Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Military training  (Read 3573 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Military training
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2008, 02:04:19 pm »

But there would need to be a battle field experience stat for each weapon skill, as you may find unorthodox ways to use a weapon while battling unusual enemies or while fighting in circumstances that you don't get while training.  You could be the king in the fencing class, but if you don't know how to improvise in the real world, you won't beat that legendary warrior who has defended the land from thirteen massive attacks with little back up.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 02:08:22 pm »

I think I'm gonna have to agree with capping warriors at a certain level. I mean, would Beowulf be badass if he just sat around and trained? The highest skilled warriors should be rare. Average grunt should be competent enough to fight, but not enough to take out a whole squad by himself. Besides, I'd imagine it'd be a giant headache if it were done with 2 stats. Hmmm, Uritst McSwords over here is a master swordsdwarf, but is only dabbling in experience. However, Cog McMace is only competent, but is skilled in experience. Who's better? Its a lot easier to just look at master > competent.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 06:24:40 pm »

But there would need to be a battle field experience stat for each weapon skill, as you may find unorthodox ways to use a weapon while battling unusual enemies or while fighting in circumstances that you don't get while training.  You could be the king in the fencing class, but if you don't know how to improvise in the real world, you won't beat that legendary warrior who has defended the land from thirteen massive attacks with little back up.

For the first one, that would make more sense as battlefield experience for each creature. There aren't that many creatures that are odd (it can't be that different to fight goblins than to fight dwarves) and honestly most of that stuff could be "passed down" from champions (Imagine champions holding "what to do on the battlefield" classes). And actually, if that "legendary warrior" was also using fencing, and wasn't as good as you, you could whip his ass. One on one duels to the death are... well, that's sparring, just to the death. Bad example.

To the above: Two stats makes more sense. Weapon skill is technical proficiency with weapons, and battlefield exp. is experience under battlefield conditions (more resistance to fear, avoiding traps, spotting ambushes, more ability to fight while wounded, and some increase in skill, but not much).

To give you my concept of it, Battlefield experienced people are almost never going to be able to beat somebody with less battlefield experience but more weapon skill in a straight up, controlled fight. However, battlefield exp. guys are the dwarves who won't flee (military dwarves DO need to flee, it gets annoying when your concious dwarf with a broken weapon arm attempts to punch a squad of goblin axe users to death when he should be fleeing) and would be more effective on the battlefield, especially if they were squad leaders and sent to attack other bases (of course, this is all when the army arc comes out). Putting it all into weapon skill not only leaves the problem of forcing all your dwarves to be stuck in mediocricity in what is easily trainable, but also means that all the GOOD things about battlefield experience cannot be expressed. Also, Beowulf wouldn't have been as badass if he didn't kill monsters, but he would still be just as effective with a weapon.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:52:54 pm by Milskidasith »

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 06:45:20 pm »

I would really just like two things:
  -Separate sleeping barracks and sparring barracks (bed for sleeping and armorrack/weaponstand for sparring)
  -The ability to assign barracks to squad leaders, so I can separate the sparring of my unarmored royal guards and my up and coming sword users in full steel plate.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 07:01:25 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Goku may have gotten  a power level of 9000!!! through training, but when he fought those two dudes he got worked because he was fighting to wound, not to kill.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 07:12:52 pm »

Goku won that fight.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 07:42:06 pm »

Goku won that fight.
I vaguely remember there being two dudes that beat Goku in a fight.

Anyway, battlefield experience wouldn't do you much good if you switched to a different weapon than the one used to gain that battlefield experience.  The idea is that you may learn unorthodox (different than direct fighting) methods of using your weapon.  You may find a way to use a weapon when up against larger or smaller opponents that you may not learn fighting someone about the same size as you.  You cannot learn how to win a fight where someone is trying to kill you without first having some experience with a weapon.  If you are new with the weapon, but have a lot of battle experience with another type, that experience won't help that much, as you are a novice trying to use a sword the way you would a spear.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 08:19:36 pm »

I agree with that Lego. That's why I suggested battlefield experience be mostly about the ability to carry on while injured, the ability to both stay longer and know when to leave, better detection, dodging abilities, and other broad, non weapon specific types of experience. Also, just to tell you, there is little difference in the way you would use, at the very least, most martial arts techniques to hit a kobold or a human, and hitting a moving target with a crossbow is the same no matter what. Not sure about swords and such, but it is unlikely you would have any broadly varying techniques (besides that breaking bones is great for weak enemies and bleeding and wound damage is great for strong ones).

