Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Glass Fort  (Read 11085 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Glass Fort
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 02:58:09 am »

Thats true. Glass was used as a flux material historically because of its abundance and ease of acquiring. The only difficult thing about glass was getting it to be flat sheets for windows, making a chunk for use as flux was easy (you just need heat!).

Also as for the 3 glass blocks = 1 bin... thats how much METAL it takes so I think its not that wasteful. 3 of an infinite resource and 1 coal isn't more wasteful than 3 of a limited resource and 1 coal.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 05:54:36 pm »

From what I was able to find, the use of glass as a flux was not common at all, apparently related to Damascus steel. Steel made using glass as a flux was called wootz steel, and though the process was in use in 300 BC, it didn't reach the Middle East until nearly 1000 AD.

It didn't last very long because the type of iron they used in this process got used up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wootz_steel
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 09:38:26 pm »

Hmm, interesting.  I might just make a special damascus steel, then, and, from what I'm reading here, they used hematite specifically in the process, so I might narrow it down to hematite + fuel + glass for making it.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 01:46:58 pm »

It should be noted that the steel that was made in this manner was of vastly superior quality to any other steel in use at the time, and possibly even superior to steel being used today. So the "tempered crystal glass" mod here is accurate in its better quality (damage, value) than average steel.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 04:29:08 am »

From what I was able to find, the use of glass as a flux was not common at all, apparently related to Damascus steel. Steel made using glass as a flux was called wootz steel, and though the process was in use in 300 BC, it didn't reach the Middle East until nearly 1000 AD.

It didn't last very long because the type of iron they used in this process got used up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wootz_steel

I'm sorry but that's hilarious. It's a special extra strong steel...called Wootz.
Wootz!
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 11:18:25 am »

Lolcat Cancels Store Object in Stockpile: Interrupted by Wootz

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 06:35:15 pm »

Use of this mod seems to result in two types of green glass (I havn't tried clear or crystal' - "green glass" and "Green glass"; the former of which is what appears in the magma glass furnace and does the standard things, the latter of which is a metal that needs iron to make, and can be used to make beds.

Is this mod not intended to allow me to make glass beds and such in the smelter? Thats sortof what I was expecting.....especially as I see this:

[REACTION:BED_GLASS_GREEN]
[NAME:make green glass bed]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:3:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]
[FUEL]

Has anyone gotten this to work? Some parts of it seem to work, but mostly the 'glass as a metal' parts.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 06:38:09 pm by lastofthelight »

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 06:40:09 pm »

It works for me. I make green glass blocks at the glass furnace and then convert them into beds, bins and barrels through the smelter reaction. The smelters take the green glass blocks I made at my furnace.

I don't know what you are talking about, sorry.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 06:52:52 pm »

I can't imagine what I did wrong. Nothing appears in my smelter unless I have made the green iron glass (aka Green glass, not green glass) bars. I put the matgloss stuff in a matgloss file, and the reactions in one of my reactions files. Hmm.

Noone else has seen this?

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 08:36:37 pm »

I can't imagine what I did wrong. Nothing appears in my smelter unless I have made the green iron glass (aka Green glass, not green glass) bars. I put the matgloss stuff in a matgloss file, and the reactions in one of my reactions files. Hmm.

Noone else has seen this?

I'm not using ALL of the mod, just the beds, barrels and bins. What you need to make THEM are Green Glass Blocks, NOT bars. BLOCKS.

Read this line

[REAGENT:3:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]

So the supply chain goes like this.

