Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Cthulhu has been struck down again.  (Read 8596 times)

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu has been struck down again.
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 08:50:13 pm »

I think their was a fourth possible ending, if you saved a particular person earlier on.  Woo.
(To be fair, DX1 had, so far as I know, three endings... all of which you could get depending on your choices in the end.  But you could affect the way things came out thoughout the story in myriad ways.

Most notably for me,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  Genius.

DX1 had rudimentary mirrors.

You forgot the skill system.  A cool and functional part of DX1.  Completely left out for no good reason.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 10:49:03 pm »

I think they felt that it would make things too complex for console players...

In DX2 you can either choose the side of the crazy anti implant loonies, the Illuminati, or JC Denton.  Nothing you can do prevents you from gaining these endings.  There's also the ending for those cyborg guys you can get if you help out your friend from the school.  The guy, I can't remember his name.  Basically, everyone dies except for a few people, but because those survivors are uber leet cyborgs, and because they completely destroyed the earth's environment they colonize other planets.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 09:48:40 am »

Two days, so I think I can legitimately double-post.<P>Anyone who's played Deus Ex, I'm having trouble finding the merits of tranquilizer darts for the mini-crossbow.  It always takes at least five seconds to knock them out, if it knocks them out at all.  Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong or if they're just that lame?
The game has many rewards for killing as few people as possible (at least at first, I think). Sometimes you just can't reach someone and I guess the crossbow is nice to have at those times. But yeah other than that it's a crappy weapon and useless in the later stages, and sometimes it's just easier to electrocute someone or just beat the crap out of him with a baton.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 11:12:10 am »

The tranq darts, if I recall correctly, caused poison damage over time for a short time. If he lost all his HP, he would die, but tranq damage wouldn't actually cause death, it would just knock him out. No clue how the game programmed it though, whether it was just a check on death to see what type of damage killed him, or what.

But my strategy was to fire three darts at a target, so the three hits would pour poison damage into him super fast. He wouldn't get a chance to run more than a step or two, or make any noise.

Also, as I recall, if you didn't kill anyone on the first mission you'd get bonus something ... they used money, didn't they? I remember hacking ATMs all over the place. And in later missions there were reasons to not kill people, also.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 11:53:08 am »

Hitting them in the head seems to drastically improve your results with the crossbow - A headshot from short range will make them drop instantly. Long range seems to lower the initial damage and they'll take a few steps before they drop.

This game has the most replayability value of any other game I've played... I haven't even finished it and I want to replay it with different choices.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 10:59:32 pm »

Also, as I recall, if you didn't kill anyone on the first mission you'd get bonus something ... they used money, didn't they? I remember hacking ATMs all over the place. And in later missions there were reasons to not kill people, also.
The weapon clerk dude in the police station would give you extra ammo or something, for not killing the people in the castle for example (or taking too long and letting the cyborg woman do it). After that, probably no more incentive not to kill.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2008, 01:04:14 am »

Also, knocking people out instead of killing them makes no real difference.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 11:57:43 am »

Except that when his wife wakes up in the morning, she isn't lying in an empty bed. And she doesn't get a knock on her door while she's frying bacon, to hear the news that her husband was killed by some government agency killer cyborg, and drop the pan on the linoleum. But because the pan's so hot, it picks up a patch of linoluem and splatters kitchen grease all of the place. But she doesn't care, because you just couldn't use the damn tranq darts!

You had to pick the rocket launcher right in the beginning!

You don't even have any rockets!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 03:40:54 pm »

She's gonna wake up alone anyway.  The guys you're fighting are terrorists.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 03:43:01 pm »

Are you saying terrorists can't love?

For your information, she was in a car accident, and is paralyzed from the neck down.  The terrorist you killed was going to retire early and take care of her full time.  Then you killed him.
Shoes...

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 04:30:22 pm »

For your information, she was in a car accident, and is paralyzed from the neck down.  The terrorist you killed was going to retire early and take care of her full time.  Then you killed him.

Well, maybe he should of thought about all that before GETTING IN MY WAY.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 04:32:09 pm »

No, I'm saying he isn't going to be released overnight. ::)

And yes, it doesn't matter whether you kill them or knock them out.  It has no effect on anything.  They still count as dead.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2008, 04:35:03 pm »

But you get more goodies.

Plus you effectively save bullets you'd otherwise use on them to attack something else. Although in such an easy level you're probably better of whacking them in melee and save the tranq darts too.

And maybe THAT guy wasn't a terrorist. Maybe he was a British secret agent infiltrating Liberty Island too, and he stole someone's clothes, and you snuck up on him while he was peeing.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 04:36:28 pm »

Or maybe he was three children standing on each others' shoulders in order to get candy from the NFS Free-Candy Booth, because they're all so friendly, and then you unloaded an Assault Rifle into them.
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008, 04:46:53 pm »

Or maybe he was actually seventeen ducks in a trench coat and hat. Endangered ducks.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5