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 08:51:27 am »

Well, you may find that a horizontal slice would have a higher chance of hitting skinny creatures, while vertical slices would be more effective for short, stout dwarves creatures.
Just so I remember

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 09:18:23 am »

Well, you may find that a horizontal slice would have a higher chance of hitting skinny creatures, while vertical slices would be more effective for short, stout dwarves creatures.

Exactly. That is why battlefield experience should be very important later on. The key word here is: experience. Dwarves are sparring, thus they can be masters with a given weapon. However that shouldn't be "enough" in battles. The more they fight in real battles, the more effective and deadly they will be. They will have more chance to dodge/parry the incoming blows. They will know what tactic to use vs. certain entities.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 05:06:05 pm »

Are you kidding? I've taken Tae Kwon Do, and I knew, even from low level training, in what ways the strikes I was taught I could disarm (if possible. Obviously, the first warning was to get behind cover if somebody pulled a gun on you), stun, knock out, and kill somebody. The only thing being on a battlefield would teach you is how to deal with death, and we already have that (used to tragedy). Granted, it could be harder to get and have better effects, but being used to the battlefield doesn't make you any more technically proficient with a weapon (except the crossbow, and that's only due to movement, which could easily be solved if we could build gear operated rotating targets. Fun!).
I can't believe I almost missed this one.

There are many things you learn out on the streets that you can't learn in a controlled classroom environment. The first thing you learn is that no matter how good you are at fighting, if you're going up against someone who has +40 pounds on you, you will only embarrass yourself. The second thing you learn from fighting people outside of your discipline is that you don't know everything about fighting. Sure you can probably get someone in a perfect arm bar given enough time on the ground, but try going for it on a boxer and tell me how well that goes.

Yes, you can technically learn everything from a book and is almost always a prerequisite, but it just doesn't replace actual experience.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2008, 12:32:43 am »

Exactly. That is why battlefield experience should be very important later on. The key word here is: experience. Dwarves are sparring, thus they can be masters with a given weapon. However that shouldn't be "enough" in battles. The more they fight in real battles, the more effective and deadly they will be. They will have more chance to dodge/parry the incoming blows. They will know what tactic to use vs. certain entities.

That seems more like basic logic (to the top part) than combat experience, but I can see your point. I still don't think battlefield experience should be more important in one on one fights (IE: more "controlled" fights) than actual skill, though. Even if you know everything there is to know about the battlefield, if you can't swing a sword fast and get gobbo arms off before they can react, you are dead meat. I think a good ratio would be for it to be 3 skill to 1 battlefield experience with any kind of skill used in one on one combat, while battlefield experience would be entirely dominant in the fields of ambush spotting, attack dodging against multiple opponents, bonuses (or lower penalties, I'm not sure how the combat system works) to defending against multiple opponents, less fear while also knowing when to run (IE no battle experience dwarves will generally either fight hopeless battles or flee when they have a chance, with grizzled veterans more inclined to move towards a healthy middle ground), avoiding traps, and fighting with broken or worse injuries.

Basically, your dwarves aren't running on battlefield experience until the shit hits the wall and it becomes a real battlefield.

Are you kidding? I've taken Tae Kwon Do, and I knew, even from low level training, in what ways the strikes I was taught I could disarm (if possible. Obviously, the first warning was to get behind cover if somebody pulled a gun on you), stun, knock out, and kill somebody. The only thing being on a battlefield would teach you is how to deal with death, and we already have that (used to tragedy). Granted, it could be harder to get and have better effects, but being used to the battlefield doesn't make you any more technically proficient with a weapon (except the crossbow, and that's only due to movement, which could easily be solved if we could build gear operated rotating targets. Fun!).
I can't believe I almost missed this one.

There are many things you learn out on the streets that you can't learn in a controlled classroom environment. The first thing you learn is that no matter how good you are at fighting, if you're going up against someone who has +40 pounds on you, you will only embarrass yourself. The second thing you learn from fighting people outside of your discipline is that you don't know everything about fighting. Sure you can probably get someone in a perfect arm bar given enough time on the ground, but try going for it on a boxer and tell me how well that goes.

Yes, you can technically learn everything from a book and is almost always a prerequisite, but it just doesn't replace actual experience.

OK, 40+ pounds, to a master at tae kwon do against somebody who didn't know a thing, isn't much (especially if the Tae Kwon Do master works out, which is pretty likely). Hell, even to somebody who isn't a master but is well trained and has at least a decent amount of muscle, 40+ pounds wouldn't matter that much (of course, this depends on how much of it is muscle and how much is fat. A muscular person would pose a bigger threat, obviously). If the guy had a gun, I could see your point, but DF already has the "melee users die to crossbow users" thing going for it (which is realistic, and we should keep). Honestly, skill is far more important than weight in a fight, and to suggest otherwise was simply absurd.