Glass Furnace (Or Magma Glass Furnace) -> 'Make Green Glass Blocks' x3 -> Smelter (Or Magma Smelter) -> Make Green Glass Bed x1

Dragromblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 08:50:44 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=151
If you want you can look at what I did when I made my glass mod.
At least I still managed to find the download link, and it still works. I still have some things I was working on, but I had too much to do in real life, and then I lost my thread when the fourm changed.
Feel free to use what you want, as it will still be a few weeks more before I can continue working on it. Besides, I had used up most of my ideas, though now it looks like some new things can be done, like making food from a metal and back again.
All you have to do is look in the readme and follow the instructions.
Unforchently alot of the nice fluff info and what it adds was lost with the thread, but I hope to be able to reconstruct it when I get back to working on it.
anyways a quick and dirty version of it is-
Glass Beds- build beds priced for lowly laborers or for upity nobles.
Glass Metals- infuse you metals with glass to change the qualities of the weapon, like green glass will slightly weaken the metal, but clear glass will increase it slightly and crystal glass will increase it more.
Colored Glass- Different colored glass, mostly for asthetics, but plays a role in magic weapons and armor.
Magic Weapons and Armor- Difficult to get, as it requires an item only avalible from merchants, and is exspencive.
Glass Bins and Barrels- the type of glass is what determines what the value and color of the bins or barrels are.
A Few Gem/Glass Beds- Pamper your dwarves even more by adding some gems to your bed. Only a few supported now, to reduce clutter and see just how it would work out.

You can also make green glass logs, and use them just like logs.
Also you can use the strengthen glass just like a normal metal.
You can even make green glass stones, and use them just like normal stones.
To make it even more usefull, you can change it into thread, which will act just like normal thread.

To strengthen the glass, you need 2 large glass gems. You now have a use for the prevously useless large gems.
To make the colored glass you need metal dye, which is made from a single large gem. This was done to reduce clutter if you didn't want to make colored glass at the time, but still wanted to make them later.
To make the bins and barrels, you need to make sealer, which is made just as easily as metal dye, and done with the same purpose in mind.
To make magic items you need magic catalyst, which can only be purchased from traders. This was done to make magic at least somewhat harder to get in dwarf fortress, and keep it somewhat rarer. If you don't want magic in your fortress, don't purchase magic catalyst and the options will never appear. If you change your mind later, you won't have to create a new world, just start purchasing magic catalyst and start having fun with it.

Warning, these beds do require pig tails or rope reeds for the lesser quality beds and giant cave spider silk for the higher quality beds. It doesn't make sence to have beds without sheets or pillows.
I just wish these could be made in the approprate buildings, but at the moment the all require the furnace.

Have fun exploreing everything that is in it. Please post any comments or suggestions. I will eventually get around to adding more. If you have any questions please ask, and remember to give any elves a warm greeting whenever they enter your fortress. Make it so warm that they won't want to leave... ever.

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000642">Glass Bed Mod, perfect for those desert maps where wood can be difficult to get.
Glass goodies abound, so now you can download my Glass Mod to get a complete co

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 09:27:30 am »

To: Sinerjistic:

No, what I'm saying is that /blocks don't work/.

In the mod, if you read the raws, you can make them out of blocks, or make the 'metal glass' bars, from combining iron and glass into bars in the smelter.

I can combine iron and glass into bars and make beds that way. I CANNOT, however, make green glass beds out of green glass blocks. In fact, despite having 60 green glass blocks, //nothing// new appears in my magma smelter. All thats there is 'melt down metal' and 'smelt hematite ore'.

I don't know if they'd show up in the regular smelter, I have no coal, and don't really feel like trying to obtain some, it shouldn't matter anyways.

Also, 'green glass beds' don't appear anywhere in the job/manager screen, though other things with the mod (mostly stuff relating to the metal glass it includes) do. Neither do green glass bins/etc appear. Green glass blocks show up on it /twice/ once is called "green glass blocks" (the 'vanilla DF blocks' and the other are 'Green glass blocks' which seem to be metal blocks; I havn't been able to make them.

For now, I'll t ry out Dragromblue's mod, until I can get this one working. Though I must admit, the process of  needing the (relatively rare) large gems to make beds scares me.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:56:47 am by lastofthelight »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 10:03:04 am »

Bah, if your going to make everything out of glass as least use clear glass. Green glass is to cheap :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 10:15:31 am »

I like the color green. Plus, I want a thousand blocks or so for a megaproject, so.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 11:27:40 am »

I like the color green. Plus, I want a thousand blocks or so for a megaproject, so.

so cut down a thousand trees :) that will please the elves and you establish two goals at once.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 [2] 3