Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Emergency mode  (Read 870 times)

Birdy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Emergency mode
« on: November 22, 2008, 09:54:30 pm »

Hello,

I've been playing Dwarf fortress for some time now, and have learned that Siege weapons aren't too good.

Every time I tell my Dwarves to man the gunnery, they rush over and man it, But as soon as the orcs come over the hill, they flee.

I'm Suggesting a way to tell your Dwarves to ignore enemies, Like a bell be struck, and everyone pulls their socks up to man those guns.

Also, I have another Suggestion, A sporting station.

You could have dwarves enter an Arena/Field and play sports to get faster, stronger or tougher, depending on the Sport.

Toodles, and my best regards to your awesome game.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency mode
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:05:52 pm »

The hunting labor disables fear. Technically you should be able to kill the wild critters with your troops until they stop respawning completely and then assign the hunting labor and associated armor to the operators to avoid them fleeing. They'd have to be locked in with the ballistae or they'll charge the enemy

Birdy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 10:17:52 pm »

Ah, but you see?

This is why I have suggested this, so you don't have to make them hunters, what if they're hunting while a siege happens, and get hacked to pieces?

I think an Alarm would be much better, or just an option, like the ones under the broker.

You select what you want your Dwarves to do (Like be fearless), and they do it.

and maybe It could depend on their personality if they accomplish this, If you have wimpy dwarves, then they are still scared, but if they're tough, they don't.

which brings up another Suggestion, Why not have negative effects? like say how Dwarves can be Tough/Agile/Strong?  Why not have them oppisite of those, some could be weak, others could be slow.. etc.

Or, If not for Dwarves (Because they're Dwarves I mean how many whimpy dwarves do you see? have it for Humans, Elves, Goblins, and Kobolds.)

I do realize that it is one guy making this Entire game, but these are just suggestions, just think about it, I'm not demanding, just suggesting.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 10:22:22 pm »

Ah, but you see?

This is why I have suggested this, so you don't have to make them hunters, what if they're hunting while a siege happens, and get hacked to pieces?

I think an Alarm would be much better, or just an option, like the ones under the broker.

You select what you want your Dwarves to do (Like be fearless), and they do it.

and maybe It could depend on their personality if they accomplish this, If you have wimpy dwarves, then they are still scared, but if they're tough, they don't.

which brings up another Suggestion, Why not have negative effects? like say how Dwarves can be Tough/Agile/Strong?  Why not have them oppisite of those, some could be weak, others could be slow.. etc.

Or, If not for Dwarves (Because they're Dwarves I mean how many whimpy dwarves do you see? have it for Humans, Elves, Goblins, and Kobolds.)

I do realize that it is one guy making this Entire game, but these are just suggestions, just think about it, I'm not demanding, just suggesting.
Do you know HOW MANY ALARM SUGGESTIONS THERE ARE?

TOO MANY, shut up, read some of the others, and support them, and don't spam.
We need no more spammed subjects here!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 01:21:00 am »

Much simpler:  How about having it so the siege engineer job prevents you from fleeing if you're currently manning or are on your way to man a siege engine?

It seems, um, straightforward enough.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 01:30:06 am »

what we need is a better way for dwarves to distinguish when they are in imminent danger,
and what to do

alarms really shouldn't be necessary for most small groups, and might even make the situation
_worse_ if the invaders could listen too