Second, your example about a boxer is meaningless. You are saying that a master at Tae Kwon Do couldn't beat a master at boxing who had the weight advantage. I'm not entirely sure about the relative advantages the two styles have over each other (besides that I'm pretty sure boxers aren't trained in kicks or locks) but you aren't really giving any credence to your argument of street skills: It's two masters fighting each other, and neither profession has any inherent street skills to help in a one on one fight (not that those things usually help in a one on one fight anyway: As I've said, sparring isn't much different from one on one fights to the death, except IRL and to a lesser extent with dwarves, it doesn't have the "to the death" part).

So, besides a tasteless graphic, you haven't really contributed anything to this thread. Of course if you only take one style of fighting you wouldn't know everything, but dwarves already fight against all the different styles of martial arts that seem to exist in their universe (besides lashers) while sparring, and I already proposed increased dodging and defensive abilities for that (among other) reasons. So what, exactly, were you trying to prove?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:42:54 am by Milskidasith »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 11:12:46 am »

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna side with the training people.

Why?

Krav Maga. That shit is the most brutal, horrifically violent fighting style imaginable, and they teach you, from the outset, to destroy people. If you ever come up in a fight against a Krav Maga master, run, else he will tear your eye out, rip your balls off, and gouge out your throat, regardless of whether or not he has had to do it before.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 11:22:45 am »

That seems more like basic logic (to the top part) than combat experience, but I can see your point. I still don't think battlefield experience should be more important in one on one fights (IE: more "controlled" fights) than actual skill, though. Even if you know everything there is to know about the battlefield, if you can't swing a sword fast and get gobbo arms off before they can react, you are dead meat. I think a good ratio would be for it to be 3 skill to 1 battlefield experience with any kind of skill used in one on one combat, while battlefield experience would be entirely dominant in the fields of ambush spotting, attack dodging against multiple opponents, bonuses (or lower penalties, I'm not sure how the combat system works) to defending against multiple opponents, less fear while also knowing when to run (IE no battle experience dwarves will generally either fight hopeless battles or flee when they have a chance, with grizzled veterans more inclined to move towards a healthy middle ground), avoiding traps, and fighting with broken or worse injuries.

Well said, good points. I've never said that battlefield experience should be the most important factor in combat, but it must be important. I guess we agree finally.  :)

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 11:57:33 am »

OK, 40+ pounds, to a master at tae kwon do against somebody who didn't know a thing, isn't much (especially if the Tae Kwon Do master works out, which is pretty likely). Hell, even to somebody who isn't a master but is well trained and has at least a decent amount of muscle, 40+ pounds wouldn't matter that much (of course, this depends on how much of it is muscle and how much is fat. A muscular person would pose a bigger threat, obviously).
I'm assuming basic knowledge on the part of the bigger guy, such as if someone punches you in the gut you expect to be nailed in the chest etc... I've seen these fights happen multiple times in the club scene, I know every bouncer around here now and 80% of them fight like little girls, and they all had one thing in common. The lighter guy gets balled every single time. Why do you think there are class distinctions in professional fighting? Please cease this process of barfing your uninformed opinion all over the internet.

Second, your example about a boxer is meaningless. You are saying that a master at Tae Kwon Do couldn't beat a master at boxing who had the weight advantage.

Reading comprehension is severely lacking in your department. The quote was "Sure you can probably get someone in a perfect arm bar given enough time on the ground, but try going for it on a boxer and tell me how well that goes." In other words, try getting a boxer in a full arm bar from the standing position by any means you want to and you will be very disappointed.

As I've said, sparring isn't much different from one on one fights to the death, except IRL and to a lesser extent with dwarves, it doesn't have the "to the death" part).
I wasn't arguing against Dwarven combat tactics, I was arguing for size differences playing a role and the skill of countering combat styles outside of your discipline. I'm sure Muay Thai dwarves aren't specifically skilled on the topic of how to directly stop Jujitsu goblins.

So, besides a tasteless graphic, you haven't really contributed anything to this thread.
So, besides your tasteless opinion, you haven't really contributed anything to the internet. Are you proud of yourself?

Of course if you only take one style of fighting you wouldn't know everything, but dwarves already fight against all the different styles of martial arts that seem to exist in their universe (besides lashers) while sparring
How do you know that goblins practice the same "wrestling" dwarves do?
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5