Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Best pre-2002 Rpg  (Read 9281 times)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best pre-2002 Rpg
« on: June 01, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »

I was am hoping that you guys out there can suggest some old-school rpg's for me to play. What is the general consensus about these games.
I was thinking of games like:
Fallout 2
Diablo
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
Arcanum
Diablo 2

You can of coarse add to the list. I was just listing some of the games at the local EB games. I think my vote will go for Diablo 2 as it is the only one I have played (hence the reason for creating this topic).

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
Re: Best pre-2002 Rpg
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

Diablo: Plain old dungeon crawl.  Beat up lots and lots of demons.  Meh.

Baldur's Gate 2: YOU MUST PLAY THIS ONE!  YOU MUST!  "Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!"  Amazing game.

Arcanum: Good game, gives you lots of freedom.  Item creation system is great.  Molotov cocktails are nice to throw at monsters.  However, I prefer BG2.

Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

I've heard Planescape: Torment is amazing, but I've never played it.
Shoes...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

Fallout 1 and 2 - non-linear, free-roaming, good character interaction based on stats, good stat system (perks make it particularily interesting) multiple solutions to quests and good, gory turn-based combat.

Arcanum - if you want more character interaction like in Fallout 1 and 2 (perhaps even better), though the combat is considerably worse (features RT as well as TB modes).

Planescape Torment - deep storyline, interesting, alien world, lengthy dialogues, interesting story-telling ("death" can progress the main quest) and multiple solutions to tasks (dialogue based). Real-time with pause combat.

Darklands - party-based free-roaming game with randomly generated content and multiple ways of handling situations (stealth, persuasion, force, alchemy or prayer). One of the first games to feature real-time with pause combat, too.

Ultima 7 - party-based free-roaming game with lots to do and explore. All NPCs have complex daily schedules, making the world feel more alive. RT combat.

Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall - first-person, free-roaming, with randomly generated content, humongous dungeons you'll easily get lost in, a slew of guilds, topic-based (+tone mode) dialogue, multiple main storyline aspects plus 7 endings. RT combat.

If I were to vote on one, it'd be Fallout.

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Virtz ]

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

Planescape Torment and Fallout are quite possibly the epitome of RPGs everywhere. They haven't been surpassed yet. But Planescape Torment isn't for people who like trigger happy violence as I can only recall two parts of the entire game where I had to fight... hrm... The strength stat in that game is very neglected.

EDIT: One thing I personally loved about the Fallout series was that you never really had any idea if the choices you made and the solutions you found were good or bad. They were usually around the lines of "good enough for me". Even at the end, when the awesome narrator told you what effects you had on the world, you wouldn't be able to tell if they were really good at all or bad enough.

All those games that preached about their game's ability to make you choose between black and white, good or bad, stay neutral and have an impact on the world around you etc etc. Heh. Nothing compared to Fallout.

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

Pfft, speak for yourself. I'm getting my ass handed to me by Giant Skeletons left, right, and centre. I really should of rolled a more subtle character.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

Weren't there only giant skeletons in the beginning? In that cave-like place where you sit back and let Morte kill everything?

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

Yep. Haven't played the game for yonks, and only on my laptop, where it was really just a 'let's see what this game is like to avoid writing psychology assignments' playthrough. I've sadly not been able to devote enough time to playing it past that, which is a shame, because what little I have played has great potential.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »

Gothic.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

Heh heh... the memories come flooding back.

Planescape:
"I'm afraid if you remove that... I'll be naked." - Fall-from-Grace, beautiful lawful good... chaste succubus cleric who worships no god.

ARGH!!! LET ME REMOVE IT! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS EROTIC LET ME REMOVE IT!!!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

Hmm... Baldur's gate 2 seems interesting to me, I enjoyed Neverwinter nights D&D style game play so this would definitely suit me. Plus its only $5 at EB, so there seems to be no reason not to buy it.

