Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves not putting food in containers  (Read 1258 times)

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
Dwarves not putting food in containers
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:47:44 am »

My Dwarves aren't putting food in barrels, they're just leaving it on the floor of the food stockpile. And there are plenty of barrels available, sitting only in the next room.  ???

Edited because I didn't want to make another topic.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 12:47:55 pm by Mashirafen »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get Dwaves to spar
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 07:54:49 am »

It sounds like you're mixing up activation and duty.  Activation changes a civilian to a soldier.  Duty can be toggled on and off on a soldier squad.  If they're labeled as peasants, they are civilians, and you need to activate the squad with 'a' in the military screen.  This should change them to recruits, then you can press 'v' on the squad to set them on/off duty.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:25:23 am »

i have a related question, i can't get my sole marksdwarf to shoot at the archery target i've set up. its marked as an archery range, and i have the correct orientation, so i don't see why my marksdwarf won't do anything with it.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 10:13:04 am »

i have a related question, i can't get my sole marksdwarf to shoot at the archery target i've set up. its marked as an archery range, and i have the correct orientation, so i don't see why my marksdwarf won't do anything with it.

It could be the wrong size, or it could be that you only have metal bolts, or it could be that he's holding an item in his off hand.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 10:18:31 am »

It sounds like you're mixing up activation and duty.  Activation changes a civilian to a soldier.  Duty can be toggled on and off on a soldier squad.  If they're labeled as peasants, they are civilians, and you need to activate the squad with 'a' in the military screen.  This should change them to recruits, then you can press 'v' on the squad to set them on/off duty.

When I activate the squad they disappear off the military screen.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 10:31:33 am »

When I activate the squad they disappear off the military screen.

They move up to the top. If they really disappear, you have bigger problems than not sparing.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 10:55:20 am »

Oh god, you're right, they do move to the top and I just didn't notice. I knew it was stupidity on my part.  :D

Thanks.

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not putting food in containers
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 12:47:33 pm »

New problem: See original post.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 01:08:24 pm »

'q' over the stockpile and make sure its Barrels setting is at max.  Note that this is NOT the same as setting up the stockpile to accept barrels

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 01:23:32 pm »

It's set to hold up to 220 barrels. I don't even have that many barrels.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 01:26:50 pm »

Oh.  Are they prepared meals?  Food in stacks bigger than 10 can't fit inside barrels, and prepared meals tend to produce very large stacks of food.  Don't worry, if it's in the stockpile it won't rot.

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 01:54:39 pm »

Ah, okay. I was just about to post here saying it was all prepared meals to see if that had anything to do with it.

Thanks. ;)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 01:58:54 pm »

Oh.  Are they prepared meals?  Food in stacks bigger than 10 can't fit inside barrels, and prepared meals tend to produce very large stacks of food.  Don't worry, if it's in the stockpile it won't rot.
Ooops. I didn't even know THAT one.

Soooo.... is it beneficial to store prepared meals that way? I mean... assume your kitchen spits out stacks of 2... or maybe 5.. (i assume its cook-skill-dependant, yes?) would a single tile be able to hold more food then, because it could fit into that barrel?
(wow, I just realized I could just ask "And how many single-"stack" prepared meals normally fit into a barrel?")

If not, is there a way to maximize efficiency by cooking certain quality grades of meals because the different grades have a higher chance of spawning a certain stack count?
(like... a perfect cook makes stacks of 15 easy but 5 lavish meals)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

The stack size of the meal is just the stack sizes of all the ingredient stacks added together.  Doesn't depend on anything else.  Lavish uses the most ingredients, so it produces the biggest stacks.  You can get 30+ meals in a single tile sometimes.

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 02:42:21 pm »

The stack size of the meal is just the stack sizes of all the ingredient stacks added together.  Doesn't depend on anything else.  Lavish uses the most ingredients, so it produces the biggest stacks.  You can get 30+ meals in a single tile sometimes.

If you cook Lavish meals with high-stacking things like Dwarven Syrup and Booze, you can get up to around 80 (I think 100 max) meals in a single stack.

20 Dwarven Wine + 20 Dwarven Ale + Longland Beer + 20 Dwarven Syrup = [80] Dwarven Wine Roast
Pages: [1] 2