Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Age  (Read 1471 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How does the age tag work exactly? It has two values

Noticed goblins seem to be immortal like elves and that didn't seem right to me. In addition to making them live to say, 60, I thought about making them breed considerably faster and mature relatively quickly. How does tuning this work?

Kobolds way outlive humans too. Maybe it's all because they're magical but you'd think creatures that common and reckless would have shorter potential lifespan

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:33:45 pm »

Natural lifespan and actual average survivability are two very different things.
You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 01:33:55 pm »

The game picks a random number between the two [MAXAGE] numbers to determine when a creature will die of old age.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 01:34:17 pm »

I'm guessing the creature will die sometime between those two numbers (if it doesn't get shot before that, obviously).

You'd want something like [MAXAGE:50:70].

The number in [BABY:x] indicates when a baby becomes a child. The number in CHILD indicates when a child becomes an adult. To make them mature faster, reduce the number in CHILD. You can also remove the BABY tag if you want.

You can also make them breed faster by removing [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE].
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 03:15:31 pm »

So you can make a race of permanent babies who die of old age?
This is -ing good wood!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 03:16:42 pm »

I don't think anyone has tried that before.  Go for it!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 03:16:51 pm »

Theoretically if you've got like [MAXAGE:50:60] and [BABY:100] or something.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 09:43:10 pm »

Natural lifespan and actual average survivability are two very different things.

Yes but poor living conditions in themselves tend to shorten life. You wouldn't expect a cave dwelling race to live past 50, let alone 170

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 09:53:43 pm »

poor living conditions in themselves tend to shorten life. You wouldn't expect a cave dwelling race to live past 50, let alone 170
That's only if they operate on the same level as humans, which they obviously don't. I mean, they're an entirely different species. Giant tortoises don't have health care or permanent shelter or refrigerated food or sapient intelligence and they routinely live to be nearly 200.
They just don't work like we do.
You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 10:01:03 pm »

Or maybe they work more like us than we do...

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 01:17:00 am »

Noticed goblins seem to be immortal like elves and that didn't seem right to me...

Orcs/goblins in Middle Earth are immortal b/c they're just corrupted elves.  I assume that's the inspiration for Toady's goblins.  Not sure where he got the cannibal elves from though.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 02:16:22 am »

Noticed goblins seem to be immortal like elves and that didn't seem right to me...

Orcs/goblins in Middle Earth are immortal b/c they're just corrupted elves.  I assume that's the inspiration for Toady's goblins.  Not sure where he got the cannibal elves from though.

The goblins are supposedly inspired by the movie Labyrinth.  The elves might well be his own creation.  I remember hearing or reading an interview where Toady said he wanted to go out of his way to avoid obvious source material and tropes.

On the subject of MAXAGE, horses, donkeys, and mules are immortal, since they don't have it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 08:19:01 am »

The Cannibal Elves are the creation of Toady and Threetoe.  The first I heard of man-eating Elves was in a Threetoe story.
Just so I remember

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 08:21:56 am »

What happens if you set child # below baby #?

On the subject of MAXAGE, horses, donkeys, and mules are immortal, since they don't have it.

That's because they're used for trading. It'd be irritating to have caravans leave as their animals start dying

Animal lifespans are way low anyway. Cows dying of old age at 10? Ha
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 08:31:12 am by Pilsu »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 09:06:07 am »

Child countdown starts when the baby countdown is finished, so these 2 values don't depend on each other.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2