Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making those damned gremlins work for a living!  (Read 1061 times)

arlan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Making those damned gremlins work for a living!
« on: November 24, 2008, 02:44:05 pm »

I've been playing around with the idea for a race of intelligent giants or some such, however, since work is beneath them (and an endless horde of giants would be rather too easy), what I was hoping to do was stick with only the original seven migrants, and give them gremlin pets, making the gremlin pets do all the labour and construct seven glorious towers for their giant overlords. I figured this would work, since gremlins are intelligent, and even have labour options if you have them as pets.

Problem is, they won't act on their labour options even though I can select them. Damned things stand around as gormless as any other pet, so the question is, is it possible to make gremlins (or any other intelligent pet) actually do work?

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
Re: Making those damned gremlins work for a living!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 06:06:09 pm »

I think that the intelligent tag+pet=Doesn't work.  I think that it wants them to be pets only, and if they're going to work they have to be citizens. I dunno.
This is -ing good wood!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:16:14 pm »

I think, using Companion, you can set their civilization number to the same as your dwarves, and remove the pet flag.
Could work.
Could also crash DF.
Save first.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:32:02 pm »

I think, using Companion, you can set their civilization number to the same as your dwarves, and remove the pet flag.
Could work.
Could also crash DF.
Save first.

Do it. FOR GREAT DWARVEN JUSTICE.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:37:32 pm »

I think they need an entity file with all the jobs you want them to do enabled before it will work.  I might be wrong though, haven't messed around with it much.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 06:48:55 pm »

Could work.
Could also crash DF.
Save first.

NO! There setting you up the bomb!

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:28:11 pm »

Could work.
Could also crash DF.
Save first.

NO! There setting you up the bomb!

Dorfs: MAIN SCREEN TURN ALL.
Dorfs: IT'S YOU!
Straycats: How are you gentlemen!!
Straycats: All your base are belong to us.
Straycats: You are on the way to destruction.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:29:47 pm »

There was some experimenting done a while back on the subject. Heres what was discovered.

The labors fishing and hunting are not issued through a building.
Every other labor is issued through a building in one way or another.
When the game goes through the creatures it assigns jobs only to the initial founder civilization.
However hunting and fishing are generated when the creature idles.
Therefore you can set any creature to hunt or fish if they are tame and they will.

What you can do is start as a gremlin civ with 7 dwarf pets. Build each of them a tower and release them in their towers.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

arlan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 11:47:44 am »

Could work.
Could also crash DF.
Save first.

I'd love to, but companion generally buries me under a large pile of error messages every time I try to install it, so that ain't happening...