Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's in store?  (Read 2528 times)

monzill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Yahoo
What's in store?
« on: November 23, 2008, 06:10:16 pm »

Alright, after a bit of a haitus (Fallout 3, EndWar, to name a few), I've come back to DF.

I'm back on my old fort, which I had just completed the lava moat on a desert map (I had the third resident evil film in my head when I thuoght of the initial design, but that's gone to the won now). Now Right before I left to go play my other games I experienced my first siege of goblins. Now it was a smalL group and they got obliterated and routed by a leaving caravan (which then got nailed by the fire imp that had about 10 kills under it's belt by the time the two groups met, I gotta check to see if the goods are still on the map.)

ANYWAY.....

What I'm looking for is some intel on what I'll be facing in the future. Are there airborne assaults? Do they eventually get crossbowmen of their own (provoking a wall around the lava moat with arrow slits, they have those in the game, right?*)

I checked the past logs, but you try typing "siege" in the search bow and see what you find, quite a bit I assure you)

Well, I'm off to play my desert home, any info will be appreciated.

Monzill

*That's a bonus question if you can give me the correct name if it oes exist, or what the alternative is)
f you are reading this, you have fallen victim to the Trust Virus. If all of you could delete your hard drives and erase all data of you on the internet, that''d be helpful, thanks.

Jisaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's in store?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:14:10 pm »

Arrow slits are called fortifications, and they might be a good idea, since goblins eventually do bring crossbows. Even better if you have them a z-level up so that it will be harder for goblins to aim.

As for flying creatures, goblins don't bring any, if that's what you're asking. Some maps have flying wildlife though.

monzill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:53:08 pm »

Well that solves a lot of my original questions, now 've got two more:

Can somone post a link on artificial construct building tutorials(I've got a sliver of space in some areas of my moat with which to build the wall and at least once I'll need a walkway overhangiing my magma workshops).

And in addition: I've come to the conclusion that I am starting to get sick and tired of looking at sand. So if I decide to build a glass conglomerate will I evetually start to see the end of the sand? or does it just spawn ad infinitium?
f you are reading this, you have fallen victim to the Trust Virus. If all of you could delete your hard drives and erase all data of you on the internet, that''d be helpful, thanks.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:59:17 pm »

Well that solves a lot of my original questions, now 've got two more:

Can somone post a link on artificial construct building tutorials(I've got a sliver of space in some areas of my moat with which to build the wall and at least once I'll need a walkway overhangiing my magma workshops).

And in addition: I've come to the conclusion that I am starting to get sick and tired of looking at sand. So if I decide to build a glass conglomerate will I evetually start to see the end of the sand? or does it just spawn ad infinitium?

Press 'b', then 'C', and then select one of the following in that submenu. ( the said submenu is called the Constructions Menu )
Or you can press 'b', then scroll around select what you want. ( Link )

No, the sand is infinite.

Jisaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 07:05:02 pm »

You can, however, pave it with road or floor if you get sick of looking at it.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 07:14:39 pm »

Or even glass.  And I think you can collect sand through floors.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

monzill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 08:08:53 pm »

The concept of a glass city is rather enticing, kinda got the image from the wizard of oz going through my head about that.

Edit: Anybody got a link for the process on how to make glass infrastructure?

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 08:18:58 pm »

1. Build glass blocks
2. Construct stuff as per the link above, selecting glass blocks as your construction material
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 10:57:23 pm »

Or even glass.  And I think you can collect sand through floors.
Floors replace the material below unless deconstructed.
So no.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 03:15:52 am »

Oh I like that idea.  Get sand -> turn sand into glass -> pave sand with glass.  Stylish, and has a slightly nooklear-apocalypse feel to it.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

monzill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 08:37:12 pm »

Arrow slits are called fortifications, and they might be a good idea, since goblins eventually do bring crossbows. Even better if you have them a z-level up so that it will be harder for goblins to aim.

As for flying creatures, goblins don't bring any, if that's what you're asking. Some maps have flying wildlife though.

I've started working on the wall with fortifications on the second floor of it, though this looks like the project is gonna take a few years to complete, especially with the way I run my military.

I'm just confirming that marksdwarves will shoot down to a lower Z level if given the right equipment and they can pull it off. What I'm looking to do is keep my fortress guard on a melee basis as they typically hang out around the only entrancway to the actual fort, and then have roving patrols of marksmen on the walls comprised of standard soldiers.

Anyone know any threads, FAQs, or links in general that'll help on how to make this work?

In addition, my civilians have the nasty little tendency to try to run out and pick up the loot from the bodies that have fallen to the enemy attacks. So three times now I've had up to 3 guys actually outside the fort (woodcutters until a recent hunter showed up), and once one of them discovers the raid and gets killed, I have 20 guys rushing out to grab the items, and while it's funny to see them run around in circles around the attackers, if there was a kinda of "everybody run inside" siren I could activate for civilians, that'd be nice to know about.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 08:47:38 pm »

o,i toggles Dwarves Go Outside, Only Soldiers Go Outside, All Dwarves Stay Inside (paraphrased)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 08:48:16 pm »

I've started working on the wall with fortifications on the second floor of it, though this looks like the project is gonna take a few years to complete, especially with the way I run my military.

I'm just confirming that marksdwarves will shoot down to a lower Z level if given the right equipment and they can pull it off. What I'm looking to do is keep my fortress guard on a melee basis as they typically hang out around the only entrancway to the actual fort, and then have roving patrols of marksmen on the walls comprised of standard soldiers.

Anyone know any threads, FAQs, or links in general that'll help on how to make this work?

In addition, my civilians have the nasty little tendency to try to run out and pick up the loot from the bodies that have fallen to the enemy attacks. So three times now I've had up to 3 guys actually outside the fort (woodcutters until a recent hunter showed up), and once one of them discovers the raid and gets killed, I have 20 guys rushing out to grab the items, and while it's funny to see them run around in circles around the attackers, if there was a kinda of "everybody run inside" siren I could activate for civilians, that'd be nice to know about.
What you need to do is to forbid items when they drop, for to orders (o) and forbid (F) and forbid what needs to be forbided.

monzill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 08:51:03 pm »

o,i toggles Dwarves Go Outside, Only Soldiers Go Outside, All Dwarves Stay Inside (paraphrased)

That looks like it'll work for the bulk of my day to day operations, but do commands like chop down tree, build wall/floor/fortification, and other such things override the command?

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 09:31:16 pm »

Nope.  Some dwarves are just lolligaggers and stay outside anyways.  Occasionally you'll get the amazing immigrant who just sits where they entered the map and doesn't move no matter what the orders are.  Eventually they go berserk and start moving.  'Tis an odd bug.

Pages: [1] 2