Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Helmthundered (Community Fortress)  (Read 3243 times)

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
Re: Helmthundered (Community Fortress)
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 06:15:15 pm »

1st of Granite Year 5, Fireheart's Jounal

For being labeled as a swamp on all the maps the Held Mire looks like a great place to build a fortress. It looks like most of the territory here is Felsite and Andesite which means there is a high chance of finding the fiery blood of the earth: Magma. We've found a perfect area to start excavating, soft loam for farming right near a brook and hopefully a nice variety of stone, ore and gems further in.

We have decided to name this fortress Zonamud which in Dwarven means Helmthundered.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 08:51:48 pm »

Fireheart's Journal

9th Granite

Today we started excavating the first rooms of our fortress. First of all were the storerooms for food and booze and another for wood and furniture. We had amazing luck and struck a vein of hematite in the food storage. I decided to leave it for now since I don't trust my skills to get much ore from it yet.

12th Granite

Finished moving the supplies underground. Legolord and Josh came to me today asking when I was going to get around to giving them workshops. I told them that mechanics and craft making weren't priority at the moment but that once we had some time I would see to their requests.

25th Granite

Not much to report today except that we got the farm going off the entrance. Once the harvest comes in Frea can go to work brewing up fine alcohol for us.

8th Slate

Expanded the hallways on the workshop level to accomadate the actual shops. We have plenty of Andesite from the halls so we set up the Mechanics, Crafts, Masons and Carpenters shops and a kitchen and still for Frea.

We struck a vein of Galena in the hallway which like the hematite will be left until we can get as much ore as possible from it. Looks like a good sized vein.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 09:34:12 pm »

Fireheart's Journal 19th Slate

My own lack of foresight came back to bite me today. I was reviewing the reports on jobs to be done and figuring out who could do what when I noticed we had almost everything EXCEPT a carpenter and woodcutter. Considering that we arrived here with only about 50 pieces of wood this is a heavy setback.

I've taken to making barrels and bins in the spare time when I'm not mining out hallways and rooms. We just have to hope there won't be any need for wood for a while.

In preparation for the caravan we knew would be arriving sometime in Autumn I assigned Josh to crafting mugs from some of the spare Felsite laying around. For some reason hes able to make 3 mugs from a single piece of Felsite. I don't understand it but I'm not going to complain about having more goods.

I've also set Frea to cooking and brewing before we run to low on food or precious booze.

22nd Slate

I finally had the time to dig out some simple rooms for us. Struck Orthoclase but left it for a less important moment.

5th Felsite

The others have been noting the lack of a proper dining hall so I've begun drawing plans for a dining hall that we can easily espand as we get more dwarves. I also sent Legolord to make some tables and chairs for us to use.

22nd Felsite

What is it about these dwarves and not knowing when to stop? I stopped by Josh's workshop today and found him up to his beard in mugs. I told him to stop making them and move the pile of mugs to the storeroom but apparently the storeroom has been full for a few weeks now. After this I took the last few logs we had and threw together a couple of rather cracked and lopsided bins to stash some of the mugs in. Now we are completly out of wood though and I can't spare a single dwarf to cut the trees right outside the entrance.

In other news we finally have furnished bedrooms for the 7 of us. Its just a small space with a bed and door but its definetly better then the floor. I've noticed the others looking a bit less annoyed over our situation.

We also expanded the food/booze stockpile in an optimistic hope that we could fill it before winter sets it cold grip on us.

OOC: Guys I need some feedback here. I know I'm not the most exciting writer but I'm doing my best here. My first years are always slow. Things will pick up once we get enough dwarves to activate moods, find the magma, get ambushed, etc.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 11:22:45 pm »

You need more hyperbole. Extreme exaggeration is always funny.

And do crazy stuff. Since losing is fun, the most creative way to lose is the funnest... just barely avoiding losing is also pretty cool.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 11:36:03 pm »

I'm working on it, though its probably going to take awhile for me to even reach Dabbling Hyperbole.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 12:42:15 am »

Don't worry about it.  Few people mind if you skip some of the uninteresting parts of the first year.  However, it might be to your advantage to add in some sort of internal strife; that always works well for a story, especially considering how champions can make external threats like a dragon attack look like nothing.  It gives you some sort of obstacle to overcome, even if it is imaginary.  Not to mention you can use it in the beginning years and late years to make up for a lack of other interesting material.

