Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fill in space/dirt wall construction  (Read 5978 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Fill in space/dirt wall construction
« on: November 22, 2008, 08:45:03 am »

So i was just fantasizing about what we could do in DF in the far future when Toady implements a lot more stuff, like becoming a pirate captain as an adventurer and burying stolen loot on deserted islands and making treasure maps to hide in player made dungeons.

Then i realized, we can't bury things yet.

So i suggest that we get the option to fill in spaces with dirt, and also cover stone surfaces to allow farming if water is scarce. The dirt would be collected like sand is. Basically allow dirt 'floors' and 'walls' that just act like unmined dirt instead of constructions.

The 'walls' should only be 'buildable' from the level above so we can fill in pits and make dirt walls harder to make (since dirt is dirt cheap). Perhaps even dirt ramps/staircases could be 'buildable' as well. It should act like formed obsidian or ice to 'contain' items and creatures. Yes this means you could bury goblins and nobles alive. It should take 3 whole bags full of the same dirt to make a wall or floor though so it won't be too easy to make them.

Another application of the bags of dirt would be to disguise floor hatches as dirt floor. Collecting dirt would also open the way for clay being used to make ceramics (Yay, more use for the magma kiln!). Also you could put the dirt in a jar and gloat about it.  :P

Sand should still be usable since they're not just pouring the dirt on, they're packing it in too.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:48:43 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fill in space/dirt wall construction
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 08:56:12 am »

Would also let us dam rivers easier

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 09:01:02 am »

Would also let us dam rivers easier

YES. THIS.

Good gosh yes. How'd i miss that application?  :D

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 09:16:15 am »

Good tie-in with collecting bags of clay for pottery.

I don't know about 'building' dirt floors though.  That would mean you can't cover an already-constructed rock floor with dirt.  Perhaps you could use a dirt dumping zone, much like a pond zone, to mark an area you want covered with dirt.  Just like a pond, the dwarves would keep bringing bags of dirt until all the tiles are dirty.

Damming a river by pouring dirt into it from a small bag is a little ridiculous, though, and the concept of burying things kind of requires a "partially full" state like a fluid, although it wouldn't have to actually flow.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 09:20:28 am »

Damming a river by pouring dirt into it from a small bag is a little ridiculous, though, and the concept of burying things kind of requires a "partially full" state like a fluid, although it wouldn't have to actually flow.

Well that's why i suggested 3 bags being required. Maybe more would be better like 5 or 7. And it doesn't really need a 'partially full' state to work if it works like ice and obsidian, you just have to use all the bags anyways no matter how much junk is in the tile.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 09:29:53 am »

^^^ Yeah, but you'll have things like a goblin standing in an empty tile one instant, and the next instant buried alive.  At least ice and magma require SOME fluid in the tile.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 10:00:15 am »

^^^ Yeah, but you'll have things like a goblin standing in an empty tile one instant, and the next instant buried alive.  At least ice and magma require SOME fluid in the tile.

True dat. Well it's up to Toady to implement it, so if partial levels of dirt is the way to go, so be it. That would also be a way to limit the viability of damming rivers with dirt.

Caffienatedjedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 10:41:01 am »

Am I the only one thinking of making a giant sand castle if this  were to be added?
By that logic, wagons are the gods of war.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 12:44:42 pm »

Am I the only one thinking of making a giant sand castle if this  were to be added?

Not anymore.  :D

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 12:54:51 pm »

Dirt being changed so that it can partially fill tiles and be able to be waded in would probably cause Toady go into a strange mood and code in proper swamps and Hollywood quicksand  ::)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 01:33:06 pm »

Hmm, adobe blocks, and compacted dirt bricks.

Me likey, it causes less rock/wood dependency.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 01:36:33 pm »

Hmm, adobe blocks, and compacted dirt bricks.

Me likey, it causes less rock/wood dependency.

But it's a trade off for the sheer amount of bags required. Even if you have a steady increasing supply of bags it's a real hassle to get dwarves to collect sand/dirt. So it's a trade off for 'limited but quick' for 'unlimited but a pain in the beard to use'.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 09:14:52 am »

Not to discount the suggestion (I like it, and the commentary), but the first thing that jumped out at me was 'Pirates didn't bury their treasure!  They invested at 3 per cent!'... ;)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 10:27:57 am »

Not to discount the suggestion (I like it, and the commentary), but the first thing that jumped out at me was 'Pirates didn't bury their treasure!  They invested at 3 per cent!'... ;)

Well at least one pirate was known to do so.

Fuerte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 12:54:10 pm »

One thing that people might want to take note of is that medieval castle building used rubble as a filler inside their walls. With this implimented we could build a 4 tile thick wall with 2 bricks and then stuff the middle two tiles with filler, adding to the realism of the game.
Pages: [1] 2