Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Kobold Quest  (Read 6337 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Quest
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

Nobody has "too much" free time.  Nobody.  Doesn't matter what they say.  I'm right and they're all wrong.  Fact of life.

Anyways, just make sure that the kobold you're controlling doesn't go wandering off to do something.  That could prove bothersome.

Now, if there was only a way to make those damned bugs stay on a pit...  Or make it so that you could keep adding bugs to an already-covered pit.  I spent way too much time just trying to fit four bugs into one trap.  I had to start the process over again since my attention was drawn to two incursions from those adventuring-types in the time I was spending trying to shove some obviously antisocial bugs into one hole.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

Update:  I just got it to compile!  Hooray!  It only took like an hour!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Nah, it's not.  We actually started it back a couple years agoish, and you could move the wisp around and get the kids to follow you into mushroom circles where they'd be suspended.  And you could grow flowers and otherwise beautify your woods.  We were just starting up the town with the humans logging some of the trees when we were sort of looking at the plans for it and thought it would just work out a lot better with everything else in DF to back it up, so it was stopped.  It was called Little Lord Animals.</STRONG>

So this could be something put into DF long after everything else, like controllable Elf fort and Human fort mode? It would have to be after magic is implemented also, to allow for wisps and fairies.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Now, if there was only a way to make those damned bugs stay on a pit...  Or make it so that you could keep adding bugs to an already-covered pit.  I spent way too much time just trying to fit four bugs into one trap.  I had to start the process over again since my attention was drawn to two incursions from those adventuring-types in the time I was spending trying to shove some obviously antisocial bugs into one hole.</STRONG>

Your wish is my command!  Bugs now leave pits 1/10ths as fast, on average of course since it's a random number generator.

Only problem:  I can't compile with sound.  I will have to deal with that eventually.

Edit:  New additions, Kobold's now have basic AI, and will run from adventurers and pick up bugs!  However, they tend to pick up all the bugs, and I still have to prioritize their behavior.  But it's looking good!

Edit2:  Hooray, they panic, grab bugs, and throw them!  Still a few bugs to work out, though.  
 :D

[ May 01, 2008: Message edited by: Puzzlemaker ]

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 03:36:00 am »

Wow, that was fast.  We've already got basic behaviour for those extra cavedwellers.  I wonder what other goodies will avail themselves with such unexpected expediency...

Keep up the good work!  Any ideas for what to take a crack at next, after the bug-throwing has been debugged?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »

Well, getting sound to work.  I honestly have no idea where to start with that.

Here is the new .exe, tell me what you think.

CLICK HERE

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 04:56:00 am »

Brilliant!  There are a fw oddball items, of course, but it's certainly nice to have the spare kobolds actually doing something for you.

I actually had my hide saved by a well-thrown bug that hit the peasant behind me.  

Two main things trouble me.  First of all, kobolds don't really seem to grasp the concept of running away when they don't have a bug in their hands.  I think they may be trying to attack the peasants by moving onto them, the same way peasants attack kobolds.

Second, when the last kobold gets smeared across the floor, the game doesn't end.  It's just sitting there with a clouded-over cave and the message "no kobold selected" at the bottom of the screen.  It may be an isolated problem, but it still bears thinking about.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 07:16:00 am »

Running away is hard to do.  I have seen them run away, but there seems to be a couple of bugs with it.  I am trying to figure it out.  If there is a wall in the way they wont go anywhere, however.

As for the ending bug, that happened to me too.  I'll take a look at it.

Going to be fairly busy this weekend, going to the beach, and finals are coming up, but after school is over in about 2 weeks I should have more free time.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 10:40:00 am »

biggity bump?

I was thinking about becoming the Kobold's messiah...  But if Puzzlemaker'll do it...  Then awesome.  But if not...  Then I'll give it a shot.  Haha!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

I think Puzzlemaker has found other things to do for the moment...  If you think you can aid our gibbering friends, go for it!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 07:07:00 am »

Yeah, sorry I got distracted by LCS.

I might do Kobolds Quest later, I have some free time now that school is over.

Edit:  Yeah I feel bad for starting work on it then stopping.  I will prolly do a few things more, at least.  Only problem is the code base is not very... robust, so it's hard to add stuff.

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: Puzzlemaker ]

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »

'Key doke. So I just started working on it this morning...  I got it to compile and run!  I should probably get working considering I'm at work...  BUt meh!  Throw some ideas at me!  I'll do what Puzzlemaker did and get the other Kobolds to  run around and do shtuff.

I made a quick change or two to the code to make sure it was doing what it was supposed to...

What I've changed:
-Music/Sound doesn't work.
-Pressing "Wait for Adventurer" while waiting now cancels the wait.

Upcoming Features:
-Kobold AI.
-Easier picking of Kobolds.(It's annoying to scroll through an invisible list)
-Fixing Music/Sound

Suggest anything you'd like, and I'll try to put it in. ^_^

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Tylui ]

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

Invincibility cheat? Spawn-a-bug cheat?

I sorta suck at the game.

Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 01:41:00 am »

Dude, it's a Bay12 game.  You win when you lose.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lazer Bomb:
<STRONG>Invincibility cheat? Spawn-a-bug cheat?

I sorta suck at the game.</STRONG>

'Kay I'll put those in.  But I don't think you'll figure out how to use them.  ;)

Pages: 1 [2] 3