Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Seeds under my floodgates  (Read 1820 times)

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
Re: Seeds under my floodgates
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 06:23:49 pm »

Can a closing floodgate crush someone?  If not, then a drawbridge is probably slightly more dangerous, as there's a chance of flattening some hapless dorf if it closes on them.  If floodgates can crush someone though, then a drawbridge is probably preferable in all situations (well, that I can think of, which may not be very categorical  ;) ).
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 08:21:42 pm »

No, the only thing floodgates can crush is liquid.  Hence the problem, that a stray seed or sock or whatnot can keep a floodgate from closing.

But, technically, closing the bridge isn't the issue -- it's opening it again, which is usually much less of a problem, especially if the bridge opens over a chasm or moat.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 09:00:37 pm »

Not to mention if any reason to close the main gate no longer require the main gate to be open, you can afford to be careful. And if it opens outwards, then any enemies crowding the bridge in anticipation of you sending out your troops would get crushed.

And yes, pits void all problems of drawbridges.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 09:10:01 pm »

At best, a bridge lowered would send your dwarf flying upward into the walls around your forts entrance and then have him fall into the moat to die slowly. At best, it launches your dwarves back inside your fortress at hyperspeed!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 09:24:18 pm »

At worst a raised drawbridge would leave the dwarf on the tile right next to whatever they are running from. At best, it would fling the dwarf at the goblins and take them out like bowling pins.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 01:47:54 pm »

if you use a drawbridge like doors I think theres a chance raising it MAY crush stuff on it.
I'm not sure if a bridge that is only 1 tile long (and no matter how wide) has that much catapult power.

So basically it would atomsmash dwarves on it once in a while, I guess.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 05:19:09 am »

Thanks for the generous replies, guys.

On this note, I noticed some other wierdness later: apparently, after I engaged the lever to raise the floodgates, the one with the seed underneath engaged after the seed was eventually removed, leaving me with one lowered floodgate and 2 raised floodgates. Pulling the lever again left the lowered floodgate lowered, and lowered the other 2, putting them back in sinc. This seems rather odd.

I guess what I'm looking for though, is somethink like a "no drop zone."

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 05:49:39 am »

On this note, I noticed some other wierdness later: apparently, after I engaged the lever to raise the floodgates, the one with the seed underneath engaged after the seed was eventually removed, leaving me with one lowered floodgate and 2 raised floodgates. Pulling the lever again left the lowered floodgate lowered, and lowered the other 2, putting them back in sinc. This seems rather odd.
Only gearboxes toggle - for other machines like floodgates, pulling the lever to the "ON" position always sets the gate to "OPEN", even if it was already open. The same applies to the "OFF" position.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 10:26:01 am »

The most odd part was that the floodgate closed after the obstacle was removed, even without further lever pulling.
Pages: 1 [2]