Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Glass Fort  (Read 11081 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Glass Fort
« on: November 23, 2008, 11:29:04 am »

Using various glass-based reactions from the forums, plus a few creations of my own, you can do just about everything with glass now:  Make it into beds, bins, barrels, mechanisms!  Use it in place of hard-to-find flux!  And even fuse it with various metals to create powerful new tempered glass materials and the rare and valuable glass-adamant material, which can be used to make weapons, armor, and other metal crafts!  The matgloss and reaction additions, just for you:

Reactions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Matgloss Metals:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NOTE:  For those of you too lazy to read the reactions before you plug them in, most of the reactions use blocks, except for the -adamant metals, which use raw [whatever] glass.  The reason for this is that most of the others are melting and shaping blocks of glass, whereas the making of the adamants involves threading raw glass crystal through the adamantine thread to create a single wafer.  Do remember this if you're planning to make crystal adamant so you don't accidentally make blocks, which will be useless for crystal-adamant wafers.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 12:02:37 pm by Thuellai »
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Glass Fort
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:44:22 am »

Well, transforming 3 blocks of glass to a single bin (assuming you're on normal map with no magma) takes (3 glass + 1 fuel) = 4 resource units (to make  1 bin...) which I consider somewhat wasteful.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 11:48:43 am »

Most people who make glass use magma, I assume, so it was mostly a way to create a time investment to balance out the fact that you no longer need wood and that sand is, effectively, infinite.  I suppose 3 might be a bit much, but otherwise you can pump out glass bins somewhat ludicrously when there's magma nearby.  I suppose I could move it down to 2.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

~LegacyCWAL

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 11:49:44 am »

2 is ok for me. I've always thought that a bin should take less material than a bed (if it wasn't hammock) :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 11:50:40 am »

Should be an easy enough fix, then.  I just wanted to make it a bit more difficult to pump out infinite amounts of bins, beds, and barrels.

EDIT:  Bins and barrels now take 2 glass blocks.  Beds are left untouched due to their extreme value (since otherwise, you either need wood or a mood and some serious luck.)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:52:24 am by Thuellai »

~LegacyCWAL

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 11:59:42 am »

By the way, I am a bit lazy now to check my downloads list, but is it you who made the "glass beds" mod a few moths ago?

I used it alot and wanted to say thanks to it's author. I've just kept forgetting to do so :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 12:03:35 pm »

No, he was just the inspiration for all this, and in some cases I've borrowed some of his reactions - I too would like to thank that guy.  Also, I made another adjustment - the adamant materials now have [DEEP], as they were showing up on embark and causing issues.

~LegacyCWAL

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:21:53 am »

Thanks for finally giving me a reason to make glass
And (because of various programming quirks) dwarves are kinda stupid. Granted, so are the other races. But still.
And yet these stupid dwarves are going to eventually make a nuclear weapon out of cheese and basalt.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 04:48:24 am »

Thanks for finally giving me a reason to make glass

That's why I did it!  Also because I'm addicted to green glass.

~LegacyCWAL

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 06:10:16 am »

Although I suggest you add some glass/glass alloys, maybe some different types of glass (you add from there) more glass colors (Blue glass made from cobaltite and clear glass, etc.)
And (because of various programming quirks) dwarves are kinda stupid. Granted, so are the other races. But still.
And yet these stupid dwarves are going to eventually make a nuclear weapon out of cheese and basalt.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 08:08:58 pm »

Although I suggest you add some glass/glass alloys, maybe some different types of glass (you add from there) more glass colors (Blue glass made from cobaltite and clear glass, etc.)

The new glass colors are part of the planned expansion of this, but I'm waiting until we can imply a glass tag or edit the reactions of the glass forge, because making a fully-functioning blue glass is impossible right now, since sandbags can't be used as a reagent.  I'm planning to expand this in every direction, eventually, but some stuff is limited right now by what is and isn't modifiable.

~LegacyCWAL

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 02:54:13 am »

Except sand isnt needed in the reaction I cited because when blue glass is normally made they mix cobalt with clear glass (Wiki said glass with potash) to make blue glass.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 03:27:04 am »

Then you hit the other problem - there's no [GLASS] tag.  You can't define glasses.  It'd be a gem at best, and even if it was, I'd need a ridiculous number of reactions to be able to do all the things with it a glass can do.

~LegacyCWAL

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 08:28:04 am »

making beds and barrels out of glass ok... but pig iron and steel sounds like cheating :p
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 07:09:36 pm »

Glass was historically used as a flux material in the process of steelmaking, Rhenaya.  It was the subject of another discussion here in this very section of the forum.

~LegacyCWAL
Pages: [1] 2 3