Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin detection and interruption range. By sight or by psychism?  (Read 878 times)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com

I had prepared a gobbo pit but this raised a problem that dwarves no longer want to pit them, because as they approach the pit area, they see gobbos down below and flee.

So my idea is to prepare something that will conceal said goblins from view.  Thus dwarves shouldn't "see" the goblins at all and pass right by without a reaction.

But I don't exactly remember if it did work that way, or if dwarves would flee even if, say, the goblins were in a stone cube and no one could see inside.  Which way was it again?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin detection and interruption range. By sight or by psychism?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 02:06:37 pm »

I'm fairly certain it's a line-of-sight sort of thing. So a goblin in a stone cube is completely invisible to your dwarves.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 02:13:22 pm »

Excellent, that means I can work my plan into action:

From top to bottom

Level 1: Floor + hatch
Level 2: drawbridge #1
Level 3: drawbridge #2
Level 4: "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!..."  *splat!*

I place drawbridge #2 under the already constructed #1 and link it.  By retracting drawbridge #1, I can conceal the gobbos while I drop more into the pit.  Finally, the hatch, linked to a mechanism, serves to take away line of sight without having to purge anyone to drawbridge #2 right away.

Oh man, this is gonna be so awesome.  I have something like a dozen gobbos and 5 rhesus macaques that I'll be able to drop down the shaft for the great inauguration.  :D

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 07:29:21 pm »

It's line of sight, goblins behind walls will not interrupt.

Interesting fact: windows are actually transparent and provide line of sight - dwarves will be interrupted by creatures on the other side even if the creature has no way of getting to them. Glass walls don't do this (for now) though.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 10:48:32 pm »

If it was really line of sight, then why do creatures from an undiscovered cave river cause cancellations?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 04:49:37 pm »

If it was really line of sight, then why do creatures from an undiscovered cave river cause cancellations?

I've never had a creature from an undiscovered feature cause cancellations. And I've run many maps with cave rivers/chasms.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 04:56:37 pm »

If it's line of sight, being calculated for at least 30 dwarves without lag on my system, why is the Adventure one so horribly slow?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 11:37:03 pm »

I've never had a creature from an undiscovered feature cause cancellations. And I've run many maps with cave rivers/chasms.

Well I have.  ???
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 01:28:31 am »

If it's line of sight, being calculated for at least 30 dwarves without lag on my system, why is the Adventure one so horribly slow?

From what I can remember, Adventure mode does it differently...
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity