Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tantrums  (Read 428 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tantrums
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:17:54 am »

during a siege, while raising a bridge, a guard and a marksdwarf decided to cross it. they died by goblins.

unluckly, that guard must have had a lot of friends, and tantrums started. not many, but after some time some people died/went insane, mostly in the fortress guard. other people threw tantrums, and now 10 or more people died i think. i have 190 dwarves left in the fortress, most of them content or just unhappy, but there are still some miserable/tantruming dwarves. i recently got a berserk too.they are not many, but i am still worried. i have a statue garden with a masterpiece native gold statue, but i don't have a legendary dining room. in fact, i don't have a dining room at all, and i have to wait a couple of years to get the wood i need to build it. maybe i oculd us the future king dining room, but i still don't have the wood to build all the tables and chair, and i am not going to use rock ones.

when will i know if my fort is safe or doomed? only otehr time i had tantrums, was in a fortress when, while i was busy to make a well for wounded dwarves, i forgot to brew, and they all went insane after the first death. but that was fast and violent.
what are my chances to live here?

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tantrums
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 07:28:43 am »

your only problem will be to prevent further deaths thus heading of a tantrum spiral also burying the dwarves in coffins instead of leaving them to rot will remove a second negative thought from occurring. Good booze will generate happy thoughts enough to make them get over the death of their friends

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 07:35:28 am »

unluckly, the last 2 are already being done (but there are few barrels, so many have to drink water sometimes :( ).
about avoiding further deaths... that is the problem: how? i need ways to make them happy again or at least don't let the unhappy ones make other dwarves unhappy

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 10:14:41 am »

You totally don't need wood to get a legendary dining room.

Also, i've never had a full-blown tantrum spiral before. Not even when i turned the cats into fish.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 11:04:58 am »

sorry, i should have explained better: the fort i am playing i an baoveground fort where all my dwarves live in a limestone block tower with wooden floor.
the floor for the dining room is ready, but there is no roof yet, and i have to wait for trees to grow again (i need a bit less than 1000 logs)

but problem is solved now. a couple people went insane, but all the otehrs are happy. maybe the gold statue that i put near my 5 tables (still the ones i used at the beginning)helped, or maybe partyes finally made dwarves happy. or they just forgot the old bad thoughts.
the bad thing is that one of the people who went insane was the clerk, one of the starting 7. and there are several more people who are just waiting to die for thirst and hunger. i can only hope that it won't strat new tantrums.

edit: since i am here, i saw a cave swallow(vermin) in the air. do they spawn everywhere? i htink so, since i am on plains, no mountains nearby.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 03:37:21 pm »

Needs more of this:

(Legendary dining rooms.)
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 03:47:02 pm »

in a couple of years, i'll gather the wood i need to build one.
what i am most worried about, is my mayor. after a couple of the insanes died, he went miserable! at the moment he is chained... i tryed to help him by putting a masterpiece gold statue and osme items to throw during tantrums near him.

and i also put a masterpiece gold statue in his private dining room. not royal, but it is grand. not bad for a 3x2.
i am going to put one also in the bedroom.
there is a child that still tantrums.
also, there are a butcher and a guard who iwll never go out of their beds again (one has broken lower spine, one has a mangled lower spine), several people have mangled /broken body parts.
but it seem that my fortress will survive. when i'll feel safer, i'll destroy the statue garden and i'll start working at the king rooms