Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Best pre-2002 Rpg  (Read 9273 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Re: Best pre-2002 Rpg
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2008, 06:27:29 pm »

I recently tried Fallout I to see what I had missed out on. The story seems to pick up rather slowly though, and I find the combat and exploration to be very slow paced, and not very fun actually. Usually I like turn-based combat in RPGs...

I never got much farther than the place where you kill all the radscorpions in a cave, and I explored Vault 15, which is... mostly empty. Both were rather boring. Does the game get better later on?

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2008, 06:38:24 pm »

Bleh, go south, you'll find some rather seedy, yet fun places to mess around in.

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2008, 10:03:48 am »

I still think Albion is one of the best RPGs ever made.

Then there was the Ishar series that were quite an achievement of that time. I'd definately recommend Ishar 2.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2008, 10:09:48 am »

I still think Albion is one of the best RPGs ever made.

Then there was the Ishar series that were quite an achievement of that time. I'd definately recommend Ishar 2.

Yeah Ishar was decent also, it was made by Silmarils.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2008, 01:29:30 pm »

Hm the old Wizardry games were pretty awesome, Realms of Arkania: Shadows Over Riva RPG was one of the best, and theres an ancient game called Knights of Legend, now that was decent also.

Wasn't Arkania that game where you spend the most part of your time looking for ingredients to cure every illness that you got from traveling? (frostbite, the runs, etc). That may sound like the Oregon Trail but I'm sure it was one of those european computer RPGs...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »

Hm the old Wizardry games were pretty awesome, Realms of Arkania: Shadows Over Riva RPG was one of the best, and theres an ancient game called Knights of Legend, now that was decent also.

Wasn't Arkania that game where you spend the most part of your time looking for ingredients to cure every illness that you got from traveling? (frostbite, the runs, etc). That may sound like the Oregon Trail but I'm sure it was one of those european computer RPGs...

That's Arkania alright. But only with people who don't know how to take proper measures. IE. People who go into frozen lands wearing only his pants and a warhammer. Arkania kills those people.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2008, 03:23:11 pm »

I recently tried Fallout I to see what I had missed out on. The story seems to pick up rather slowly though, and I find the combat and exploration to be very slow paced, and not very fun actually. Usually I like turn-based combat in RPGs...

I think Fallout is one of those games that blew your mind when you played it when it was originally released, but when you go back to play 10 years later it feels like utter crap.

Actually, I never really saw what was so great about it in the first place.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2008, 04:32:05 pm »

That's Arkania alright. But only with people who don't know how to take proper measures. IE. People who go into frozen lands wearing only his pants and a warhammer. Arkania kills those people.

Yep...^^ Also the combat system was decent in that game.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2008, 04:52:28 pm »

My star trail original is bugged... I tried today... Lots of glitches... I'm sad now... :<

*goes look for it in abandowarez*

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2008, 05:51:39 pm »

I think Fallout is one of those games that blew your mind when you played it when it was originally released, but when you go back to play 10 years later it feels like utter crap.

Actually, I never really saw what was so great about it in the first place.
If you didn't, then you probably aren't a big fan of role-playing games. Because this was the big strength of Fallout. The values you assigned to your character actually MATTERED. Also, there were many different ways of solving most "quests", and you could make friends (or not) with various different (conflicting) parties. And then there were the many small details, like the various pop-culture references, or the stylish things like the pipboy drawings or the clever mix of science-fiction and steampunk lowtech...
And last but not least, it was very funny, as well.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2008, 06:16:10 pm »

If you didn't, then you probably aren't a big fan of role-playing games. Because this was the big strength of Fallout. The values you assigned to your character actually MATTERED. Also, there were many different ways of solving most "quests", and you could make friends (or not) with various different (conflicting) parties. And then there were the many small details, like the various pop-culture references, or the stylish things like the pipboy drawings or the clever mix of science-fiction and steampunk lowtech...
And last but not least, it was very funny, as well.

Actually, it's the other way around.  I don't think Fallout (or Baldur's Gate for that matter), is very good at being a role-playing game.  See my thread.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2008, 05:26:20 am »

If Fallout and Baldur's Gate are not RPGs, then there exist no RPGs on the computer.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2008, 09:41:00 am »

Although this isn't an RPG, if you haven't played Thief you should. 1 or 2, deadly shadows not so much.

As for RPGs, I'm kind of suprised that Icewind Dale hasn't been mentioned. I've only played the second game (loved the music, but since it was release 2002 it doesn't count). Temple of Elemental Evil was also too late (2003). Arx Fatalis was a 2002 release as well.

As for actual pre-2002 games that haven't meen mentioned yet:
Betrayal at Krondor (and sequels), Lands of Lore, Entomorph (it had its charm).

NetHack, ZAngband and ADOM oughta be here as well.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]