Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Cthulhu has been struck down again.  (Read 8598 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Cthulhu has been struck down again.
« on: June 05, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition is on Gametap for free.

There is no more that needs to be said here.

Shoes...

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu has been struck down again.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

I just know there's something evil or infuriating about Gametap. Can I still play the games when I'm not connected to the internet? Can I only play the game through their software? How intrusive are the ads?
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »

Not sure.

No.

Depends on what you mean by intrusive.  Every time you open a game, it plays a fifteen second or so ad for Conflict: Denied Ops

Of course, for those ads you get some truly awesome games:  X2, Thief 3, Deus Ex, Second Sight, Rogue Trooper(This one came out of nowhere for me, it's the exact opposite of how you'd think it would be.  It looks terrible, but once you play it you realize it's awesome), Psychonauts, Tomb Raider Legend, Hitman 1 and 2, Daikatana(loljk, it's there, but it sucks), and Bloodrayne(Which is surprisingly fun).  There are even more good games if you pay for it.

Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

I'd rather actually buy games that are good, such as the Thief series, which is one of the.. few.. high quality games they have.

Gametap is like the Steam of low-end games.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

When it comes to computer games, I take what I get.
Shoes...

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »

Deus Ex is an awesome game, and I usually detest FPS stuff (played too many). Too bad the followup was such utter crap. Great storyline and RPG goodness in the original though.

I see they have X2 up there for free, too. That was an interesting game. For awhile. How do they manage this legally? Advertising? Guess I should just Google and find out.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 03:08:00 am »

Well, it's not "free" per se since you have to subscribe.  Probably just as well, or I'd not be seen for a few days.

EDIT:  Belay that.  I wasn't looking at GOTY edition.

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: McDoomhammer ]

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 04:31:00 am »

Update:  I can confirm that it requires active broadband to play the game.  Also, DE seems glitchy to the point of unplayability at the moment, but that's probably more me than anything.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

I'm playing it fine, the only problem is the dialog is a bit glitchy.  As long as you have subtitles on it's fine.
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 08:51:00 am »

Two days, so I think I can legitimately double-post.

Anyone who's played Deus Ex, I'm having trouble finding the merits of tranquilizer darts for the mini-crossbow.  It always takes at least five seconds to knock them out, if it knocks them out at all.  Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong or if they're just that lame?

Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 10:04:00 am »

You're not doing it wrong, they just do take time.  Good for picking off isolated guards at a safe distance, and if you can't be bothered to make the headshot.  Also silent.  Not good if they have a chance to sound the alarm.  On balance, probably not worth it unless you really want non-lethal force.

Mine is going okay, now.  I still get some issues- the dialog is slightly choppy, and occasionally it will become erratic and stop displaying menus/chunks of scenery.  This seems to be fixable by minimising with alt-tab and.  And sometimes it will start running (smoothly) in either slo-mo or double speed for no reason I can ascertain- these require restarting the game.

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: McDoomhammer ]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 10:13:00 am »

I've only had the choppy dialog thing.
Shoes...

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

Tranq darts are excellent when combined with headshots on guards.  However, it's better to just go with the standard darts.

On that note, Deus Ex is one of the best games EVER made.  It ranks in my top 5 with System Shock 2, the Civilization series, the Space Empires series, and Xenogears (for PS1).

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

The game would be absolutly wonderful... except it's as buggy as hell.

When I move, there will be times where I will continue walking foreward, right into what I am not supposed to walk into. I never finished the tutorial, because at the part where you have to crouch under pipes and jump across platfroms, holding down two keys at once starts this continual movement. Not only that, but I would have to really push keys to get them to work.

Thus, I'm not happy with Gametap.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 03:03:00 am »

Deus Ex is one of those things that you really need the original version for.  A content-managed or DRM-managed version is always going to be less stable than the original game.

Gametap does have a disturbingly impressive lineup of free games, though.  I actually feel halfway comfortable with it, unlike Steam.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5