypothetical game is Close Combat 3.  And that is a *FUN* WW2 game.  You order squads around, and they have at least marginal AI (tell them to move near a wall and face north, and they'll get on the south side and crouch down).  Realtime, but slow-paced: Cover fire is important, and deaths are actually pretty rare among infantry unless you get caught without cover or flanked--it's a thinking man's realtime game, for sure.  Your units have their -own- reflexes, and if you want to sneak up on them, you have to be smart (instead of just catching your opponent when he isn't looking).  It fits all of what I'm looking for, except that it's very dated, now...and maybe it's a little -too- slow.

I haven't gone looking for new games in quite a while...I remember some Starship Troopers thing a long time ago, but real-time fully tactical games don't thrill me. They're too fast, and I don't like reflexes in my thinking (RTSes are even worse, because then you get reflexes in your resource production).  A long time ago there was a pretty awesome online-only game that was similar too, on a service called 2AM Games, but that died out quite a while back.

Any recommendations?

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhere between tactics and strategy...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »

The best RTS I've ever played is Empire Earth (the first one, the sequel and third suck) but it's not free and the only part I really love is the editor. You can make the spartans fight some robots. Fun.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

Empire Earth 1 is the most recent RTS I've played.  I didn't know there even WERE so many.

Fun game but still relentlessly reliant on reflexes and micromanagement.  Very specific strategies for when to start garrisoning your villagers in those resource collection depots, and if you're a little slow, well, good luck fielding a big enough army to fight someone who's quicker on their resources.

But yeah, if I played any RTS, that'd be the one I'd play.  (Age of Empires 1 was good too.)  ...Up until you get giant mechas at least.  Then it's too compliated.

Oh yeah.  I managed to break Empire Earth once, too.  Discovered that if you modified a saved civ-bonuses file with a hex editor, the game would make sure the point cost added up, but it would NOT check to make sure the bonuses were sane.  You could stack up those rate-of-fire bonuses to RIDICULOUS levels.  I had field artillery that fired so rapidly, it looked like one solid stream of lead that killed anything it touched.  Only good against buildings, but still..!  And did I mention it worked online?  Only tried it once, but hilarious!

[ February 15, 2008: Message edited by: Sowelu ]

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 02:24:00 am »

i read a review for a PSP game ...SOCOM: Tactics...i think that was the name...sounds kind like what you're looking for.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

You sound like you're describing Medieval... so I recommend:

Medieval. Any of them.

Also, Sins of a Solar Empire. But there's not much tactical freedom in Sins.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 03:33:00 am »

If you're looks for small squads you might want to try Fallout:Tactics, it's five characters max, but fits all of your other requirements real well.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 04:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BishopX:
<STRONG>If you're looks for small squads you might want to try Fallout:Tactics, it's five characters max, but fits all of your other requirements real well.</STRONG>

Oh yeah! Fallout tactics. Fun game.

Well.. the first few levels anyway. Then it goes really downhill.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

Sowelu, you mentioned X-Com. did you try apocalypse (X-Com III)? it can be played in real time, terrain matters (sort of...), no multilayer though  :(.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 10:31:00 am »

And for those with computers that could eat a block of lead in five bytes, there's Company of Heroes.

Provided you don't mind mass-producing tanks if you're playing against someone who won't cooperate on an infantry game.  I hate games that turn out that way...

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

Myth II: Soulblighter!
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

As fun as it is, CoH is anything but small squad tactics. It has the scope (and pace) of a "normal" RTS, with dozens of units (in this case squads) on each side.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »

I hate most RTSs, they're too fast.  Warcraft 3 is the worst, what's the point of playing a game that feels more like work?
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffles:
<STRONG>I hate most RTSs, they're too fast.  Warcraft 3 is the worst, what's the point of playing a game that feels more like work?</STRONG>
It doesn't feel like work to some of us?

I'm very good at RTSs, very bad at action games. Maybe you're the other way around?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

It depends on the game, I hate Halo-n-such, shooters need to be scary, or have a good story.  I retract my previous statement, sometimes I forget the RTSs I like.    
I have a tendency to remember my rabid hatred of WC3 and mistakenly apply it to all RTSs.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2