Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Few questions  (Read 549 times)

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Few questions
« on: November 22, 2008, 01:03:51 pm »

1) Do Giant Eagles have children?
2) Will tamed giant eagles, in large numbers, be very difficult to capture again once released?
3) Will Giant Eagles attack invaders?

4) When making obsidian - how much magma and water has to mix? If I have a pool of 7/7 magma, will I need 7/7 water dumped on it to make obsidian?

5) Is there a way to check on the value of a room without adding up everything in it one by one?
6) Any advice on leveling up weapon and armor smithing? Any one item seems to level up a dwarf very slowly, and I can only trade for so many metal bars. Only my masons and children seem to ever get strange moods...

Thanks!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:15:49 pm »

Yes, even the wild creatures will breed if there's one or more of each gender. Tamed ones probably behave like everything else, afraid of hostiles and spend time in the meeting zone. If you want to use them for war, you need to add the trainable tag. This doubles their damage though

Once goblins start pouring in, you can melt their armor into iron. Turn it into bolts to level up weaponsmithing. I remember people using bucklers for armorsmithing

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 02:48:38 pm »

4) When making obsidian - how much magma and water has to mix? If I have a pool of 7/7 magma, will I need 7/7 water dumped on it to make obsidian?

It's weird.  Technically, you only need 1/7 water and 1/7 magma to make obsidian, but in practice, 1/7 water that is dumped directly onto magma steams with no effect.  2/7 water next to 1/7 magma will create obsidian when the 2/7 water "flows" onto the magma square, but then you're left with a leftover 1/7 water square.

Since water tends to be much easier to come by in large quantities, I never pay attention to how much water I'm using.  You can make obsidian with as little as 1/7 magma, definitely.

5) Is there a way to check on the value of a room without adding up everything in it one by one?

'r' menu should do this.

6) Any advice on leveling up weapon and armor smithing? Any one item seems to level up a dwarf very slowly, and I can only trade for so many metal bars. Only my masons and children seem to ever get strange moods...

You can melt the stuff you make for 1/3 of the metal back, which helps stretch things a bit.  Other than that, you can take peasants, and have them make just enough weapons/armor so that it is their highest craft skill (shouldn't take too long).  If they get a fey/secretive mood, legendary weaponsmith or armorer.

You could also test crafting leather armor/wooden shields for armorer, or obsidian swords for weaponsmithing.  They might work.  I haven't test those, though.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 09:22:56 pm »

You could also test crafting leather armor/wooden shields for armorer, or obsidian swords for weaponsmithing.  They might work.  I haven't test those, though.

I haven't tried it either, but "smithing" would imply that you're making the item from metal. I'd wager that obsidian swords leveled stonecrafting or masonry, leather armor levelled leatherworking/crafting, and wooden shields levelled carpentry/woodcrafting.

But that's just my guess.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 10:59:15 pm »

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I've seen my tame polar bear army charge after kobolds and the like, though maybe am I not remembering that correctly. I HAD thought any creature which is aggressive against you in the game would be aggressive against enemies if you tamed them.

Also, when I go to the 'r' menu, I see nothing for room value. Pressing enter returns a black menu screen, and when I press 'tab' the side menu also has nothing in it. Is there supposed to be something in those windows? All other windows appear to work fine.

Thanks for the advice on melting goblin stuff and making obsidian.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 11:08:10 pm »

2) Will tamed giant eagles, in large numbers, be very difficult to capture again once released?
Tame animals tend to hang around your meeting halls, and you can just get somedwarf to chain them up.