Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: precautions to using reveal.exe  (Read 1891 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
precautions to using reveal.exe
« on: November 21, 2008, 06:28:16 pm »

if i save scum before using the reveal, will that be all i need in case some bugs appear. or should i use reveal only on a second dwarf fortress folder so as not to ruin my forts?

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: precautions to using reveal.exe
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:43:53 pm »

I probably didn't quite understand the question, but generally if you don't want to ruin your fort by revealing things like magma and HFS (thereby removing the triggers for the buildings/demons) the best way to do it is to save the game PRIOR to revealing, load the game again, reveal, then use task manager to end the process preventing it from saving.

Alternatively if you don't want to mess about with task manager you could just copy the save into a backup folder, reveal, save and then reload the backup. It's your choice.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 06:53:49 pm »

o so i cant build magma buildings and demons wont spawn if i use reveal?

lets see if i got the save scumming right. open up the forlder, copy save, put it in my backround (or whatever its called), and then wehn i want to load erease the current save and replace it?

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 07:35:56 pm »

o so i cant build magma buildings and demons wont spawn if i use reveal?

lets see if i got the save scumming right. open up the forlder, copy save, put it in my backround (or whatever its called), and then wehn i want to load erease the current save and replace it?

Yes. Everything here looks correct. Also try proper spelling and grammar.

With respect to your first question: There should be no problem with just save scumming. No need to copy the whole program.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 07:51:26 pm »

i dont like proper grammar, as long as people understnad me im fine

Sophismata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 07:58:04 pm »

Don't be lazy.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 07:59:44 pm »

ok just tried it. designated and un designated the bottom with dig then used reveal. but just a screen about the same size of dwarffotress poped up for a millisecond, could make out any words (except i might have seen "dwarf") and i dont think anything was revealed....anyone know what i did wrong?

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 08:39:52 pm »

make sure you are using a current version (assuming your running .40). also, if there isnt anything to see (reveal doesnt reveal unremarkable stone does it? or maybe that is revealvein).
-Toast-_

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 11:43:27 pm »

1 more question

if i use reveal on 1 map...will i not be able to build magma buildings and fight demons on others?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 01:37:56 am »

Yes. Though i don't know how it works reclaiming a revealed map.
Magma is overrated.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 01:58:45 am »

lol ok still more questions

you said the most current version of reveal...ive only found 1 version. could you give me the link?

(if its the one where you have to download other programs then forget it)

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 07:34:31 am »

I used Reveal for the very first time myself recently, so I think I know what you'll want to know :) Here's my overview...

a) The DF Wiki is well-maintained, and a huge help not only for gameplay questions:

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Utilities#Reveal

b) The DF File Depot is also great, but I usually search for stuff on the Wiki and then look for wimbli URLs :)

This is the version I use (because I didn't have to install any additional drivers to use it):
"Old version of reveal (a tool that reveals tiles of a map in fortress mode), with updated memory.ini file for version 0.28.181.40d"

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=645

c)
Your DF data folder contains: data folders, and a save folder.

The data folders apparently stay the same no matter what you do - all they do is provide info to the game. Whatever you do is stored only in the save folder.

So it shouldn't be necessary to backup anything ... except dwarffort\data\save

d)
My own repro steps:
0. Extract http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=645 so all the files including reveal.exe are in your dwarffort folder.
1. Start DF. Keep playing with Location Finder and new worlds until I find an embark which I like.
2. Immediately after arriving, save the game.
3. backup the save folder (= copy the folder dwarffort\data\save to dwarffort\savescum\00start\save)
4. Start the game and continue.
5. Zoom to the bottom level, and assign all of it to be mined.
6. Remove Designation on the bottom level.
7. Doubleclick reveal.exe

You'll now get a little text window for like a split second.

Afterwards, all of the map should be revealed.

If you continue playing on the revealed map, you'll see serious bugs, so, erm, don't:

8. Scroll around the map, possibly noting highlights on a piece of paper.
9. Save the game
10. Make a backup of the revealed fort if you want (= move the folder dwarffort\data\save to dwarffort\savescum\00xstartRevealed\save)
11. make sure that dwarffort\data\save no longer exists
12. Restore the backup (from before you used reveal): copy the un-revealed save back into DF: copy dwarffort\savescum\00start\save folder dwarffort\data\save

e) Have fun :)

f) I did all of the above for my last fort, but then discovered that a) I haven't brought food on embark and b) I brought two cats. Did one false start which lasted a game year (during which the fort became increasingly filled with a miasmic purple haze ... first time I brought cats. Mistake.) This time I managed to build two cages and trap both cats before the damn creatures could adopt a dwarf. Now ... what's a fire snake? :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 07:37:51 am by Samyotix »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 06:30:09 pm »

For the record, init.txt, which has all sorts of important options, is in data/init.
And there's an encrypted copy of your raws in data/objects that prevents you from screwing the game over completely by modding wrong.
...Unless you delete that too.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 06:57:07 pm »

I remember starting out like you, after oooh it must be years now on this forum and quite a few months on Armageddon MUD I can't use incorrect grammar anymore if I do it grates on me and I have to go and change it.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 07:23:28 pm »

I remember starting out like you, after oooh it must be years now on this forum and quite a few months on Armageddon MUD I can't use incorrect grammar anymore if I do it grates on me and I have to go and change it.
Do you have any idea how much that failed?
...Do I really want to take the time to point it out even if you don't?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: [1] 2