Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: underwater  (Read 1353 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
underwater
« on: November 23, 2008, 01:28:20 am »

i was just reading about someone flooding the entire valley with an aquifer so i got to thinking "what if we could use scuba suits to travel under water"

go into the ocean, maybe an entirly new race...and build an undwerwater fort without draining 5 billion tons of water and unsuspending 5000 times

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: underwater
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:11:58 am »

I think it would be beyond the dwarves' technology level. Something like the standard diving dress would be more characterful, even if it's still far beyond what the dwarves can build.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:17:14 am »

Leonardo from Vinci invented something similar. maybe dwarves could use that?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 07:02:06 am »

hmmm, Lolor Dwarvinci?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 07:22:10 am »

a dwarf like that would make the awesomest fortress ever! wooden tanks, parachutes, a couple of flying things, masterpiece engraving and decorations...

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:16:24 am »

I wonder, why is it so difficult to keep fantasy games from replicating daily life?
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 08:29:50 am »

Oh noes....not scuba gears again.. ::)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 10:19:29 am »

better then a magic bubble

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 12:29:11 pm »

Hmm, has anyone ever tried making a dwarven submarine?  Say, make a enclosed room or set of rooms out of obsidian over the top of a lake or river or ocean or such, suspended from above by some attachment.  Since natural walls remain intact on falling, you could then cut the top support, and drop it down into the water. :)  In order to do it with dwarves inside though you may have to make the top layer of obsidian with them already inside, so there's no constructed gaps that could break and allow water to get in.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 12:35:22 pm »

I think my next mega project should be to drain an ocean and fill it with magma.  I would use the completely dwarven method of capturing 20 goblin lashers and having 500 dwarves operating pumps continuously while the lashers "encouraged" them.

We don't need no stinking scuba suits, we have magma.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 12:36:11 pm »

How about Dwarves use Diving Bells?

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 02:21:31 pm »

Since natural walls remain intact on falling, you could then cut the top support, and drop it down into the water. :)
Unfortunately dwarves don't remain intact on falling, so I don't think it would work.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 03:35:46 pm »

maybe an entirly new race...and build an undwerwater fort

Sorta off-topic but...
Hm...actually an underwater race would be nice to have in the vanilla game even. Dominions 3. anyone?  ;)
It would be fun...you settle down near a lake, and after 5 minutes of playing you notice as a smaller army of underwater monsters are heading towards the main gate of your fortress. This would mean endless number of sieges however...since dwarves cannot go underwater at the moment [..and they shouldn't! they are dwarves afterall  ;D]...possible solution: get rid of the water what is protecting the nasty beasts / seal off the area.  :D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 03:41:33 pm by Tormy »

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 03:49:01 pm »

You could just build a platform out above their fort and then collapse it.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 08:02:59 am »

well i have already embarked pn a journy to flood my whole map.....all it takes is to build a giant wall around your map perimeter and have no way for your water to dissapear....then flood it with a pump set that utilizes an underwater river, and voila...also it could work with magma......but i havent found any accesible magma areas on my maps yet....still trying to generate that perfect one.....sadly i also have no freezing areas........
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.
Pages: [1] 2