Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swimming Dwarves  (Read 876 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swimming Dwarves
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:26:22 am »

1.  I made my dwarves a swimming pool, and it was a headache.  Even with the water depth down to threes and fours, they complained constantly about dangerous terrain, and a few got very thirsty because they kept interrupting for dangerous terrain trying to get from the pool to the well.  I know that I could draft them and station them in the pool, but is there some way to make civilians learn to swim without the blizzard of job interrupts?

2.  In my next fortress I'll have a magma pipe, and I plan to build some internal safety measures.  What depth of water must a burning dwarf walk through to extinguish him?

3.  Is there some depth of water at which a dwarf will drop what he's carrying to swim?  Or can dwarves swim even while hauling stuff?

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Swimming Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:44:31 am »

I don't know about point one.  I imagine you could just lock them in and turn off all their labors, and drain the pool when they're hungry or thirsty to let them out.

About point two... Usually if a dwarf falls in magma, you're down a dwarf.  Their body parts just *melt* away.  I'd not worry about it too much.

I've not had a dwarf ever drop any of their equipment or weapons to swim... They'll drop stuff they're hauling if their job gets canceled though.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 11:53:04 am »

Water doesn't put out fires last I checked

Wall off the pool or lock the door once they're in. How'd you get them there anyway?

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:14:51 pm »

I've used Tweak to light my my dwarves' feet on fire and then douse them with water.  It puts the fire out, but they have this bizarre tendency to randomly reignite when you're not looking.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:22:02 pm »

they're feet are now embers. only needs alittle oxygen to light'em back up!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 09:39:21 pm »

How'd you get them there anyway?
I dug a pit, put a pair of bridges over it, and designated it both a meeting area and a sculpture garden.  With 150 dwarves, I probably had 2 or 3 of them in the water at any given time.

If I do it again, I'll build the statues in the pit and designate the room and meeting area in the water.  But like I said, the dwarves kept interrupting themselves due to dangerous terrain, to the point that I was worried about one of my millers getting unhappy from thirst.  If I can solve that problem, then I could have a whole fortress of expert swimmers.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 09:49:40 pm »

I saw someone do a challenge game on a scorching map where they had to put out immigrants as they entered the fort, so water apparently works to some extent.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 11:03:15 pm »

That was me!  It does work.

I've also had other relevant experience with people spontaneously combusting -- I made a post in the bugs forum about it.  If you have temperature off, and someone takes a dip in magma, and then you later turn temperature back on, they combust.  Apparently, their temperature is set when they enter the magma, and then never cleared.

To fix, you have to wait until they actually catch on fire, and *then* put them out.  Trying to put them out beforehand does nothing.  You can either station them on a retracting bridge over some water, or in front of some pumps.  When they start to burn, pull the lever. 

(They may still be horribly injured, but they should stop combusting.)
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 11:08:03 pm »

Swimming is currently messed up. 1-3 level water might extinguish fire, and maybe even wash some mud, blood, and vomit off your dwarves, but it will give no swimming training. At 4-7 on the other hand, dwarves will gain swimming training, and gain attibutes, but they won't like it. They're apparently hydrophobes. Generally, swimming will slow you down, unless you have a pretty decent swim level, then it won't affect your speed, and there's rumours that the higher swimming levels will actually increase the speed of your dwarves over the usual.
Yes, I've done a lot of research on water.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 11:20:14 pm »

In Adventure mode, my human was a legendary swimmer.

His walking speed was 1818, and his swimming speed was double that.

So yes, it indeed does make you go faster with every level.