Fall-out 2 looks good as well. Funnily enough, this game is what I had in mind to buy when I started the topic.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

I loved planescape too, it has really deep ideas in it and also features a very unique world.
You must pass it at least one time to consider yourself an "old school rpg player" (well not really too necessary, but HIGHLY recommended).
It was like a gloomy sad tale for me.

Fallout (generally 2) was on other hand a world where I lived for a very long time. It gave a lot of freedom and variety while the huge amount of quests kept me interested. The game with your own upgradeable Highwayman =).

(Sorry the text is in russian, it says "What was it, boss?" and I think it's Vic).

It had that cooool thing we all love in DF: shoot in their eyes, break their limbs and kick em in the groin.

Also BG2 is the only DnD computer game I like so much (well, I still love NwN multiplayer, but it is more linear in single and old "drawn" 2d graphics are more neat for me, also I used to play dnd 2 when I was a small boy so BG is closer to my heart).

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

Wow, if Diablo 1 and Baldur's Gate are considered 'old'-school, I must be getting old too!  

I remember the first time I saw Diablo.  I was 15, and it was a preview in an ad for Warcraft II.  It looked so awesome, I pre-ordered it 3 months in advance and the package got to my house a week after it came out in stores (I lost part of my sanity that week).  

After I got the game I got so addicted to it that my grades started to suffer.  So I uninstalled the game, put it back in its cardboard package, and told my parents to hide it where I would never find it again.  I told them, "no matter how hard I beg, DO NOT let me have the game back.".  Yeah...so to get an idea of what happened next, you'll have to watch the first part of this clip.  I finally did get it back.

I really miss the "old", old-school RPGs - they bring back great nostalgic memories, especially because they were made with such love.  They came with big boxes, thick manuals, cloth maps, and a mini-novel that set the stage for the premise of the game.  Back in those days, most PC games were developed by one or, at most, two programmers so they put their heart and soul into them.  I had as much fun reading the manuals and viewing the artwork than actually playing the games.  Now days you're lucky to even get a manual longer than 20 pages.    :(

Here's a few really great ones (and really old-school)    ;) :

The Magic Candle
Wasteland
Ultima III, IV, V
Ultima Underworld (The first one was better IMO)

You can download all of these at my site.  (By the way, Ultima III is pretty difficult to find)

Speaking of classic First-person RPGs, Wizardry 7 is a lot of fun.  I'm looking to buy Wizardry 8 as I've heard great reviews for it.  I've also heard of one called Wizards and Warriors that looks pretty cool.

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: lumin ]

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by lumin:
<STRONG>I really miss the old-school RPGs - they bring back great nostalgic memories, especially because they were made with such love.  They came with big boxes, thick manuals, cloth maps, and a mini-novel that set the stage for the premise of the game.  Back in those days, most PC games were developed by one or, at most, two programmers so they put their heart and soul into them.  I had as much fun reading the manuals and viewing the artwork than actually playing the games.  Now days you're lucky to even get a manual longer than 20 pages.   :(

Here's a few really great ones (and really "old", old-school)   ;) :

The Magic Candle
Wasteland
Ultima III, IV, V
Ultima Underworld (The first one was better IMO)

You can download all of these at my site.  (By the way, Ultima III is pretty difficult to find)

Speaking of classic First-person RPGs, Wizardry 7 is a lot of fun.  I'm looking to buy Wizardry 8 as I've heard great reviews for it.  I've also heard of one called Wizards and Warriors that looks pretty cool.</STRONG>

Wizardry 8 is great.

Wizards and Warriors, not so much.  It has a few game-breaking bugs, and also is not too good.

Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

Arcanum is a great game that doesn't get nearly enough love. Yes the boring combat is a downside, but it's more about talking to tons of interesting NPCs and solving quests in multiple ways and just soaking in the atmosphere than fighting anyway.

It's very open-ended too, though that's hardly a surprise since it was made by the Fallout guys.

Also, dwarves with guns.   :D

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6