Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magic trees.  (Read 1409 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magic trees.
« on: November 23, 2008, 01:01:39 am »

All those discussions of magic got me thinking about another angle.  The elves have named trees in their glades.  I think these trees should have magic themselves.  Possibly they could actually be sentient (although there's no way to communicate with them unless you have magic yourself?  Or unless you're an elf?  Or both?)  There could be other magic trees and plants along the same line in the wild, especially twisted ones in evil areas.

They could provide subtle bonuses and protection against hostile magic to the area around them; maybe they could ward off vermin or the like.  Crops would grow better.  They could possibly do more flashy things, too -- attack with their branches, bring lesser trees to life to fight, prevent water from freezing over in the winter, etc.  The powers could depend on the type of trees (evergreens and other trees from the cold north might have the power to make water freeze, say.  Magical trees might be able to impose their natural environment on the area around them, or do it automatically, so a sapling of a good-aligned tree might cure a tainted evil area, or vice-versa.)

Offerings could be made to them.  Rare soils?  Fine wines poured around their roots?  More evil (less elven) trees from evil lands could want blood and decaying corpses.

The elves could offer saplings of their trees to particularly favored allies.  If anything happened to those saplings, it would be BAD for relations with the elves, of course.

If you can communicate with them, they might be able to give you news from far-off areas, by whispering with other trees.  Perhaps if there's nobody nearby who can communicate with them, they could choose a child who is born after they've been planted, and grant them the ability to speak to sacred trees.  These trees could come to be worshiped as deities, even.

Just some idle thoughts.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Magic trees.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 07:27:21 pm »

The idea of embarking on an elf retreat, chopping down the sentient named magic trees, then using them to make beds and tables and soap (from ash) is very appealing to me, thus this thread gets two thumbs up.

Double points if my new soap block road prevents water from freezing or wards off vermin or whatever the tree did before I chopped it down.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:42:28 pm »

techi muyo?
The great game of Warlocks!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 01:14:12 am »

I support these idea. I mean, they're pretty cool; I'd love to have some elves give me saplings. It would give me an excuse for an underground garden with a skylight.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 04:13:05 am »

The idea of embarking on an elf retreat, chopping down the sentient named magic trees, then using them to make beds and tables and soap (from ash) is very appealing to me, thus this thread gets two thumbs up.

Double points if my new soap block road prevents water from freezing or wards off vermin or whatever the tree did before I chopped it down.
I mentioned in another thread the idea of those named elven trees being valuable to spellcasters of other races, who would cut them down and use their wood to make magic wands (or whatever), or use their ashes for their form of spellcasting, or things like that.  They could be exploited as magical power-sources.  Lots of room for conflict there.

But I think it would probably make sense for it to require magical skill or some form of special craft to draw those powers out.  Just taking a chunk of magic tree and getting its powers automatically strikes me as not interesting enough.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 06:51:40 am »

Am I the only one to have first thought of Ents or Trents AND Lord Of The Rings???

Day One:
Dear Journal.....

went walking in the woods today, and had a great time...i plan on inviting that hot dwarf who visits me in the archery range for a special "romp" through the leaves....
       sincerely Urist McUrist

Day Two:
Dear Journal.....

took the female out today,we had a GREAT time....well.....untill she was ripped limb from limb by a passing tree person after she gave birth to a kid while being pregnant for three seconds....shit happens i guess.....maybe i will invite my nagging stepmom to "discuss" why she doesnt like me......i wonder if i could find the tree person again....
       sincerely Urist McUrist"

or something along those lines?
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:11:03 am »

Apparently in the 2D version, treants were trees animated by attacking elven druids.

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:20:51 am »

magic tree ability that is a must:

Increased fertility........
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 08:45:47 am »

They could provide subtle bonuses and protection against hostile magic to the area around them; maybe they could ward off vermin or the like.  Crops would grow better.  They could possibly do more flashy things, too -- attack with their branches, bring lesser trees to life to fight, prevent water from freezing over in the winter, etc. 

Well, since Elves are hardcore nature freaks, this makes sense indeed. Good ideas. Perhaps they should worship the oldest magical tree in fact.  :)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 09:23:53 am »

That should definitely be there.  Imagine if history began counting off before civilizations started appearing.  The first forest tile to appear could contain a huge multi-tile tree, with an elven metropolis covering the world map tiles around it.

If it's destroyed somehow, the elves immediately make an exodus to new lands, or perhaps their heads explode.
Shoes...

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 09:31:38 am »

The less flashy abilities are attractive; we can count on the players to mod in trees with pomegrenades.

Cutting the tree with the magic aura should be something akin to butchering the goose with the golden eggs.

What should be done first, though, is trees with realistic height and width..
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 09:36:58 am »

I would love to see some kind of multi-tile jumbo tree for elven retreats, if naught else.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

ogion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 03:27:59 pm »

NO! You're just wrong! A magic tree: A tree who grabs the woodcutters axe and then splits him from head to heel with it for trying to cut it down....
Sy wut?! Me ranger is fishing in the well??? He better not catch anything...

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 04:06:21 pm »

I would love to see some kind of multi-tile jumbo tree for elven retreats, if naught else.

This.

The centers of Elven Civs should gargantuan trees (I'm talking 30x30x15) with buildings contructed in knotholes and on branches and stuff.

That would be a cool destination in adventure mode.
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 05:31:18 pm »

Is anyone else thinking of Rincewind's Luggage?
Sapient pear wood is awesome.  On that note, Terry Pratchett is awesome.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2