Take a look at The Tale of a Sensible Dwarf for a stunning example on how to do this.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:43:57 am by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 01:22:37 am »

I see what you mean Frelock. Just reading the first few entries has gotten my mind working on some interesting ideas for causing strife in the fortress.

Could have some good strife once the goblins and (hopefully) the undead start raiding.

I'll see what I can do for my next journal entry which will hopefully cover the rest of the year

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 03:29:46 am »

Journal entries of Josh:

Captain told to make mugs.

I make mugs, LOTSA mugs.

Captain is upset, Me don't understand why.

sleep.

end.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 03:39:30 pm »

Can I join as one of the migrants? Also I'm on  a mac.

Name:Yaddy1
Profession:I really don't care

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 04:01:19 pm »

I see what you mean Frelock. Just reading the first few entries has gotten my mind working on some interesting ideas for causing strife in the fortress.

In the first year, I occured? Funny, that. I suppose if I'm going to be cuased . . .

Name: Strife
Job: Armorer
Strife is an eccentric sort. He, first and foremost, believes that good, steel, heavy armor is crucial to a fortress's well-being. It would be his encompasing goal for everyone in the fort to have a set in reserve (long term, at  the very least). He'd like to train a small bit in the shield and sword, but strangely enough, carries an axe with him at all times. Sometimes, he likes to smash his armor suits, just to make sure that they work. He also likes to kill trees.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 03:04:50 am »

13th Galena Fireheart's Journal

Strife came running into my "office" today followed closely by Josh and Frea supporting Legolord between them. He didn't look good with all the blood pulsing out of his leg. Strife reported that an Alligator had come up from the brook while Legolord was on break and apparently though that Legolord would make a tasty snack. (I personally don't see why anyone would want to eat him, hes rather thin for a dwarf.) If I hadn't assigned Strife as our temporary woodcutter then he would probably be dead. Thankfully Strife heard his cries and arrived in time to cut the beasts tail off with his axe. Shoruke cleaned the wound and decided that a bit of rest was probably all he would need.

As they left I made a mental note to check the caravan for some better weapons once it arrived.

OOC: Legolord, you are ok. Your leg was just a brown wound when it happened and its already grey and your up and about making mechanisms.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:04:38 pm by thunderclan »

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 02:21:37 pm »

12th Limestone Fireheart's Journal

The wagons arrived from the Mountainhomes today. I gave the order for Josh's mugs to be taken up to the depot and went to meet the merchants. One dwarf introduced himself as Rimtar Nishzat our Liason. I sent him inside while I negotiated with the merchants.

We managed to get some wood, metal bars, meat, barrels, rum, leather, an iron anvil for our future forge and a cage of master quality with an image of our founding for most of Josh's mugs.

We were finishing up when Strife came running from the fort and grabbed a steel sword and shield out of the startled merchants hands and ran back inside. After giving the merchant a few more mugs for the sword and shield I went to find Strife. I found him in his room polishing his new equipment. According to him he heard a voice calling him, telling him to use the sword and shield as its former owner did.

Meeting with Rimtar I ordered wood, alcohol, and barrels. Even better then the goods were the letters from friends and family back in the Mountainhomes. Best of all was a sheet labeled The Underground Times
Apparently someone back home was possessed and created something he called a printing press and was using it to create this collection of stories from the Mountainhomes and nearby colonies.

The headline makes me glad that we left.
Death Toll Rises, Fortress Guard Baffled
Today brings two more in a series of random and unexplained killings. The latest victims Miner Eada Lightfounder and Metalsmith Lonah Shaleslayer were found in the cistern, apparently run through and then tossed into the water. Despite the Fortress Guards best efforts the killings continue.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 04:05:17 pm »

The funny thing here is that I actually am rather skinny  ;D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 04:14:03 pm »

Could you please make a list of whose playing because I have no idea if I'm signed up...

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 04:42:32 pm »

Currently Dwarfed

Thunderclan
Chaoticjosh
Shoruke
Strife26
Frelock