Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining HFS.  (Read 1128 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mining HFS.
« on: November 22, 2008, 11:38:46 am »

If you tap the special metals near the death-pits, does it automatically start up the doom countdown? Or do you actually have to tap the hell pits for it to work?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Mining HFS.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 11:41:29 am »

Alas, the doom countdown of the 2D version is gone. Now it seems when you strike the pits, a horde of demons come out and that's it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:43:39 am »

Seriously?! So my embark-reclaim time plot diagram and all was for nought? The fears ungrounded, the anxiety disweaved? Oh thank the saints and the beards, Duke you're mah hero now.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:46:48 am »

When you get hit with a couple-dozen Spirits of Fire, be sure to eat those words.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 11:48:35 am »

Nah, I wasn't greedy. For a fort that hit 5 units of addy before they built they're first farm, those 5 units are more than enough.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 01:05:55 pm »

I bet the first tile you hit will reveal the pits  :P

What happens with HFS monsters when one reclaims anyway? The fort is filled with critters to my knowledge and any existing ones respawn, do demons pop back too?

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 01:17:01 pm »

As named creatures the demons just stay around until killed.  They don't respawn.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 01:20:28 pm »

Well, when you reclaim, the monsters just stay around.  When tentacle creature ate my fort, I went to reclaim it from them and had a hard fight to deal with.  Eventually won, but the few that remained were either too hurt to work, went insane, or both making any repair work impossible.  I eventually had to abandon and reclaim the fort AGAIN with a fresh group to get the place going again.  Good thing is that once the monsters were killed they didn't return.

Not 100% sure how the 'doom timer' worked, but if it's some delay between when the monsters are triggered and when they attack (with the game telling you about it) I would've been so grateful to have one.  As it was, the second the pit was opened and I saw what was inside I used that pause to try to desperately close the gap (what good it did).
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 01:32:49 pm »

Not 100% sure how the 'doom timer' worked.

It was pretty much "have you mined any adamantine? righty-ho I'll check my RNG... um, yep, you've lost"; at some point after mining adamantine the game ended Balrog style, no appeals.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 02:15:46 pm »

But it is indeed gone now, yes?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 02:22:08 pm »

But it is indeed gone now, yes?
Yep.  There is a chance that a mountain cave will spawn in a way that uncovers and even erodes some adamantine.  The timer. had to be removed.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 07:27:06 pm »

Not 100% sure how the 'doom timer' worked.

It was pretty much "have you mined any adamantine? righty-ho I'll check my RNG... um, yep, you've lost"; at some point after mining adamantine the game ended Balrog style, no appeals.

If I remember right, the game through out a random number from 1 to 100 once per season, and if your total mined squares of adamantine was higher then that you got the too deep message. So, if you only mined a small amount out you could often last a large number of years before you 'dug too deep'.

Unfortunately the game conspired against you. Adamantine used seperate skills to forge (unlike now) so you couldn't train a legendary weaponsmith on iron stuff and then expect him to churn out masterwork adamantine stuff. The king would also make digging mandates, forcing you to dig deeper and deeper till you hit the adamantine and once you hit it he would make adamantine mining mandates so you would have to keep mining it and thus eventually dig too deep.

I kind of miss 'too deeping' the fort, it provided an elegant and fitting way to end forts you were done with, rather then just abandoning them. Oh well.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 10:30:29 am »

Also, you couldn't just ignore the king's mandates, because they came with huge punishments for missing them, according to the wiki.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 05:59:21 pm »

Yes well keep in mind, this is the 3d, with no pits breached as of now. So don't stray very far away, lest ye hit the electric fence.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 08:49:30 pm »

so if caves can cut through adamite.....could something cut open a demon pit and let them loose on the world?